Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
Many of us did (including SmokeyB I think too) and she turned our advice down many times.
One thing puzzles me, what age is the dog?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
One thing puzzles me, what age is the dog?
five months....
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
five months....
A baby??
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:58 PM
but she said she had the dog 5 months (from earlier posts)....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2011, 10:25 AM
**Please do not start debating e collars in this thread and note the announcement here...
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=139606
Thank you.
Some posts may be edited or removed.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I dont think putting Pippam on the spot like this will help anyone least of all Pippam & her dog. Its likely to put her off coming to the thread at all. From what i have read she isnt applying any of CMs tactics anyway. Is it not better to try & help with problems folk may have with their dogs rather than condemn them for liking a celebrity trainer

Folks - is there no one near Pippams area who could help her or could recommend a good trainer?
Yes - I have done.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Yes - I have done.
Is the pup only 5 months?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
theyre basic animals who are intelligent to learn something we teach them and thats it, they dont have rationalisation or opinions like our mind does.
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
We are learning more and more about how our dogs think, learn and 'feel'. We've come a long way from the thinking that dogs couldn't think at all and now all the evidence suggests that they are sentient beings with more reasoning power than they have ever been credited with.

The ingenuity and reasoning power our dogs have can be nurtured or it can be suppressed - much like children. Nurture it and we are constantly amazed at their power of thought
Sorry if I am repeating/bringing the thread back..but I only got as far as Brierley's post (good post btw)

I only find it sad that we need studies etc to be able to realise this.

My dog will initiate play; he must FEEL playful and has THOUGHT about how to start play...
My dog will copy; its not something he has to do, so he must be THINKING about trying it...
I taught my dog that if he gave me his bone, I'd give him something back (never told him that it worked the other way). He then gave me something (and wanted my food ) So he must have THOUGHT about how he could get the food.
My dog seen me laugh at him, so he repeated the behaviour. He must enjoy seeing me happy, having a laugh with him.
He has a comfy bed, but he likes to be close to me, so he must FEEL it is more rewarding to be near...

Dogs think, feel, learn, communicate really well and it is right there in front of us.

but Leonardo da Vinci had it right; There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.

Notice he said people, not dogs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I think for me the whole CM thing boils down to the fact that dog ownership and dog training is meant to be a pleasure not a chore.
CM seems to to see dogs as surrogate wolves and in an adversarial context, he seems to miss the whole concept of human/dog bonding and dogs wanting to obey because doing so is a rewarding experience, they don't need to be forced to obey .

Dogs and humans have co habited and working together for hundreds of years. Dogs have been specifically bred over many generations to be part of a human partnership .
My dogs are my friends, they build a bond of trust with me and soon learn which behaviour brings a reward (and this can be in the form of food/praise/play) and which behaviour is undesirable because it brings no reward.

I find it very sad that the whole concept of a 'partnership' with ones dogs seems to bypass some people and CM, they are missing out on a wonderful life enhancing experience.

I found this person on the Internet, he speaks a lot of sense and explains 'Why Cesar Millan is Yesterday's Dog Trainer. Notice the clips of CM 'training' and the incidence of redirected aggression.
You don't need to be 'a dog trainer' to appreciate CM's way is not the best way to build trust/a partnership with a dog. All it takes is a little common sense and willingness on the part of the owner to work with their dog patiently/consistently to achieve a lifelong mutually rewarding partnership .
Dog ownership and training for me is all about 'communication not domination' as the person in the video puts it .

http://www.youtube.com/user/zakgeorg...11/f5A7-kYe5jY
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I think for me the whole CM thing boils down to the fact that dog ownership and dog training is meant to be a pleasure not a chore.
CM seems to to see dogs as surrogate wolves and in an adversarial context, he seems to miss the whole concept of human/dog bonding and dogs wanting to obey because doing so is a rewarding experience, they don't need to be forced to obey .

Dogs and humans have co habited and working together for hundreds of years. Dogs have been specifically bred over many generations to be part of a human partnership .
My dogs are my friends, they build a bond of trust with me and soon learn which behaviour brings a reward (and this can be in the form of food/praise/play) and which behaviour is undesirable because it brings no reward.

I find it very sad that the whole concept of a 'partnership' with ones dogs seems to bypass some people and CM, they are missing out on a wonderful life enhancing experience.

I found this person on the Internet, he speaks a lot of sense and explains 'Why Cesar Millan is Yesterday's Dog Trainer. Notice the clips of CM 'training' and the incidence of redirected aggression.
You don't need to be 'a dog trainer' to appreciate CM's way is not the best way to build trust/a partnership with a dog. All it takes is a little common sense and willingness on the part of the owner to work with their dog patiently/consistently to achieve a lifelong mutually rewarding partnership .
Dog ownership and training for me is all about 'communication not domination' as the person in the video puts it .

http://www.youtube.com/user/zakgeorg...11/f5A7-kYe5jY
Very true Minhaha, I must admit I tend to see him as a relationship screwer upper when it comes to dogs and their owners ...

Wys
x
Page 99 of 102 « First < 49 89 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 >