View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cov Luke
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 08:37 AM
A friend of ours won a competition to have a chat with CM when he was in the UK, she had a problem with boystrous Labrador pulling getting to excited and being a danger whilst walking with the pushchair at the same time, she was dubious as to wether he could help, he shown her a few things and explained some things to her, when she implemented herself,complete change.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by CesarMillanFan View Post
A friend of ours won a competition to have a chat with CM when he was in the UK, she had a problem with boystrous Labrador pulling getting to excited and being a danger whilst walking with the pushchair at the same time, she was dubious as to wether he could help, he shown her a few things and explained some things to her, when she implemented herself,complete change.

what things?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Lead training is a basic. It`s quite sad that someone needs to see a TV personality in order to find out how to train the most basic skill after toilet training.
Hieronymus
New Member!
Male 

23-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by HannahCB View Post
I think he is fantastic the method he uses is so simple and common sense really when you think back to the dogs ancestor the wolf. I in last few days since watching the programme and reading the book have noticed a huge difference in the way i behave towards Noah (newf 9months 120lbs) and the way he behaves around me. I could only walk Noah on a dogmatic a few days ago and over night the change in my energy means i can walk him on collar without being dragged down the street its unbelievable I have been trained not the dog. i truly recommend reading the book!!!!!
Some of the techniques he uses work but they work not because of the reasons he says but by applying learning theory which is almost wholly accepted worldwide by the scientific dog teaching community as being what actually goes on when a dog or any animal learns.

Yes, dog's are descended from wolves but aren't wolves. Pack theory or alpha theory has been almost totally debunked by everyone in the scientific community as being nonsense, including David Mech, who was the guy who first coined the phrase "Alpha Dog".

Pack thoery has been derived to captive wolf packs who don't behave like wild wolves and aren't dogs in any case which is where we het all these ridiculous rules from like going through doors first.

Physical aversives aren't necessary or humane and if they aren't necessary, should we be applying them to our canine companions who we have an absolute duty to look after?
India
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Love or hate him I don't think anyone could argue with the fact that he has shown so called "dangerous" breeds such as the pit bull, in a better light.
Cov Luke
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Not entirely sure what things, I know controlling excitement was one
Re: Claire it wasn't just basic lead training so I would really appreciate it if you didn't make assumptions and show new members a little decency please, thank you. There are some people in life that make simple yet bad errors when bringing up they're dogs and they dont realise they're doing it, so if a TV personality can help them and get them closer to their dog then so be it, agreed its not everyone's cup of tea but that's what makes us human.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2011, 10:07 AM
fair dues, we should all show respects to each other.

i dont think you can say CM gave your friend a 'magic pill' though, if you dont know what it was?
im thinking it may have been something others dog trainers would have said as well?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2011, 11:28 AM
[quote=Krusewalker;2335781]fair dues, we should all show respects to each other.

i dont think you can say CM gave your friend a 'magic pill' though, if you dont know what it was?
im thinking it may have been something others dog trainers would have said as well?[/quote]

That may be very true but what you have to ask yourself is would they have gone to or listened to any other trainer. If all he did was teach them something many other trainers would have done, then there is no harm done.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Cesar's way

Have a perfect furry robot in 30 minutes all it requires is:

That you accept that dog's only have 2 settings, dominant and submissive.
Any reactions/behaviours other than ones you request are the dog being dominant. Don't worry if your dog appears afraid of something, it isn't, it is only afraid of not being dominant over it.

When alpha rolling your dog:
Don't be in anyway alarmed if your dog tries to fight it, it is only miffed that it is losing its dominance over you.
It couldn't possibly be reacting out of fear/confusion at being man-handled for reasons it doesn't understand. No, that kind of thinking is just silly.

When Stringing up your dog:
Again don't be alarmed if your dog fights it, its not a fight/flight reflex inniciated by having its airway restricted by the slip lead. It is just having a tantrum because you're asserting your dominance and its not getting its own way.
Make no mistake, when your dog allows you to pin it, it is out of respect to your alpha status. Notbecause it is oxygen deprived, scared but now lacks the strength/will to continue fighting.

When using an ecollar on your dog:
Firstly, remember to combine the shock with the tsst noise, this will insure your dog understands that the tsst is something to be obeyed. Otherwise your dog may think you want to play. Remember, play is just a cute/fun way of your dog saying it is incharge and not, because play and affection are enjoyable for the both of you.

When directly using the shock to assert your dominance:
Understand that the dog knows this and knows exactly why that uncomfortable/painful stimulas is being issued. It is because you want him/her to avoid the sound of car dors closing, or to not sniff that patch of grass or p on that lamp post...or was it that you didn't want them to chase the cat. Oh now I'm confused.

Please note:

Finger jabbing, nudging/kicking your dog are perfectly acceptable methods to use too. After all, you're doing what all dogs already do to each other.

Also, it is perfectly acceptable (provided it is for the tv) to employ people to windup your dog before you go infront of the camera to rehabilitate it. It isn't reinforcing the dog's behaviour, it is simply making the show more exciting for the viewers.

Of course, it is also entertaining for you the dog's owner/trainer to watch your dog/human agressive dog try and bite the target of its agression and fail. Never mind that it is the very thing that has been frustrating you for who knows how long.

Eta
This post is rated H for intended humour.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Lead training is a basic. It`s quite sad that someone needs to see a TV personality in order to find out how to train the most basic skill after toilet training.

I do not find it sad that anyone needs help in how to lead train a dog, it is after all one of the most COMMON if not THE most common problems owners complain of, pulling on the lead. (I think JD mentions it in the CC)

Nobody popped out of the womb knowing how to train dogs, just like nobody popped out of the womb knowing how to rear babies.

If they did, there would be no reason for forums like this would there?

Do you find it "sad" that people consult forums like this for advice?

TV personalities draw attention to issues of all kind and increase interest and even raise funds for worthwhile causes.

CM may not be your cup of tea or mine, but if he motivated someone to seek help then it is a win win situation is it not?

A win for the dog (who no longer has to suffer) and a win for the owners who are not at risk of sciatica.
Page 92 of 102 « First < 42 82 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 > Last »