Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2005, 08:30 PM

Derren Brown

Genuine or fake???

I dont know! Id like to believe he really can do all the mind control and spooky stuff he does, but im not sure
What about you guys?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Im not sure Ive never watched any of the programs he does.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-05-2005, 09:00 PM
He's fake im afraid.

I enjoy watching his shows because although im fascinated with weird things-im the eternal sceptic and dont believe.I watched the one where he did a seance and all the peeps involved were genuinly terrified.But at the end of the show-he led out the 'dead girl' they had been in contact with-which proves he is a master of illusion and suggestion.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Oh i didnt know what Steve, thanks
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2005, 09:12 PM
I think he's genuine, but it depends what you mean by fake! He says at the beginning of the programme that most of it is done by the power of suggestion, psychology etc so he's not saying that its 'magic'. Im studying psychology at Uni and have done research into these kind of things and its amazing what you can make some do and/or think just by telling them in a certain way!

I thought the show tonight was really good! I love Derren Brown!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Like to believe it but really not sure. Would have to be in person.
Soph
New Member!
Female 

06-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Was anyone else really disturbed by tonight's show? Normally I enjoy it massively but tonight had me thinking surely this is illegal. I mean, you hypnotise someone without their permission and basically torture them and scare the willies out of them - put them in a situation where they think they are killing people??? Isn't that the kind of thing that could have lasting psychological effects? I thought the victim was remarkably forgiving. And how could his friends let him go through that?

Liked the mass card trick last week though.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Yes Steve I saw that one, it was very good.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Yes Steve I saw that one, it was very good.
Hello Ashlady

The reason i wanted to watch this particular episode is because in my teens-myself,friends and a lady who had experience in seances did one.The lady went round the table asking the 'spirit' who it wanted to contact and stopped at me.Cant remember who or what the message was about (happened nearly 20 years ago),but a friend gained some information he previously knew nothing about.

The spirit (or whatever you want to describe it) was apparently his long time dead grandad and briefly told him about his radio controlled airplanes he used to fly.Later on when we went back to his mums house (we were only 16),he asked his mum if his grandad used to have radio controlled airplanes-she said "yes and how did you know about that-he died when you were only 4 years old".

I know on the program,he said the glass moved about the table to the relevant letters because the people were wanting it to go to particular letters,but i do not believe any of us at the time actually did with our fingers.

I know im the eternal sceptic,but after almost 20 years-i still cannot explain how all this happened.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2005, 10:51 PM
That's the point of Derren Brown though, he is the master of illusion and suggestion! He's not a psychic, just knows what you're thinking! Loved the seance thing, can't believe that people fell for it like they did though! Not sure about tonights show, was worried that it was a bit unfair using someone in an experiment that they were unaware of! What if they'd been epileptic, those flashes could've sent someone into a fit????
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >