04-05-2005, 08:24 PM
OkeyDokey Azz
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
I think sometimes newbies arent always aware of it DM so may not use it
Ive only recently joined and didn't know about it until a thread popped up about it. Being new i didnt know how to use it, what was 'worthy' of a rep point or the popularity of the system and the explanation didnt really make sense...although it does now...sort of!!

However, not knowing anyone i still feel a bit strange about giving points out if that makes sense? sorta 'its not my place' kinda feeling..weird i know so can i give points out on back dated posts where ppl helped me out? As i feel quite bad now!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by derbyrottie
can i give points out on back dated posts where ppl helped me out? As i feel quite bad now!
I think you can - Azz?????
Better check with the boss before I give u false information
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by derbyrottie
However, not knowing anyone i still feel a bit strange about giving points out if that makes sense? sorta 'its not my place' kinda feeling..!
You dont have to be *pally* with another member to give out posts so dont let being new and not knowing people put you off

If someone posts and you think *what a really good post/topic* then give em a point
and the same if someone is being abusive etc- take one away if you think it warrants it (but not for silly things)

There is also an option to report bad postings to admin too- there should be an icon next to the scales at the top
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-05-2005, 08:33 PM
yes - points can be given for old posts too. So newbies, once they get their 'power' can go and say thanks for any help they might have recieved.
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2005, 08:36 PM
good stuff! Ta for clearing things up
ziggar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2005, 08:50 PM
this is the way i see it at the moment

if you give someone a point for making a helpful/good/nice post then thats good
however, if that same person then posts something that really annoys you and makes you want to give them a negative you are stopped by the "spread it about" rule
or if youve already given them a neg and feel that they deserve another one for a different post then you are stopped again

this is effectively stopping you from using the system properly as you then have to look around for X amount of posts/people to give points to whether you want to or not
which means X amount of people get points that they may not have otherwise gained
thereby elevating some people to heights unobtainable by others simply because they are not as well known as others are (human nature - you give to people you know first)

i fully understand the reason for having safeguards in place
and im not saying they should be taken away
but maybe they should be looked at differently

personally ive only got a small amount of points and being more of a lurker than a one a minute compulsive poster i dont think that the system will ever worry me

its a nice option to have a "reputation"
but at the moment there seem to be too much vagueness in the system

Z
Runstock
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by ziggar
personally ive only got a small amount of points and being more of a lurker than a one a minute compulsive poster i dont think that the system will ever worry me
Hence the Profile pic... healthy disregard for 10 easy credits... hat off to you
ziggar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2005, 09:32 PM
im not knocking it at all
i think it could work and be a good feature of the board
but at the moment people seem to be attaching far too much worth to it
people seem to think its the end of the earth if they get a neg against them
its early days and things need to be worked out
things need to be more evened out

Z
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Don't even think/worry about negative points (heck I might even turn them off) think about it as a positive excersize - so concentrate on giving out the good points

Negative points will be assessed on a regular basis and if admin feel they were not warranted, they will be discarded/deleted. So the golden rule is think positive
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >