View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2005, 08:00 PM
You can see the comment if you can guess the post where the person gave you the reputation.

Graeme
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2005, 08:00 PM
All above my head, we are all equal under one god.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Yes and no...

Some people have more rep power. Me for example, every time I 'give' rep (neg or pos) the amount given is 10+ or 10- ( the starting point is 1+ or 1- for everyone else) however don't worry as even Admin have restrictions in place!

I wont going into the exact details (as they are secret) but here's an idea..

As we progress through the 'system' your powers will also change. Obviously zero is the bottom (people who have 'negative' points (in minus) are on zero power - so they can't give points (neg or pos) to anyone else, preventing them taking it out on everyone else!).

People who have not yet made 20 posts can not give out points.

People get more power the length of time they have been 'active' members

People get more power depending on how many posts they've made (allthough this is set quite high to prevent abuse)

Moderators have more rep power.

Most importantly, people with more rep get more power.

Don't worry as none of the changes are drastic, for eg, Mods only have an extra one point in their power (so give out 2 each time).

And to top it all off there are lots of measures in place to prevent abuse
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
C'mon all lets make the rep system really work

Give rep points out to those that are helpful in answering your questions whether dog related or site related.

Give rep points out to those that make you feel welcome.

Give rep points out to those that are there for you when need a shoulder/ear.

Give rep points out to those that brighten up your day

Only take away points if someone has really done something to upset you.

For more info on rep points see here: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=7604
Azz - your title here is interesting.
You say let's make the system really work - does that imply that you don't think it's really working? Or that DWers are reluctant to use it?

I have tried to use it in the past for exactly the situations you describe. Then I get the 'spread it around' message' and lose enthusiasm. I am not intent on dishing out 'conduct marks' (as they were at school!) and certainly wouldn't join any gangs to either promote or demote anybody.....surely admin/mods could prevent/remove that?

Sorry to go on (and on and on and on........ ). I think it should be a really good feature - but it's not quite there.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Ok, I've brought the 'reputation spread' number down a bit
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 08:14 PM
I think sometimes newbies arent always aware of it DM so may not use it
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
Azz - your title here is interesting.
You say let's make the system really work - does that imply that you don't think it's really working? Or that DWers are reluctant to use it?

I have tried to use it in the past for exactly the situations you describe. Then I get the 'spread it around' message' and lose enthusiasm. I am not intent on dishing out 'conduct marks' (as they were at school!) and certainly wouldn't join any gangs to either promote or demote anybody.....surely admin/mods could prevent/remove that?

Sorry to go on (and on and on and on........ ). I think it should be a really good feature - but it's not quite there.
Also, you have to bear in mind (well I have to) that not everyone is as lovely as you you are too innocent DM! There are nasty pasties around and we have to have measures in place to be able to effectively deal with that

The reason I made the thread was because I saw Graeme help someone with something, which reminded me that we have loads of really helpful people here on DW and I just wanted to remind everyone that they can 'reward' such people via the point system

I didn't pay much attention to the title when I wrote it sorry!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Azz another idea to make them work is to tell people which post gained them the point. At the moment you have to guess and if like me you don't check rep points daily -0 or sometimes weekly you have no idea

A. Who gave you the point?
B. Why they gave you the point?
C. Which post gained you the point?

And I really can't see that there would be any reason to gang up on one person I can't see that happening at all.

What have you reduced the number we need to spread too?

Karen
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=eRaze]Also, you have to bear in mind (well I have to) that not everyone is as lovely as you you are too innocent DM!
QUOTE]

Oh - don't you just love this virtual world? It's so nice being anonymous and thought "innocent" !
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Kazz - Too many people were getting 'concerned' about recieving neg points when they were being shown them in the user control panel. Funnily enough, since I've taken that away no-ones worried about it! (so its best left off). I think so long as people know what 'number' they are thats sufficient.

The spread is set to 12 for now, but this will go back up when we get more and more members...
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »