Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-05-2005, 06:39 PM

Let's make reputation points work!

C'mon all lets make the rep system really work

Give rep points out to those that are helpful in answering your questions whether dog related or site related.

Give rep points out to those that make you feel welcome.

Give rep points out to those that are there for you when need a shoulder/ear.

Give rep points out to those that brighten up your day

Only take away points if someone has really done something to upset you.

For more info on rep points see here: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=7604
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-05-2005, 07:16 PM
The fact that you after giving a negitive point to a certain person you have to give 20 other people a rep point till you can give another point to that person invalidates this idea.

The basis of the idea is a good one, the 20 thing makes it stupid.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Azz

Here's a copy of something I posted last week in forum support.
Quite a few agreed with the basis of my argument.
Don't know if you saw it?

"This may be a long post, so bear with me!

The idea of rep points seems excellent. It should give admin the information to know which members are well respected and whose company and contributions are welcomed. It should also do the converse and illustrate if any members are getting under the skin of the majority on a regular basis. (not from an odd eccentric posting).

I don't think the current MO does. (But maybe I'm not using it properly - if not please tell me)

The 'give a point but don't come back to give that member another point until you've given 19 others' is wierd. Unless I go crazy and find 40 or 60 or 80 random members to give a single point to, it means that any one member whom I really appreciate, or has made a superb posting, can only ever be one point ahead of any other member. Even if I did do the 80 rep point scattergun, the person I really wanted to 'reward' would only be 4 points ahead. It doesn't allow diferrentiation between an occasionally useful poster (?me ) and the real 'stars'. Similarly, on the other side, it doesn't show when a member has an off day and posts something they shouldn't (?me ) and a total pain in the fundament who gets everyones' back up.

Does that make sense? Or is the idea that we should look to be handing out masses of points? I thought the results we received after the first trial seemed to indicate a level of award which I would have anticipated, not hundreds per person.

Another odd point. I read a very 'odd' vaguely unkind posting from a member whose opinion I normally respect. I was disappointed and tried to give a disapprove point but because I had at some point earlier given them a good rep point, wasn't allowed to.....got the "go and spread some more reputation around" message.

So, I think reputation points are a really good idea but the system could do with some refinement. Possibly give us each a discrete number per day/week/month, to be used as we wish, or modify the 'one in twenty' and allow some differentiation between + and - to the same person.

Sorry to have gone on but Emma's 10 point offer prompted me to post. I'm not selling a pic for 10 points under the current system

signed
Mrs Nit-Pick
Dorset"

Like most of the others, the basic idea is good - I just think it needs a polish!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by galty
The fact that you after giving a negitive point to a certain person you have to give 20 other people a rep point till you can give another point to that person invalidates this idea.

The basis of the idea is a good one, the 20 thing makes it stupid.
It does not invalidate the idea at all - you have your say, give someone what you think they deserve and move on. Why should you be able to effect someone's reputation beyond that capacity?

We simply don't want just one person being able to have a 'massive' impact on someone elses rep (unless they are admin offcourse ), it just wouldnt be fair. Who's to know you don't have it in for that person? Who's to know you haven't joined a 'gang' to 'get/give to' that person?

This way it's what the majority thinks that count, not one or two people conspiring to effect someones rep either way.

Not everyone has the same 'power' however, but everyones vote does count, as they say. People with more rep have more rep power, people who have been with us longest, get more rep power, people who have promotions behind them (mods etc) have more rep power, people who have posted loads also have more rep power. All these things come together to form a powerful concept. It's not a 'quick fix' thing - the benefits of the rep system will be seen down the line

(I hope that addresses your points too DM)
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi Azz.

I like the idea behind the reputation points. However it irritates me that I have to spread the rep points around to 20 more people before I can give any more out. That is irritating as DM has already put the case better than me.
I like the whole idea but not the fact I HAVE to give 20 people points before I can give another out, and I can't give a disaproving point if I have given them a good point .

I like the idea of having so many points to give out a week ie 20 points a week to give out and use them wisely. You can't hold them over to the next week each Sunday or Monday you get 20 points. Use them at your own pace.

Karen
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
It does not invalidate the idea at all - you have your say, give someone what you think they deserve and move on. Why should you be able to effect someone's reputation beyond that capacity?

We simply don't want just one person being able to have a 'massive' impact on someone elses rep (unless they are admin offcourse ), it just wouldnt be fair. Who's to know you don't have it in for that person? Who's to know you haven't joined a 'gang' to 'get/give to' that person?

This way it's what the majority thinks that count, not one or two people conspiring to effect someones rep either way.

Not everyone has the same 'power' however, but everyones vote does count, as they say. People with more rep have more rep power, people who have been with us longest, get more rep power, people who have promotions behind them (mods etc) have more rep power, people who have posted loads also have more rep power. All these things come together to form a powerful concept. It's not a 'quick fix' thing - the benefits of the rep system will be seen down the line

(I hope that addresses your points too DM)

Hi Azz me again. So are you saying although we can all give rep points and we are equal some are more equal than others - so if I get a rep point from Carole for arguments sake. Then how many rep points does that give me?
And if I get a rep point from someone relatively new does that only give me 1/2 a point? and how does a negative from a person with lots of rep power count against me??????????????????????????
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Negative rep points should only be given when someone posts an ofeensive or abusive post in my opinion

having to give a further 20 before you can give another to the same person can help eliminate those posters who have an *axe to grind* so to speak
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 07:54 PM
But that is something Admin could monitor making sure one person does not give out "a spate" of negatives points and I like the idea of knowing who ave you what.Or at least the reason why you got the point.

I mean there is a box that says "reason" or something but I can't find any remarks that anyone has left for mine
Karen
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Who's to know you haven't joined a 'gang' to 'get/give to' that person?
Just to be pernickety I don't see how the current system prevents this?

I agree with the 20 point system but wouldn't 10 suffice?

Also is it possible (I know I should know this) to make it so someone can just give a person reputation rather than have to find a random post by that person. I'm just thinking that the Mentors probably use the PM system to help people and should be able to rewarded as such.

Graeme
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Is that box still there? i thought it had been removed ?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »