Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:20 PM

Guessing a dog's age?

I wasn't sure where to put this, so please feel free to move it if it's in the wrong section.

The rescue kennel told us Reg was about five...I'm just wondering where they get this figure from?

He seems like a much older dog, he has loads of energy and is very playful so it isn't that, however his teeth are much yellower than Maggie's (also guessed to be about five) his breath smells like a rat crawled down his stomach and died there his nose is very dry and rough and his face is very grey, even around his eyes.

Now, I don't mind if he is older (more like ten if you ask me) I like the idea of him having a nice retirement here...however, where does this leave me insurance wise?
I've insured him with the age given by the kennel, is there anyway they could dispute this if I came to make a claim?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:26 PM
I guess it is hard to tell as some dogs do age more quickly than others.

Have you got any paperwork from the rescue you got your dog from that shows they think his age is 5? If you had this I would have thought it would cover you with insurance if ever there was a problem.

We have just taken on an older rescue dog and have nothing to prove her age as we weren't given her pedigree. The insurance company did not ask for proof of age when we insured her, neither did they ask for proof for my other dog for whom we do have a pedigree.

Funnily enough we have the opposite issue with our rescue dog as no-one (including my husband!) believes she is 9 years old. When people speak to me about her I ask them how old they think she is and they have all replied that she is either a puppy or 2 or 3 years old!
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:30 PM
I do have some paperwork that states five, so yes, I'll keep that safe lol.
Thanks.
Maybe he's just had a rough life!
Missfit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:51 PM
The rescue guessed my dogs age at 6, I think they can guess by the teeth? Anyway a month after getting her I met her previous owners Sister who told me her date of birth & that she was 5, so they were close. The rescue said the vets normally aren't far off. Chaya will be 8 tomorrow & the closest anyone has guessed has been 5 but most assume she is a pup!
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks...will post in the health section for tips on his whiffy breath!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:09 PM
It can be extremely difficult with some dogs!

Rue was advertised on the Oldies Club website as 8 years old, but because of her frosting she looked older. Her vaccination card from the rescue reads 10, crossed out to read 12, then that crossed out to 10 again.

Now her teeth are cleaner she has been guesstimated at 8-9 by a professional dog groomer; 9-10 by one vet, and 7-8 by another!

As we were told she was an unclaimed stray, it's anyone's guess really, especially as she probably came over from Ireland (Her microchip is Irish but was not registered to anyone, so possibly done by the Irish rescue).

As she appeared on the rescue website:
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Yep, definitely looks younger in the first pic...maybe a bit of TLC makes all the difference.

Reg was a stray from a Welsh pound.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:24 PM
You go on how yellow the teeth are - which is harder if they've had a rubbish diet.

At least he has a home now though (we need to see more pictures!)

And if you give him a raw meaty bone once/twice a week, it will help clean his teeth and that should help with his breath too - but it will help with the teeth..
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:29 PM
What are the best bones to give a small dog? (around 6/7kg) No camera at the moment but will be getting a new one as we're off to Whitby for the weekend soon and I want pics of the dogs first holiday together!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I just get lamb/beef bones from the supplier but you can also get them from the butcher.. make sure they're not weight bearing bones - these are good for recreation though but some dogs just try and eat them..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >