Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
actuaaly, you have a good point there Ben.
i hadnt thought of that.

i suppose yoou are reinforcing what im saying.
cool clam collected/calm assertive energy - they dont describe a behaviour, they describe a state of mind whilst perfoming the behaviour
She is reinforcing the point you hadn't thought of?

Exactly why CAE isn't dog savvy in itself IMO.

It is only one good quality.

Be calm and assertive, be so calm when you call on a dog that is about to run the opposite way and what happens - (for many) boooorrring, dog is way more interesting.

Be calm and assertive while you leave your dog tethered all day and night long - then wonder why your CAE isnt making the dog greet you calmly? NO Hence my point earlier about 'dog savvy' being far more than CAE.

Be CA while you physically force a dog into a down that has issues with that......

CAE is one 'tool' in a box. Not 'dog savvy' IMHO
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Do you kick innocent people when you're cool, calm and collected? If you did I'd hope you'd get arrested at the very least.
You wrote the above. Looks like you are asking me if i kick dogs. This is what i took exception to.
I can see you didnt now, so my apologies.

Also, as Ben Mc saids, you can be calm and kick dogs.

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Unfortunately you've also misunderstood my posts, so we must both be idiots?!

I wasn't asking you if you kicked dogs (I actually said people), but trying to highlight that just because you can do something, doesn't make it right or mean you should (eg kicking people would, quite rightly, get you into trouble).

But my post above nor all the others have said this

Of course you can have CAE and kick a dog, but the point is if you are being CA you shouldn't NEED to kick the dog.

I agree - i have never said the opposite.

If the dogs respond so well to CMs CAE then why does he need to kick them in the first place? The answer is because he's clueless and his "methods" don't work, but hopefully we all already know that!
I agree - in fact, I have said the same about his behaviour
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
She is reinforcing the point you hadn't thought of?

No - was saying the mantra of calm assertive energy was a good for what that just represented in itself.
I hadnt thought of the fact you can be calm whilst violent, which reinforces what I have been saying on every post - calm assertive energy is just a state of mind whilst the trainer is performing a behaviour, NOT a behaviour.
I said the same thing in the post you have just referred to.

Exactly why CAE isn't dog savvy in itself IMO.

I disagree.

It is only one good quality.

I already said this. Thats why you can have dog savvyness (insert preferred adjective) and be a bully like CM. Thats why you can have dog savvyness (insert preferred adjective) and lack empathy, like CM.

Be calm and assertive, be so calm when you call on a dog that is about to run the opposite way and what happens - (for many) boooorrring, dog is way more interesting.

No - i said calm assertive energy/having dogsense/being dog savvy/etc/etc is a quality that all good trainers possess, especially those on here.
The scenario above would be related to someone whom isnt good at dog training

Be calm and assertive while you leave your dog tethered all day and night long - then wonder why your CAE isnt making the dog greet you calmly? NO Hence my point earlier about 'dog savvy' being far more than CAE.

Ditto, as above

Be CA while you physically force a dog into a down that has issues with that......

Ditto, see above

CAE is one 'tool' in a box. Not 'dog savvy' IMHO
I think they are the same.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
I think they are the same.
but what you have just posted seems to suggest otherwise

How can you say that CAE and 'dog savvy' are the same?

When you have just admitted that as BenMc said you can be CA and kick a dog....not what I would call 'dog savvy'

My point is that IMO being 'dog savvy' is about far more than just CAE, which parts of your post seem to agree with and others disagree

CAE is only one part in the grand scheme of 'dog savvy' IMO.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
but what you have just posted seems to suggest otherwise

How can you say that CAE and 'dog savvy' are the same?

When you have just admitted that as BenMc said you can be CA and kick a dog....not what I would call 'dog savvy'

My point is that IMO being 'dog savvy' is about far more than just CAE, which parts of your post seem to agree with and others disagree

CAE is only one part in the grand scheme of 'dog savvy' IMO.
Because im talking about a state of mind.
An instinct around dogs trainers have - tuned in, natural confidence, cool calm and collected, low heart rate, owner cant get the dog to do something, trainer takes the dog and dog does it straight off, or the converse, trainer tries to set up the dog to display an unwanted behaviour so they can show the owner a good way to deal with the unwanted behaviour, but the dog just wony show the unwanted behaviour with the trainer!

So on so forth.

CM inhabits many of these traits, but his training methods - his behaviour - are terrible.
Other trainers inhabit these traits with decent methods and behaviour.

Calm assertive energy is just a phrase, interchangeable with many others, one that any TV trainer could have coined.
Ian dunbar could have coined it - we wouldnt question it then.
I like the phrase myself, as i feel dog training is mainly about working within and managing energy - i think this is more relevant than Operant Conditioning.
I think it is more apt than dog savvy even.

CM may have dog savvyness/CAE/insert adjective of choice (in fact, Ian Dunbar notees he has this quality) - but he certainly doesnt have dog empathy nor kindness.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2011, 12:03 AM
For one puppy I used a kazoo, another I used one of those stupid kids toy guns that make the laser sounds for another doggie, not playing the thing for a long time, but just enough for the dog to turn & look at me.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
For one puppy I used a kazoo, another I used one of those stupid kids toy guns that make the laser sounds for another doggie, not playing the thing for a long time, but just enough for the dog to turn & look at me.
you lost me
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 12:52 AM
I know what you guys are saying about CAE

My problem with how CM uses it is that people think there is something magical and new age about it

and if your dog isnt perfect its because YOU dont have the right energy

I suffered loads of people when I first got Mia and she was a spitting hissing bundle of rage - everyone told me it was because MY energy was wrong and I wasnt the pack leader and all sorts of rubbish
when infact she could have been tied to a tree, or offlead, she wasnt aware of anything but what she was scared of
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2011, 06:27 AM
i think your energy, or stress level, or stress you may have in the rest of your life, is key.
but i dont think that has anything to do with being pack leader.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:50 AM
i dont think CM is what i would call "Dog Savvy"
a dog savvy person would at least be able to label the problem correctly, not stuff the "gladiator"/red zone label on every thing. I think hes a contol freak
Page 19 of 49 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »