Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ulsterbabe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2007, 09:03 AM

Victoria Stilwell - its me or the Dog

OMG I have found the best book if for training and dealing with behaviour problems.

I got the Victoria Stillwell Book Its me or the Dog, I have found it a godsend!!! She has a full chapter in it on dog body lanuage! Things in that chapter have been priceless to me while training my little one!!!!

I have read the book cover to cover and have found tips that I bring into my everyday training with Toran.

Excellent book!!! i just had to share!!!

JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by ulsterbabe View Post
OMG I have found the best book if for training and dealing with behaviour problems.

I got the Victoria Stillwell Book Its me or the Dog, I have found it a godsend!!! She has a full chapter in it on dog body lanuage! Things in that chapter have been priceless to me while training my little one!!!!

I have read the book cover to cover and have found tips that I bring into my everyday training with Toran.

Excellent book!!! i just had to share!!!

Really ??? Most of her stuff is rehashed from other books

I've just been sent a copy of Unlock Your Dogs Potential by Sarah Fisher. No gimmicks like air horns or dominance theories, she's a T Touch Practitioner who works with many of the rescue organisations. Explained in detail & so much gentler than the dominance based likes of VS, CM or JF
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Thats great, if you have found her ways work for you and your dog and both are happy thats all that matters.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 10:58 AM
A lot of people criticise Victoria -ok she hasn't INVENTED dog-re-training but through her tv show the general public has at least had some education regards dog behaviour and what can be done
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I have t say I think she's one of the better ones, I think she would have gained more respect if she didn't wear her Miss Whiplash outfit but I think her approach is better than whatsherface the dog whisperer, sorry can't remember her name! who has the one size fits all approach which doesn't always work!
Becky
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
A lot of people criticise Victoria -ok she hasn't INVENTED dog-re-training but through her tv show the general public has at least had some education regards dog behaviour and what can be done
What you don't see is the work done by others with the dogs on the program before she arrives & it gives the illusion that she is the one & her interactions with the dogs that"cures"them-it isn't her but other trainers from the program also her theories are based on the dominance methods.

I know someone who watched the program when she introduced the air horn, they went out & bought one, used it on their dog in completely the wrong way for it's breed, but the same way she had done on the program & then I had to undo what they had done & start over with their problem
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2007, 11:24 AM
The op posted saying that her book worked for her, she did not ask for advice about whether she is a good trainer or not yet some users think its a excuse to have a dig a trainer they dont like. So can we get back on track, if you dont like her start a thread about why instead of hijacking one where someone is happy with her.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I also think she's one of the better ones, and if there has to be a prog on TV that's the better one BUT I did find the book quite vague...

Having said that it's easy to read if you don't want to be sat reading it long term and just want a quick glance through.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 11:53 AM
I bought this book when i first got Harvey, i picked it because it was one i had heard of and not knowing what one to get i chose this one. I dont agree with some of the things she does on the programme but i must say the book helped me especially just starting out training and not knowing where to begin, i taught Harvey all of his basic commands with the help of this book and he's a pro now, so i agree that it was very helpful.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
The op posted saying that her book worked for her, she did not ask for advice about whether she is a good trainer or not yet some users think its a excuse to have a dig a trainer they dont like. So can we get back on track, if you dont like her start a thread about why instead of hijacking one where someone is happy with her.
well said if watching her programme or reading her book prevents even ONE family from giving their dog up/to a shelter due to behavioural problems which they hadnt known how to deal with, then its been worth it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >