Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2007, 01:43 PM

Toilet training

My 5 month old chihuahua cross goes on the paper fine and she will go outside if i put her out. However, she wont ASK to go out am i doing something wrong? i put her out every half hour or so but she will just go and do a wee on her paper before i can catch her to put her out. Also when i take her a walk she will wait till she gets in to go on her paper. Im getting to the end of my tether as i think she should be trained by now. Any suggestions?

Thanx
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi Emma,

The problem may be the paper i read somewhere that using paper encourages the puppy to go inside the house. you could try to do without the paper for a while i think you will have carry on taking her out every so often and giving a treat/reward and a lot of praise when she does go outside.
and with time she should come to recognaise that outside is the place to go it does take time and perserverance and you will have accidents when you take the paper away as thats her comfort zone..
I'm not a professional on the subject but with my puppy i found that the paper was the worst thing for him..
someone else may have a better suggestion for you
good luck
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2007, 02:37 PM
we did take th paper away but she used to go where the paper should have been. Ill try and perseve without the paper now then. Thank you for the advice
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi emma thats no problem hope it helps you may find some useful information on this link i've used it may times for sources of information with my puppy.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=5133
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
My 5 month old chihuahua cross goes on the paper fine and she will go outside if i put her out. However, she wont ASK to go out am i doing something wrong? i put her out every half hour or so but she will just go and do a wee on her paper before i can catch her to put her out. Also when i take her a walk she will wait till she gets in to go on her paper. Im getting to the end of my tether as i think she should be trained by now. Any suggestions?

Thanx
Hi ebrcknrdg I would guess your puppy won't ask to go out because she has yet to learn that is the correct thing to do . To teach her to do this you really need to go out with her and praise/reward her when she relieves herself outside, if you make going outside a rewarding experience she will want to go out .

Start by taking her out at times when she is most likely to want to relieve herself, that is after food/sleep/excitement/when she sniffs the ground and circles/every hour, take her to the spot you wish her to use, wait until she starts to eliminate then say the word you prefer like 'be clean' so that she associates the word with the action, than praise and reward with a tip bit . When she gets the idea reward only randomly then not at all but always praise her. After a while she will associate going outside with being rewarded and you will be able to just say the word and she will relieve herself.
Don't forget to praise her if you are out for a walk and she relives herself.

If she has an accident inside I would clean it up with white vinegar then biological washing powder and say nothing, if you punish her she may be reluctant to relieve herself in your presence, may go where you can't see her or could even eat the evidence.

The reason she waits to go until you get her back in the house may be because she was not taken out at the right time, she may also be waiting to use the newspaper , you are teaching her to go in the house on newspaper and she thinks it is the correct thing to do. I really don't like to use newspaper for a puppy that will spend its life going outside , to me this adds an extra step to houstraining and causes confusion to the puppy .

This is an article on how to house train a puppy..

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974