View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Jenny - it was not like this when I came here. But here I am and this is my home, so I take the bad with the good.

Thankfully Pereg copes with the bang bangs so I do not have to worry about her.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I wonder what people would do if it was not just fireworks but your "neighbours" firing rockets and missiles at you.

Fireworks are nothing like living in a war zone, distressing though they might be for the dogs.
That's off topic Malka. People are discussing fireworks and their effect on pet dogs.

As for where you live - you CHOSE to live there - same as I chose to live here (most of the time). You say 'you take the good with the bad' I am trying hard to think of anything 'good' you post about where you live. You've posted plenty of bad stuff about it on a regular basis.

** sorry if I sound rude but your 'dismissive comment' seems to be suggesting that people shouldn't be moaning about fireworks when there are worse things in the world - when this is a thread about FIREWORKS!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I was not off topic - the OP said it was like she was living in a war zone. I responded.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 10:08 AM
The TOPIC is FIREWORKS.

You picked up on a simile someone used - something we all do most of the time and often use an exaggerated comparison. Not everyone who says 'something is driving them mad' goes mad.

You are lucky Pereg doesn't react badly to fireworks - but don't know why you couldn't have just posted saying that. It's just 'dismissive' of someone else's opinion is all (IMHO)
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Please let's not get in a fuss here. This is an important topic-- something many of us deal with every year. The important thing is to help each other and our dogs to cope with fireworks, which are pretty much things exploding in the sky. I appreciate that this happens elsewhere for other reasons. For us, for now, for this, it's fireworks and shivering, barfing, drooling wrecks under beds. Let's please keep it on topic.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 02:56 PM
My GSD never ever got used to them. Nothing we did could console or calm her - she wasn't allowed upstairs or on furniture or beds but on firework night she just belted round the whole house like a banshee in a state of the highest anxiety. No way could she ever be left alone at those times.

My CKCS was very afraid of them until she got a lot older (I did wonder if she was going slightly deaf by then?) but she'd let you hold her close and soothe her. She insisted on it! Almost crawled up your jumper.

Bella is phased out and spooked by them (as she is by loud storms) but won't be comforted - she finds what she considers to be her safe bomb shelter (used to be under my bed but any space with a 'roof' will do - like the footwell of a desk or under the table) and stays there until it is all over.

I'd love to see them banned altogether (I never ever allowed my kids to have them and didn't care how much of a spoilsport they thought I was) but don't think that's likely to happen. However, as a lot of countries ban them from anything other than 'organised displays' now (my son's just told me that they are taking the kids to the local organised display but that sparklers are now banned). They are supposed to be banned here too but it seems the law is flouted as plenty are still let off in the streets. But then if they buy industrial firecrackers well they ain't 'fireworks' are they? But make a lot more noise without the pretty lights. They use them here to train gun dogs to get used to loud bangs too - I'm surprised all the gun dogs aren't stone deaf.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
We're using the Adaptil diffuser and Zylkene for Habibi. Honestly, I can't tell you how well it works, because her response is so severe, but if it helps calm her even a little bit, I'm happy to keep buying it. We also put music on-- I try to find something with a rhythmic beat, so she has thumps to fall back on-- Afro-Celt Sound System are my band of choice. They are pretty awesome and we listen to them a lot so it's all normal if they're on.
Do you think its too late now for me to get an adaption diffuser? Do you have to be using them for a while to get the benefits?
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Well I doubt that 'fun snaps' will ever be banned and they're one of the worst things for my dog. Even far away, even something that remotely sounds like a fun snap freaks her out. If she was off lead outside, she'd bolt and run away blindly. She's hid in a bush of nettles once because the sound of a cricket bat at a bbq, it sounds a bit like a fun snap so she thought it was the world ending.
After I went to show her it was just cricket, she relaxed. Weird.. I wonder what's made her be so afraid of them.
But yeah it's not just the big fireworks that set her off.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm 100% with you. It can be dreadful some years. I have wished for a long time that all fireworks were banned.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I was not off topic - the OP said it was like she was living in a war zone. I responded.
I wasn't being offensive, it's something I've always said, and my 2 family members who are soldiers and have been to war zones are not offended so I appologise if it did you
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >