Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 07:09 PM

Ref 'On Lead' Dogs

There has been some chat on the forum about certain breeds and whether or not they should be allowed 'offlead' excercise as a rule.

I am wondering, if these breeds are not let off lead, and they are not 'worked' regularly, how much onlead excercise do they require each day? And what, in the UK, constitutes regular work?

Thanks.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 07:15 PM
A lot of people think greyhound should be on lead only dogs (not sure if they're among the breeds you're talking about, ignore me if they're not ). 15-30mins onleash is more than enough for Jobie, and he's not bothered if he misses the odd walk. The RGT I believe recommends 2 20-30min walks a day for young dogs.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
A lot of people think greyhound should be on lead only dogs (not sure if they're among the breeds you're talking about, ignore me if they're not ). 15-30mins onleash is more than enough for Jobie, and he's not bothered if he misses the odd walk. The RGT I believe recommends 2 20-30min walks a day for young dogs.
Thanks for your response xxxx Yeah, I have heard that about Greyhounds, is it ref recall (the onlead suggestion) in general or is it ref if they see another animal, they may have a desire to chase?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Thanks for your response xxxx Yeah, I have heard that about Greyhounds, is it ref recall (the onlead suggestion) in general or is it ref if they see another animal, they may have a desire to chase?
Both really, you do get some with good recall but I know I'd never trust Jobie there was a bitch when I was volunteering who was homed, a few weeks after she followed a rabbit through a hedge and got knocked down and killed, theres just no distracting them once they start chasing
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Lennon has to be walked on lead. He gets a 15 minute walk before I go to work, and a half hour walk when I get home. I've had to reduce his food intake, as he's looking a bit porky to me. I'm considering driving out to Essex once a week to let him off in the enclosed field that Madmare has organised. However, I'm not sure the little sod would EVER come back.......
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2009, 07:42 PM
where i live,NOVA SCOTIA,there is no such thing as a dog off lead...they all must be on a leash.you are braking the law ,if not ...its not strictly enforced but you will draw attention to yourself if your dogs look like mine....i use a fenced yard and deep woods atherwise there lleashed...a tread mill keeps them in shape when i cant get out...phil
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 08:50 PM
What breeds WW? Any breed? How do YOU feel about it?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2009, 08:56 PM
powerfull dogs on a lead simply make others feel better and limite bad experiences
loveabull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Im going to play devils advocate here and say all dogs should be kept on leads unless the owner is responsible enough to have trained there dog to come back first time when called.
My Angel does not get on with other dogs so I always keep her on her lead. Walks are really stressful because people assume cause there dog is friendly it's ok for it to come running up to every dog it see's and even when I ask them to call their dog back either the dog doesn't respond to their owner or they shout "it's ok it's friendly"
It really does take all the enjoyment out of a walk I dread turning every corner incase we run into yet another dog with it's irresponsible owner.
And before anyone ask's I have tried taking Angel to training classes and socializing her and it didn,t work.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 10:12 AM
bruno gets about 30 minutes onlead during day, a walk late at night again about 20 mins but providing noone around ten he gets 10 minutes blast of madness in the park offlead ( its 1am so usually no one around)

We always take him out to the fields at the weekend and he gets a good 45 minute walk offlead so he gets a good run, but we are constantly scanning the horizon to make sure noone about.

I actually agree with loveabull though in that i think that every dog should be on a lead or put back on a lead when another dog who is not known to owner or dog comes into the mix.

its not just dogs though as the amount of times dogs are just allowed to run up to my little boy when we are out - he loves it and i assume they are ok as they are bein allowed to be free - but i always get inbetween and ask the owner before he touches them so why cant they respect our space the same and not let there dogs approach??
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »