View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Surely in any first cross litter there will be a percentage which lean toward the `type` of one parent, and others who go the other way as it were? Maybe someone who knows about genetics could enlighten us. I was under the impression that when breeding for particular characteristics there was a large number of pups `discarded`.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 01:05 PM
I think the reason the comments on people's cross breeds are seen as offensive is because it's seen as a kind of snobbery.

To a lot of people the term 'mongrel' is derogatory - not to me, I have a beautiful little mongrel and I love him very much .

So I can understand that someone coming along, maybe not that experienced with dogs, has just bought a puppy and is proud of it, may get offended when people say - that's not a breed it's a mongrel.

I agree, these crosses are mongrels, but I think sometimes the way things are written it sounds as if people are saying they are not as good as their 'pedigree' breeds.

That's not how it's intended I know, but that's how it could be interpreted.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Surely in any first cross litter there will be a percentage which lean toward the `type` of one parent, and others who go the other way as it were? Maybe someone who knows about genetics could enlighten us. I was under the impression that when breeding for particular characteristics there was a large number of pups `discarded`.
Yes, they will lean towards the temperament of one parent, but that will be balanced to some degree by the other parent. Examples I can give are the GSD X GRs we walked. One was very much a GSD in looks...but much more GR in temperament. The other was more GR in looks, but GSD in temperament. When they went to the final part of their training and are mathced, they are matched VERY carefully and specifically to a client, so the temperament of the dog at that time (round 20 months) is what the final partnership is based on. The temperaments, whilst they can lead one way or the other, tend to still be watered down, if you see what I mean. We walked a full FCR (nutter...loved him) and then a FCR XGR who had all the personality of a FCR but the steadiness of the GR....
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I think the reason the comments on people's cross breeds are seen as offensive is because it's seen as a kind of snobbery.

To a lot of people the term 'mongrel' is derogatory - not to me, I have a beautiful little mongrel and I love him very much .

So I can understand that someone coming along, maybe not that experienced with dogs, has just bought a puppy and is proud of it, may get offended when people say - that's not a breed it's a mongrel.

I agree, these crosses are mongrels, but I think sometimes the way things are written it sounds as if people are saying they are not as good as their 'pedigree' breeds.

That's not how it's intended I know, but that's how it could be interpreted.
I also never consider mongrel as being derogatory, but would tend to use it where the original breeds were unknown (or where there were more than two different breeds). For a known cross of two breeds, I'd usually use the term crossbreed.

You may well be right about the impression that the terms gives, though I agree that I don't think that is the intention. My first dog was a mongrel and I loved him dearly.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Nope. GSDs are still frequently used as are GSD crosses. As a 'resting' puppy walker but active boarder for the organisation, I can safely say there are plenty of GSD crosses and pure GSDs being used as Guide Dogs.
i stand corrected- i know one of the assistance dog charities dont accept gsds though
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
i stand corrected- i know one of the assistance dog charities dont accept gsds though
I would have thought that may be hearing dogs as they like to use smaller dogs.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:10 PM
wish i had not been so quick to comment on the other thread and cause this one to be started lol.
i think a lot of people on here are getting defensive and thinking that people with purbred dogs are insulting their cross breeds- that isnt the case i think people (including me) get so annoyed that there breed or any other is being used to produce these 'fashionable' crosses for nothing more than money after all what makes the huskamute better than a husky or mal? and what makes a labmaraner a better dog than a lab or weimaraner? the answer..nothing does i can understand that a gr x lab might be a better worker for guide dogs but they have valid reasons to do this and use them.
Dont get me wrong im not saying pedigree dogs are above cross breeds- there really are some lovely xs out there but they do not need silly names- you cant create a breed by just doing a first cross with another breed- it takes various crosses and numerous years to even start to do something like that- not that it is necessary-if you look hard enough there is breed of dog out there for every purpose and in my eyes, no need to cross.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I would have thought that may be hearing dogs as they like to use smaller dogs.
i think it was dog aid- i was enquiring to guide dogs as my mum is almost blind and her gsd has been trained by my mum to guide her and she wanted to do the proper training but they dont let you provide your own dog-so enquired at dog aid as she is classed as disabled but they wont accept gsds as they have experienced over-guarding problems. shes now in the process of starting to be asessed by support dogs anyway a bit off topic sorry!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:19 PM
just read back through my emails thats how i remember suddenly lol- memory like a siv
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
i think it was dog aid- i was enquiring to guide dogs as my mum is almost blind and her gsd has been trained by my mum to guide her and she wanted to do the proper training but they dont let you provide your own dog-so enquired at dog aid as she is classed as disabled but they wont accept gsds as they have experienced over-guarding problems. shes now in the process of starting to be asessed by support dogs anyway a bit off topic sorry!
Thats interesting, I know a man who is training his own GSD from being a pup to be his guide (with the help of his partner) they are being helped but not sure which charity is doing it...I can find out for you if you want though?
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >