Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Deliberate X Breeds

I've just opened a thread from a user asking a perfectly normal question about their new x bred puppy, knowing full well what I would see.

Well I didn't see it as the mods have been in and sorted it out but it clearly went on.

I can understand that lots of people (myself included in fact) are concerned about the amount of deliberate X breeding that is going on and all the new breeds coming out, for completely legitimate, genuine reasons, BUT can we not start attacking members for their personal choices.

Once they have their pup it's too late to take it back and they are excited about owning this dog, now is not the time to start questioning their breed choices. Especially if it is not relevant to the post.

If you feel that passionately about it then try to help to prevent it from happening in the first place and let these people enjoy their puppies.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Thought you might appreciate this:

http://barb.velvet.com/anhumor/crossbreed.html

;o)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 08:52 AM
loved the link

I completely understand what you are saying and it definitely isn't nice for a new member to receive such a welcome.

Some people do get crossbreeds with their eyes fully open - they know what is trying to be achieved from the specific cross, the plus and minuses of both breeds and the uncertainity of what traits the offspring may have. Or of course the cross may have been a complete accident (though there is really no excuse for such accidents these days).

However, many, many more are just completely taken in by breeders who are jumping on the bandwagon of creating cute names and producing cute looking pups. It is frigtening how many people are buying these pups really thinking it is a 'new, rare breed' when in fact they are just being taken to the cleaners by the breeders.

Not only that, but because people keep buying them, these unscrupulous breeders are churning out more and more of these crosses. there is no real desire to balance specific breed traits and no consideration of health issues - they are just after the cutest looking pups or the most noteable names as these seem to be what sell.

So, knowing all that, I can see why some members feel the need to comment - not so much having a go at the new member (though some come over that way and perhaps in some cases that is the intention) - but to flag for anyone else that might come across the thread that in most cases these crosses are just a means for the unscrupulous breeder to make lots of money. But of course then others jump in and before long the whole thread has degenerated.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
loved the link

I completely understand what you are saying and it definitely isn't nice for a new member to receive such a welcome.

Some people do get crossbreeds with their eyes fully open - they know what is trying to be achieved from the specific cross, the plus and minuses of both breeds and the uncertainity of what traits the offspring may have. Or of course the cross may have been a complete accident (though there is really no excuse for such accidents these days).

However, many, many more are just completely taken in by breeders who are jumping on the bandwagon of creating cute names and producing cute looking pups. It is frigtening how many people are buying these pups really thinking it is a 'new, rare breed' when in fact they are just being taken to the cleaners by the breeders.

Not only that, but because people keep buying them, these unscrupulous breeders are churning out more and more of these crosses. there is no real desire to balance specific breed traits and no consideration of health issues - they are just after the cutest looking pups or the most noteable names as these seem to be what sell.

So, knowing all that, I can see why some members feel the need to comment - not so much having a go at the new member (though some come over that way and perhaps in some cases that is the intention) - but to flag for anyone else that might come across the thread that in most cases these crosses are just a means for the unscrupulous breeder to make lots of money. But of course then others jump in and before long the whole thread has degenerated.
Yes, I agree. It's a shame that there seems to be a fashion for dogs with silly names or anything crossed with a poodle or chihuahua. What bugs me is that it's just a money making thing. Anyone can breed dogs but that doesn't make you a dog breeder.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 09:40 AM
I completely agree and this particular mix name made me laugh, BUT I just think it's a shame that someone who has already bought a pup is being made to feel bad about it and having the excitement of it taken away from them. Yes, they shouldn't have done it and yes, they are contributing to something that needs to have an end put to it, BUT they've already done it now so having a go at them wont help.
I don't think there is anything wrong at all in voicing opinions on it if asked but only when asked and only in a certain way.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Just playing devils' advocate here a little, but if no-one expressed concerns (because they weren't asked), anyone else reading the thread would think that everyone supported the ideas of these crosses....don't forget the threads are for all to read and anyone googling a particular 'designer breed' might well come across such a thread, see all the lovely comments from 'knowledgable' dog owners and think 'aw, well, it must be ok then'.

As I say though, so difficult to balance, because I do agree that it isn't nice for new members and must affect their feelings towards Dogsey.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Pidge, Hali excellent, sensible posts! Well done for speaking out what many of us only think.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Just playing devils' advocate here a little, but if no-one expressed concerns (because they weren't asked), anyone else reading the thread would think that everyone supported the ideas of these crosses....don't forget the threads are for all to read and anyone googling a particular 'designer breed' might well come across such a thread, see all the lovely comments from 'knowledgable' dog owners and think 'aw, well, it must be ok then'.

As I say though, so difficult to balance, because I do agree that it isn't nice for new members and must affect their feelings towards Dogsey.
Yeah, good point. Not sure how to get round that to be honest. Maybe we shoulod have a "code word" ;o)
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Pidge, Hali excellent, sensible posts! Well done for speaking out what many of us only think.
Thank you, hope I haven't canned of wormed it! ;o)
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 10:55 AM
i think you will find it was me who posted the absolutely terrible insult that was to say labmaraner isnt a breed- so bad it had to be removed-or mainly because it was off topic-i didnt realise it offended that much so have explained myself on the thread.

i thought i was just stating fact-it is not a breed and why people feel the need to give them stupid names i dont know but if knowone said anything then people will keep giving them names and breeders will continue to breed a cross breed.

my original message was NOT offensive it was removed because it was off topic which is fair enough
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Well put like that it doesn't sound too bad to me and IS a valid point, but yes, off topic I suppose. To be honest I have no idea what was said in that thread as I didn't read it and I am more referring to lots of other threads I've read recently and a little chat Westie and I were having (nothing wrong Westie, just part of the pot ;o).

Maybe when we hear of a new "breed" we should make a post about it in the discussion thread so we can voice our opinions, but then either answer or ignore the original thread.

Just thought and please, (disclaimer) no one feel accused in this, I am not accusing anyone specifically it is not a personal dig, just an overall view. ;o)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »