Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Sorry to butt in here but I have seen a litter of Gordon/Irish Setter crosses and they were all black...I wonder if this is what his is?
Hi Sheree I too would think it would be a cross as I don't think there are all blacks gordons - not heard of it but then I am a relatively gordon newbie!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
As an aside I have seen brown and tan rotties on the internet, but remember someone saying that they were plagued with health problems too.
they are often classed as red rotties, I have never heard of a breeder producing one, many of the ones I have seen in photos on the net have looked like crosses, I was unaware these dogs are plagued with health problems though, so food for thought again,
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm not bothered what colour a dog is, but then i would always put temperment and health above fitting a breed standard.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 05:49 PM
This thread is very interesting indeed!

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
In the days when I was involved with showing and breeding parti colour cockers, solids and reds in particular had a reputation for having bad temperaments and I found that to be the case with some dogs when coming in contact with them at shows. Also with a couple of solids who came to me to be trimmed. They may be better these days but I would never have a solid always a parti colour .
Hi Mini,

Would the above be the same for solid black Cockers? Just interested, thanks. Sorry if it has been mentioned already!
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 06:42 PM
I take your point Louise that standard colours other than the black blanket and tan/red/gold combination are rare, but that is only true for the show line dogs. That is not true for gsds as a whole. One of the most common colours for work line gsds is sable, probably as common as, or nearly as common as, the black blanket plus tan/red/gold. Solid black is also by no means rare in working lines. True bi-colours granted are somewhat rarer.

I find it sad that these colours are not viewed as being as desirable in the ring, as they are as beautiful (and standard) and it is a pity that they are not 'preferred' and this has led them to not being represented.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I have heard that in whippets there is over 400 colours or colour combinations. There are so many different variations of each colour.

The most popular in the show ring are fawns brindles and fawn/brindle parti colours. Some judges prefer one colour or another some are not bothered about colour. Blacks and blues are the favoured colours for working theres not much point in going lamping with a pale coloured dog as the rabbits would see it before the dog saw the rabbit.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Liver and Tan Gordon as promised.

Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
I have heard that in whippets there is over 400 colours or colour combinations. There are so many different variations of each colour.

The most popular in the show ring are fawns brindles and fawn/brindle parti colours. Some judges prefer one colour or another some are not bothered about colour. Blacks and blues are the favoured colours for working theres not much point in going lamping with a pale coloured dog as the rabbits would see it before the dog saw the rabbit.
Wow, I had no idea there was such a range. Makes sense about the working colours but a shame with so many colours to choose from that they are not all represented in the show ring.

Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Liver and Tan Gordon as promised.

Interesting - wasn't quite what I was expecting I thought I would really like the liver & tan, but I'm not sure - it almost looks like someone has tried to die the coat and the black is still coming through!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Found it - here's an interesting site showing both liver/tan and the tri-colour - the liver / tan is quite lovely when they are pups but agree Hali it does look like its been dyed - not at all sure about the tri-Gordon even though that's what they originally were! Also the pictures show European Gordons so very different in shape.

http://www.gambitgordons.net/Gordon%...y%20Colors.htm
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Found it - here's an interesting site showing both liver/tan and the tri-colour - the liver / tan is quite lovely when they are pups but agree Hali it does look like its been dyed - not at all sure about the tri-Gordon even though that's what they originally were! Also the pictures show European Gordons so very different in shape.

http://www.gambitgordons.net/Gordon%...y%20Colors.htm
thanks for the link, im in love with the pups at the very bottom of the page,,,,,,,,,, how cute are they!! x
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >