Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I do think the good breeders worked long and hard to resolve this issue and, apart from the BYB who don't care about anything other than the money, I think the breed is pretty much sound in temperament these days regardless of colour.
That is what I have been told by Cocker breeders I talked to about a year ago. They thought rage syndrome was no longer a live issue.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Oh what an interesting thread well the Gordons come in black and tan only but there are Liver and Tans (and they are pretty sweet looking too!) but think people now test to check for the liver gene so they aren't as common.

A white flash on chest (like the Irish) is permissable but no other white - and no black in the tan but that is something that seems to be appearing more and more too.

Temperament is always first with any dog when I went to visit Charlie's litter we were actually after a tri-colour but I feel in love with the orange belton (and have to say it is now my fave colour!) so I guess I do probably have a colour preference.
Hi Rachel - never seen a liver & tan Gordon will see if I can find a piccie. Do some Gordons come all black with absolutely no tan? I met a chap local to me who had an Irish and he told me the other one was a Gordon. I was a bit surprised as he didn't look as I would have expected him to.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 03:21 PM
We had a blue roan cocker and a golden cocker at the same time, the roan boy was a real sweetie...the golden had rage syndrome and would be happily sitting on your lap one minute, then turn towards your face snarling the next It wasn't his fault bless him, he never knew he was doing it. It transpires he was a brother to sister mating....we are talking over 20 years ago so we didn't know about puppy farmers etc at the time, we wouldn't make the same mistake again. I do think the good breeders worked long and hard to resolve this issue and, apart from the BYB who don't care about anything other than the money, I think the breed is pretty much sound in temperament these days regardless of colour.
Its good to hear that good breeders have managed to resolve the issue, its just unfortunate that it would seem that there are still disreputable breeders who haven't bothered and who are still breeding cockers with temperement issues.

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I prefer very dark brindle Boxers, with as little white on them as possible....

I am not a huge fan of red/whites; however, a lot of the Boxer people I know prefer red/white than a red/brindle.

We were lucky in that both litters there were dark brindle boys in, and we had almost first pick with Max's litter. Out of both litters, out of the other pups, the reds were the first to go, with the darker pups languishing behind.

Obviously there is a stigma (still) attached to white Boxers, which is a shame, because they are not all deaf, and are not all prone to more health problems.

If I was to get another pup, I would still go for the darkest brindle I could find, as I would (hopefully) have that choice. Were I go to for an older rescue/rehome Boxer, generally the colour wouldn't matter to me, as I'd be after temperament/personality first with an older dog (all very general here, but I'm assuming that a pup would be from a good breeder, who had health tested etc and I liked the temperaments of both parents).
Funnily enough white in certain breeds is one of the few 'colour prejudices' I can understand because of the very strong link to deafnesses.

Although I think white boxers look gorgeous and, as you say not all white boxers are deaf, I believe the ratio is sufficiently high to make it sensible to try to avoid producing whites.

And again, from what I've read, aren't white boxers most frequently produced through breeders breeding particularly for colour - i.e. trying to get the 'flashiest'?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Irish Setter Mu View Post
Hi Rachel - never seen a liver & tan Gordon will see if I can find a piccie. Do some Gordons come all black with absolutely no tan? I met a chap local to me who had an Irish and he told me the other one was a Gordon. I was a bit surprised as he didn't look as I would have expected him to.
Sorry to butt in here but I have seen a litter of Gordon/Irish Setter crosses and they were all black...I wonder if this is what his is?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Sorry to butt in here but I have seen a litter of Gordon/Irish Setter crosses and they were all black...I wonder if this is what his is?
I think i remember you asking on Dogsey about that as you weren't sure how that would work and Pod confirmed that it was possible?

(talking of whom, I haven't seen Pod on here for ages)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Although I think white boxers look gorgeous and, as you say not all white boxers are deaf, I believe the ratio is sufficiently high to make it sensible to try to avoid producing whites.

And again, from what I've read, aren't white boxers most frequently produced through breeders breeding particularly for colour - i.e. trying to get the 'flashiest'?
As far as I know yes.... certainly when breeding for showing, the current fashion is for 'flashy' boxers (which I don't particularly like)...

Last year, when I did a bit of amateur showing of Murphy, I kept being told that it was pointless showing him as he was too 'solid' in his colour (his only white is a chest patch and a couple of toes). We did get a 2nd at an open show, but the boxer that was 1st was indeed rather flashy.

Whites do often come with their own problems, however, not every white has them. I do have a soft spot for white Boxers, and the other day saw one whose only other colour was a brown eye-patch - he was gorgeous!

Neither of the boys litters had a white Boxer, or even a particularly flashy boxer in, as both parents are much of a solid colouring. Sire is red with a black mask and dam is red/brindle with a black mask.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Interesting - quite possibly! He just didn't look like a Gordon to me - he looked more like a Flat Coat Retriever from what I can remember. He was a beautiful dog.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 03:47 PM
It could be where GSD's are concerned that its because the other colours are still quite rare..

If you were to go watch Mals in the ring.. they would mostly be greys..with the odd B&W and the odd red..but overall the majority would be greys/seals
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
I have also read that the temprements of cocker spaniels can vary according to whether they are roan or parti-coloured or whether they are solids, with the solids being more prone to temprement issues with the red solid being the most problematic in this regard. I think the temprement problem was called cocker rage syndrome, but I remember talking to a cocker breeder who said that the solids temprements were a lot better than they used to be with a much reduced incidence of rage syndrome, is this true?
In the days when I was involved with showing and breeding parti colour cockers, solids and reds in particular had a reputation for having bad temperaments and I found that to be the case with some dogs when coming in contact with them at shows. Also with a couple of solids who came to me to be trimmed. They may be better these days but I would never have a solid always a parti colour .
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Irish Setter Mu View Post
I know I have one somewhere will see if can find it - its actually of David Hamiltons boy Max who was on Its me or the dog - not seen or heard of all black though - some of the working type gordons look very different (not all though!)

think there are some tri-gordons around? not 100% though!
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >