Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
There are 19 colour variations of Border Collie, and given the choice.....i would still go for a black and white

Jann
Hadn't realised there were quite that many , but I would also prefer a B&W - probably because of my first boy Glen, with whom I grew up: he was a corker - here he is, shortly before he died; he just made 19..........

IMO, he had no equal, until Snorri-dog came along........

Snorri
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
well i dont show so personally it doesnt make a difference to me what colour my dog is as to whether its desirable or not.... but when i first approached staffie rescue i wanted a liver one, but i ended up with a black and white pied and it was love at first sight, so cant say it mattered to me.

I dont think that dogs colours should be classed as undesirable personally. I think black and tan staffies are so cute yet its a fault not a good thing....
Jockmcsporran
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
been reading this thread with interest and thought without coming across as a know it all i would like to correct a few completely wrong statements made, as it can be misleading to people new on here who beleive all you read .
the majority of all rotts are born with a small white patch.mainly on the chest but on odd occasion can materialise on other parts of body.this is a throwback in the genetics from the founder bloodlines of all rottweilers and to this day still can be found.in any litter of rotts you will have a few with small white patches on chest but nearly always grows out.
i have had romanmoor rottweilers for 20 odd years and to see a poster comment that she heard that long coats were in their lines was a complete shock to me as i have stayed at romanmoor kennels and bred from their stock.have saw over 200 of their dogs and pups and yet to see a long coat in any of them.would be intersted to know where you got such bad advice.
hope this doesnt come across as long winded but it had to be said
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jockmcsporran View Post
been reading this thread with interest and thought without coming across as a know it all i would like to correct a few completely wrong statements made, as it can be misleading to people new on here who beleive all you read .
the majority of all rotts are born with a small white patch.mainly on the chest but on odd occasion can materialise on other parts of body.this is a throwback in the genetics from the founder bloodlines of all rottweilers and to this day still can be found.in any litter of rotts you will have a few with small white patches on chest but nearly always grows out.
i have had romanmoor rottweilers for 20 odd years and to see a poster comment that she heard that long coats were in their lines was a complete shock to me as i have stayed at romanmoor kennels and bred from their stock.have saw over 200 of their dogs and pups and yet to see a long coat in any of them.would be intersted to know where you got such bad advice.
Hi Jock, take a guess where that came from?????

the breeder of the only dog I owned with a romanmoor sire

it is nice to see a rottie owner breeder however who will state that white on pups is very common.

but as I also stated in a post................ many breeders fib......about whats what...

though I would agree royce was a bit more coated than for example my javladare dogs,
just as his son vinnie has a similar coat to his father, that said royce or vinnie are not long coated.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
ps it does look a tad bitchy, you could have just quoted me or said shona said...

I will be looking into the genetics of long coats now though, but it does please me that you dont feel it came from my blood line it did worrie me a tad
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Well it was more the markings rather than the colour with Fudge but i have to say that her markings add to her personality.I had the choice of nearly all white pups, some with dark patches and some with light. The half-split face just won me over.....
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
have pm'd you the ped of the long coat and a link to some photos of him,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Well it was more the markings rather than the colour with Fudge but i have to say that her markings add to her personality.I had the choice of nearly all white pups, some with dark patches and some with light. The half-split face just won me over.....
you would always know fudge in a crowd thats for sure she has fab markings
Jockmcsporran
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-01-2009, 04:01 PM
hi shona,this is a very important thread so dont want to fill it with chat chat or the important posts will be lost.
any breeder who points the finger after a litter has been born onto another line shows themselves up for what they are.we all know when breeding we look into both parents lineage and to the best of our ability try and breed in the good points and breed out the bad points. too many people now dont bother researching lines and just hand pick whatever dog doing all the winning.
what would worry me more just skipping through some threads is how freely names and affixes are thrown about in posting and im not a regular reader or poster but yes does look bad
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 04:03 PM
hi shona,this is a very important thread so dont want to fill it with chat chat or the important posts will be lost.
any breeder who points the finger after a litter has been born onto another line shows themselves up for what they are.we all know when breeding we look into both parents lineage and to the best of our ability try and breed in the good points and breed out the bad points. too many people now dont bother researching lines and just hand pick whatever dog doing all the winning.
what would worry me more just skipping through some threads is how freely names and affixes are thrown about in posting and im not a regular reader or poster but yes does look bad
and what I really am would be?

I see your point, yes maybe it was a bit nieve to throw a kennel name in, this is I guess the down side of listening to top breeders. The whole problem in rotties is, who do you go to for the correct information.

I hope you can help shed some light on this for me, like I said, I have pm'd you and would love your thoughts on this

The rottie world could do with less defensiveness when it comes to breeding, much of my experiance when talking to breeders is they are very competitive, they often are not as open as they could be when it comes to faults in there lines, to my mind no one to date has produced perfect dogs, wouldnt it be grand if they did,

there are however a few who I have no reason to doubt to date, but they are the few.

but I have noticed a diff coat in that line from others, but as said, never long.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »