View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 10:43 AM

95% of working type terriers cannot be offlead??

I was really surprised to read this on one of the rescue threads on here. A Patterdale terrier is up for rehoming and the quote on his thread is 'may never come off an extender like 95% of working terrier types'.

I just wonder if this is giving the right message about terriers to anyone looking for one. I meet lots of terriers on walks that are offlead and don't have problems with recall or high prey drive and of course I own a terrier who is fantastic offlead.

I know there are many misconceptions over our breeds. I met a family last night who had a Goldie and a Wheaten terrier and they stopped me to ask what Lily was. When I told them she has Jack Russell parents, the woman immediately said, 'does she bark alot?' I replied that she doesn't actually bark much at all. She was really surprised to hear that and then said she would take Lily home!

I do find it hard to accept that most working type terriers cannot ever be allowed offlead. This is certainly not a criticism at the wonderful work of the Rescue group, I'm just very surprised at the comment that was made.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Maybe its more like patterdales and lakelands who have a high drive, and its just to warn people what they can be like, as many would need a extra safe terrier place to be let off, and only with experienced owners too. And I mean extra safe lol, we use to have a jack russel who worked out how to get out of the garden which had a six foot fence, she worked out how to climb onto the shed, jumped onto the garages behind, and then would come for a little wander round to the front of the house and wait by the front door, I also know a Parson russel terrier Molly who worked out how to escape out of her outdoor kennel, and when down the school if she was anywhere near the mesh fencing would launch herself up it and climb over the fences

So it may be just to warn people what they can be like, its better to be over prepared then under
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:02 AM
You know, I wonder what people did with terriers before extending leads were invented. Is it a case of not needing to train because you can use a flexilead?
While I understand that some behaviours are difficult, and keeping a dog on lead may well be the only way to manage it, it seems a bit of an admission of defeat if applied to the majority of terriers.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Midge, Tonic & Kay are working patterdales, and they never go on a lead. Did have a few issues when we first got Midge, with him running away, but that was more him pushing boundries to see what he could get away with! He even walks to heel now

Charlie was a lakeland x fell (with some border apparently) and he was never on a lead.

We have the lot of them around sheep, pheasants, rabbits & lots of rabbit holes, and I've not lost a dog yet! Charlie was probably the most likely to disappear, but as long as I called him every so often, he didn't stray too far.

Tilly (Patterdale) on the other hand, couldn't go anywhere off a lead, unless it was 100% escape proof. I don't think it was a breed thing, as I know someone that had her litter sister, and she was fine, I think it was just more her being pig headed and not wanting to listen, plus her prey drive got the better of her. She was game for anything, which is why I invested in a harness and lunge line for her!

All our terriers are worked on rats, and I do take them beating. The only time I will most defenatly have them on a lead, is when I am walking in the woods with them, as I know that a few of our woods have fox holes, not sure if they are lived in or not, but I am not willing to risk having the dogs go down and never be seen again!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I never realised that terriers have problems offlead in the past until I started looking into some terrier breeds (i really want one!!) It's rubbish... the same as Akitas who should NEVER be let offlead apparently, pah, get lost, my Zeke spends all his walks offlead and is perfect, interacts and listens perfectly. He doesn't like to 'come' for the sake of it, unless he really has to, but will 'stay' instantly and not move a single paw!
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:57 AM
alfie is fine offlead along the river or farm lane BUT in the woods or open farm land a big NO if he gets on the scent or sight of a hare or rat NOTHING will break his focus, i could stick the most suculant steak on the end of his nose and it would not make any difference. so onlead in these areas.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 12:32 PM
It's interesting to hear other people's opinions on this. I know of a Jack Russell who is never allowed off lead as the owners are worried he won't come back. He's only a young dog and I'm not unconvinced that he wouldn't come back. He certainly comes running when they call him but despite this, he is never allowed offlead.

I found it a little strange that a rescue would make such a sweeping statement. Of course it is better to be cautious, but some people would be put off by that. We have all heard generalisations about breeds and sometimes it's only when you speak to an owner, that you hear the truth behind the myths.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 12:54 PM
I have to say that a lot of the Patterdales, Jack Russell's and even Border Terriers around here tend to be kept on the lead either a lot or permanently.

As you say they though, reading generalizations in books, on the internet, etc., can't help puppy buyers. I wonder how many people who have these terriers are completely resigned to the fact that they should never be let off lead, therefore don't bother teaching them the recall.

I regularly see this man with a young-ish Border Terrier who is always on a lead. The dog seems so desperate play. I just bit the bullet and asked him one day if he ever lets the dog off and he said no, he never has, because he doesn't come back. If he has never let him off, how would be know? he didn't really have a reason besides from "well, he is a terrier", which is a shame for the dog.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:03 PM
My vet made exactly the same comment when I got Tilly. When she went for her jabs he said she'll probably never be able to be of a lead as she would be off down the nearest rabbit hole! So this is the same terrier that does competition obedience, has bronze silver and gold good citizen awards and has just been accepted as a PAT dog! All dogs have the potential to be bad off lead but If you work at it from day one, there is no reason why most dogs wont be absolutley fine. There will always be some who's prey, scent etc drive is to strong to let them off and for those, a lead is the only option but my terrier for one is a dream!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Zani is a JRT, i couldnt tell you if she was from working lines or not, she is a rescue - although my bet, is she is from a pet breeder.

When we first got her she was a night mare off lead and it took some months of recall being down on a long line in various places until i took the step of letting her off, with heart in my mouth. But she is fine and 4years on is still fine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >