View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with Brundog. Time to be honest with yourself and decide if you are willing to put the time in, or able to.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:17 AM
How long did the last owners have her for?
If she slept in a kennel and liked being under their bed, sounds like she likes and feels safe in enclosed spaces...like under your table, so a crate could work.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Really sorry to hear this, my heart sank when i saw the picture of her last night and heard her history as it was a sure bet that she was going to find the changes difficult.

But, like you say, you realise that now.

Personally i do not believe that you should go to a breed specific trainner, dogs are dogs, and some trainers believe that you should treat different breeds of dog differently, i don't. Of course you take into account breed traits, but it is much better if the dog is seen as an individual and treated as such.

I think you need to get in touch with www.apbc.org.uk and get a behaviourist out to visit your family and Bailey in your home and have a full assessment and personal advice and guidance.

I didn't want to burst your bubble last night, but feel i have to say it now. Please be very very careful when your partners child visits the last owners have obviously not told you the whole truth about this dogs, she may be a lovely gentle soul but she is very stressed, nervous, scared and confused at the moment and this is not a good combination of emotions in a dog to have around children.

Please do not let the children swamp her, i feel it would be better for the child to completely ignore and let the dog approach her if she wants to. Better safe than sorry.

I don't think there will be a quick fix answer with Bailey, but a behaviourist from the APBC will be able to advise you. Like others have said, this will take time, dedication and money to resolve and, for Bailey's sake, you need to decide now if you can give this or not before she begins to bond with you. .
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Really sorry to hear this, my heart sank when i saw the picture of her last night and heard her history as it was a sure bet that she was going to find the changes difficult.

But, like you say, you realise that now.

Personally i do not believe that you should go to a breed specific trainner, dogs are dogs, and some trainers believe that you should treat different breeds of dog differently, i don't. Of course you take into account breed traits, but it is much better if the dog is seen as an individual and treated as such.
I think you need to get in touch with www.apbc.org.uk and get a behaviourist out to visit your family and Bailey in your home and have a full assessment and personal advice and guidance.

I didn't want to burst your bubble last night, but feel i have to say it now. Please be very very careful when your partners child visits the last owners have obviously not told you the whole truth about this dogs, she may be a lovely gentle soul but she is very stressed, nervous, scared and confused at the moment and this is not a good combination of emotions in a dog to have around children.

Please do not let the children swamp her, i feel it would be better for the child to completely ignore and let the dog approach her if she wants to. Better safe than sorry.

I don't think there will be a quick fix answer with Bailey, but a behaviourist from the APBC will be able to advise you. Like others have said, this will take time, dedication and money to resolve and, for Bailey's sake, you need to decide now if you can give this or not before she begins to bond with you. .
sorry just ahd to say I totally disagree with the paragraph I've highlighted. Sorry. A breed specific person will treat the dog as an individual but will be much more aware of breed traits and so be in a better position to deal with the dog.
Rushbottom
New Member!
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Have tried to ring your mobile but cannot get thro' - my friend (Scorpio) asked me to contact you - will keep trying.
Nic
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
sorry just ahd to say I totally disagree with the paragraph I've highlighted. Sorry. A breed specific person will treat the dog as an individual but will be much more aware of breed traits and so be in a better position to deal with the dog.
Unfortunately i have seen too many dogs having been "treated" by breed specific trainers who consider their breed of dogs needs to be treated differently to others, and unfortunately all the ones i have experienced have not used modern or positive methods. Rottie and shepherd specific trainers who feel that rattle cans etc must be used on these dogs.

Well trained and educated behaviourists treat all dogs with thier expert knowledge of behaviour, the reasons behind it, the motivations from the dog etc.

But i don't feel this thread is the place to discuss this. This person needs help and advice now.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Unfortunately i have seen too many dogs having been "treated" by breed specific trainers who consider their breed of dogs needs to be treated differently to others, and unfortunately all the ones i have experienced have not used modern or positive methods. Rottie and shepherd specific trainers who feel that rattle cans etc must be used on these dogs.

Well trained and educated behaviourists treat all dogs with thier expert knowledge of behaviour, the reasons behind it, the motivations from the dog etc.

But i don't feel this thread is the place to discuss this. This person needs help and advice now.
Exactly and one of the best places for her to seek advice is from a breed specific rescue organisation...imo...who have knowledge of the breed and how they tend to deal with being in situations like the one Bailey has found herself in and what it is best to do to help her ad Lara and her OH>
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:42 AM
laura my girl is like this in the house if I'm not there, not as destructive unless she gets shut in & most of my doors are propped open permanently. A covered crate solved my problems. Its the answer if I have to leave her, though most of the time I take her with me in a cage in the car I have it set up so I can leave the tailgate open & have a battery operated fan for when the engine is off. Do you live somewhere where you can get a cage fairly quickly.
While I think she will settle with you fairly quickly while you are in, I think leaving her is something different & unless you find a crate works I'm not sure what to suggest. Good luck.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:52 AM
any news yet?
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Catrinsparkles makes a VERY good point. I am sure you have already thought of it but personally at this point i would not bring OH's child round. The dog will find it more stressful and potentially cause more serious problems and besides if Bailey seems distressed it may well upset OH's child.

Let us know how you are getting on.
Page 8 of 18 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »