View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Oh no! We don't blame Bailey for a second and would have kept her but due to the time and attention she needs, we decided, after very long and careful consideration with Gill (the rescue lady) that Bailey would be better homed elsewhere but having the training she needs before rehoming.

Bailey was a wonderful rescue and we'd certainly rescue again but when we had more time to dedicate.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lara_C View Post
Hali - have been in contact with our local rescue (Bailey's rescue isn't "local" its about 50 miles away - our local rescue is about 10 miles away but is a "general" rescue) but they said that they couldn't use our help because we can only help at weekends and they said they have loads of people helping at the weekends!
What a shame. It may be worth checking that there is definitely just the one in your area.

Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
The other place you could try is the Cinamon trust, they link up people who would like to walk dogs with Elderly or disabled people who have trouble walking dogs. That might be a rewarding thing to do.
What a wonderful idea ... I shall look that up over the weekend. Need to remove all of Bailey's stuff from the house first (my OH can't be in the same room with it at the moment)
That does sound another good idea, fingers crossed you can find some way to be around dogs while helping out others at the same time.

((Hugs)) to you and your OH. But, think of it this way - it doesn't sound like Baileys' previous home was particularly nice - whilst you may not have been able to keep her, you have hopefully been the means of helping her towards a much better life.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
But, think of it this way - it doesn't sound like Baileys' previous home was particularly nice - whilst you may not have been able to keep her, you have hopefully been the means of helping her towards a much better life.
Hi Sarah,

I am sad to hear that you are feeling guilty. I actually think you did the best thing for Bailey, as she does sound like she needed a different owner than what you can give and notice I did not say better just different.

Hali s quote above I completely agree with.

I have to say Sarah, from the first time you posted i thought you sounded very sensible, and a really good approach to reseraching a dog etc, you did make a mistake with Bailey, but I actually think its more to do that you were clearly lied to about Baileys past and previous life, and i think its very unfortunate that people are so keen to get rid of their pets without actually telling the truth, so that they get the best home for them.

Anyway, i hope this doesnt put you off another rescue, because it really is worthwhile, I think the dog walking especially for the cinammon trust is a wonderful idea and will also stand you in good stead to get a rescue in the future and to be able to judge a dogs personality too.

Good luck and please stay on Dogsey, dont blame yourself for Bailey as I truly think she is now in the best place to work out what she needs to make her permanent home exactly what she needs from it and i just dont think that was you and thats no reflection on you - just that your lifestyle didnt suit her.

dani
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 09:08 PM
maybe was fate that you came along to rescue her and find her a new home and get her away from the idiots who lie as liars are just pure scum! espically about aminals health and wealthfare

never say never as everyone else says this was the wrong dog for you in your situation.

hope bailey gets a nice new happy home at last soon
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2008, 09:59 PM
You did the best for Bailey, and thats all any of us can hope to do for our animals.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Well done for putting Bailey first I hope she gets the help she needs & then finds her forever home.
Hope you find some way of working with animals till you are more suited to taking one on permanently again.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you Sarah, and that you and your OH have been so devastated by the experience.

However, whichever way you look at it, you did rescue her from those previous owners and, hopefully, she will soon find a loving forever home to see out her twilight years.

All the best in finding somewhere to put that love and energy to good use.

Sheree xxx
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks.

Its cost us the best part of £500 (not including treats and toys) to have her for 5 days.

I told the previous owners, surprisingly, they didn't respond.

No wonder rescues ask for money!!!

We're not "off the market" but my OH has been seriously hurt by all this ... he really bonded with Bailey and it shows - he's devastated.

As for me, I believe we've done the right thing and have pushed my tears away but, like my OH, feel very misled and completely desolate that she's gone.

Its like a little piece of us has gone.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks.

Its cost us the best part of £500 (not including treats and toys) to have her for 5 days.

I told the previous owners, surprisingly, they didn't respond.

No wonder rescues ask for money!!!

We're not "off the market" but my OH has been seriously hurt by all this ... he really bonded with Bailey and it shows - he's devastated.

As for me, I believe we've done the right thing and have pushed my tears away but, like my OH, feel very misled and completely desolate that she's gone.

Its like a little piece of us has gone.

It must be devastating. I'm glad to hear you are not completely off the dog market, given time maybe you will find a pooch for you and your situation. Personally, if i was not very experienced with dogs, i would steer clear of private rehoming, at least with rescue centres or buying a puppy you should be dealing with more proffesional people, as long as you go to a responsible breeder of course. It is terrible that people can sell their pets under false pretences.

Like i said before, it sounds like you did more for her in the short time you had her, than anyone else has done in her life. xx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Lara,

Poor Bailey, sounds like she's had a rough life, poor girl.

For what it's worth, I think you've made the right decision and you have given a lot to Bailey already in the short time she was with you. It sounds as though she is having the care she so desperately needs in order for her to become adjusted to a happy, settled life. I hope she finds a good, forever home out of this.

Perhaps in the future there will be the right dog for you and your circumstances.

Take care and feel proud in the fact that you've done a lot to help Bailey.
Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 >