View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-03-2005, 09:20 PM

Debarking your dog by surgery - inhumane?

never mind docking or ear cropping how cruel is this
Debarking Your Dog
NEW CONTROVERSY OVER DEBARKING

Recently, the New Jersey state senate has unanimously taken the stance that debarking surgery for the dog is inhumane. This proposal is now in the senate for vote, and if it goes through, debarking of dogs will be illegal in the state of New Jersey. Penalties for owners or veterinarians caught performing this procedure will include fines as well as prison time.

This proposal is controversial with the owners of dogs known to have barking behavioral problems, as well as with veterinarians who perform this procedure.

Technically, the procedure removes the folds of tissue in the larynx responsible for sound production. Most dogs following the procedure retain some audible sound, but it is muted much like a whisper. The amount of tissue removed from these cases is less involved than that of a tonsilectomy. Most dogs recover uneventfully; some require medication to reduce post operative swelling, and some develop scar tissue enough to allow the bark to return.

Vet4Petz would like to know how you feel about this issue. Please use Questions for the Vet to let us know your opinion.

This procedure involves the removal of 2 folds of tissue located on either side of the larynx or voice box in the dog. The so called vocal folds actually function to come together in order for the dog to make an audible sound with pitch.

When removed, the sound made by the dog is much like that of a whisper or a bark heard from far away when the dog is right next to you. The effect of debarking can be explained much like an individual trying to whistle while the lips are apart. In order for sound to occur, air must travel through a narrow opening in either the voice box for a bark, or the lips for a whistle to occur.

Most cases of owners requesting their dogs to be debarked are in locations where disturbing the neighborhood becomes a problem. In some cases, household disruption occurs as some dogs refuse to pay attention to owners wishes for them to cease the barking.

Other alternatives to surgery are available. These include electronic devices worn about the dog's neck which emit an electric shock (much like that of a static shock) when barking occurs. Remote collars are activated by the owner. Self activated collars do not depend upon the owner's presence, and are activated ideally by the dog's bark. However, in some cases, these self activating collars can discharge for reasons other than barking, which can confuse and serve to de-spirit the dog.

Other collars can be worn which emit scents such as citronella when the dog barks. These collars are preferred over the electric devices, in that the startle response is achieved in a less harmful process.

Sometimes, if the barking is only a problem when the owner is present, using external devices to startle will work. A favorite device used for purposes of startle, is simply a can of coins that is shook sharply toward the dog when the undesirable barking occurs. This serves to divert the dog's attention toward the can of coins, and away from the barking stimulus.

Choose wisely and smartly for your dog if barking is a problem. Remember, if you live alone, or are away from the house for periods of time, a barking dog can thwart a potential robber from breaking and entering your home. If complaints are occurring from your neighbors however, common courtesy should direct you to take appropriate action to ensure peace and quiet in the neighborhood.

Docking Your Dog's Tail
CBT
Dogsey Senior

12-03-2005, 09:34 PM
i remember someone having this done in the Uk years ago, it would have been about 1980's and the dog was a small mongrel, the couple had her debarked because she barked constantly and they were getting threatened with eviction, they were friends of my parents and I always felt so sorry for the poor little dog she made a sort of muffled yap, the operation didnt totally destroy her ability to bark and it certainly didnt get rid of her desire to bark either, thankfully vets wouldnt even consider surgery like this nowadays and there are much kinder ways to stop dogs from barking!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2005, 09:40 PM

I think this is just too horrible

our Cavalier used to bark madly whenever one of us got home, or when we were going for a walk. He would get so excited and there was just no way of shutting him up!!

We searched for solutions to this problem and tried loads of things, and at some point someone suggested having him debarked....:smt019

If you're going to have a dog in the first place, you might as well be prepared for a bit of barking!!

Also, my mum sometimes does this annoying BLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLA thing but I wouldn't consider having her de-voiced!! :smt044
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Never heard of this procedure before. All I gotta say is: for crying out aloud!!!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Now I'm probably gonna get shot for this but what if the dog has not been trained properly as a youngster and has had every other method tryed on it to solve a barking problem then is it something that as a last resort ,when the only other option was being PTS,should be allowed.
Example....someone with no experience buys puppy,puppy developes bad behaviour and is rehomed at ,lets say 18 months.The dog then maybe goes through another couple of homes and then ends up in a rehoming centre due to its barking.The centre try behaviourists etc etc and nothing helps.What next...staying in the centre,PTS or debarking?
I know its an extreme example but I think maybe it should only be allowed in extreme cases where nothing else worked.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Crazy . My worry is that dogs bark for a reason, as an alert, to show fear, uncertainty etc. If the dog isn't able to show it's emotions through barking then it will find another, probably even less pleasant, way of showing how it feels.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2005, 09:56 PM
ps. Archer the crazy wasn't directed at you we were posting at the same time.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Thas OK Olive.I don't agree with it either but some dogs bark out of habit due to lack of training as youngsters.
I would think debarking better than some options as a last resort
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-03-2005, 10:27 PM
archer put like that as a last option i could handle
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2005, 10:41 PM
i just dont know maybe in archers scenario it could be a possibilty but where would you draw the line? how would a vet know it was a lst resort and not some fair weather dog owner who couldnt be bothered to train or care for appropriately
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >