Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-05-2016, 01:32 PM

Panorama - Britain's Puppy Dealers Exposed

Anyone watch it? Catch up on iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ealers-exposed

Panorama investigates the ruthless world of the dog trade. Using secret filming, reporter Sam Poling tracks the
supply chain of the country's favourite pet.
News item: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36302556
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Well yet again that left me in tears knowing that 30 years on nothing has changed. So so sad.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2016, 10:14 AM
A shocking follow up to last year's programme - especially for us, as this is the exact history which I have been able to trace for my own rescued boy. My OH refused to watch the programme. Poor, poor bitches, and little wonder that there are so many hang ups to resolve with these puppies.
I hope George Eustice MP is able to devise an Act with real teeth. All we can do in the meantime is keep signing the petitions, and write to our MP's asking them to support tighter regulation of puppy farms, and illegal imports. We must try to keep this information in front of the public mentality, it cannot continue to be swept underground.
PS. I forecast that pedigree cats will be next to hit the headlines. I have discovered a glossy, pink website which belongs to the same family, purporting to be caring breeders. Very persuasive.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Seen it all before, same old story of people wanting a dog 'now' and not being prepared to wait, do their homework properly or take a rescue puppy.

I thought not enough emphasis was given to reading up on a breed including the health tests required for a particular breed and asking to see test certificates.

I thought the idea of puppy sellers drafting in a show bitch and 'pretending' it was the dam so that dam and litter could be seen together was a bit odd. Are the puppy buying public so naive they can't distinguish between a nursing bitch and one brought in for the occasion.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Seen it all before, same old story of people wanting a dog 'now' and not being prepared to wait, do their homework properly or take a rescue puppy.

I thought not enough emphasis was given to reading up on a breed including the health tests required for a particular breed and asking to see test certificates.

I thought the idea of puppy sellers drafting in a show bitch and 'pretending' it was the dam so that dam and litter could be seen together was a bit odd. Are the puppy buying public so naive they can't distinguish between a nursing bitch and one brought in for the occasion.
I guess they must be Meg, or its a bitch from a PF that has so many litter she is droopy......... so so sad, it makes you so mad, but sadly I cant ever seeing it change, people just don`t care where they pup comes from as long as they get it now, look at the actress with the dachshund it never even entered her head where her pup came from, she just went to dogs 4 us and got pup.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Breaks my heart and I can't watch it, like has been already said, nothings changed. There has been so much publicity about what can go on, yet still people buy from these places, and still the places get licensed by the Local Authorities
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-05-2016, 06:56 PM
One thing that did pop into my head today whilst out with the girls......when someone's enquiring after a puppy, the first question is 'How Much'... MY first question if I'm buying a puppy is about the health tests of the parents.I've had people get really upset and annoyed when I won't let a puppy go early so 'he can be there for the kids on Christmas Day' - not a chance in this world So despite all whats been said, all the stuff in the newspapers about illegal importation of puppies, the TV programmes about sick puppies, the publicity about genetic problems, no one seems to give a hoot really when they want a puppy, it all goes out of the window
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Are the puppy buying public so naive they can't distinguish between a nursing bitch and one brought in for the occasion.
Short answer - YES

As said above, this is not new but the great unwashed general public never learn Azz I'll pass on that link if you don't mind, it will only upset me and there's nothing I can do. I do sign any petitions and stuff and hope it will have some effect but deep down I'm not sure it will.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Nothing will alter and dogs will continue to suffer horrible conditions and treatment as long as the penalties attached to cruelty and mistreatment remain so ludicrous.
Licensing must be strictly controlled - not just a cursory say so or back hander from the local council. Breeding establisments should be restricted in the number of bitches kept and litters produced. Inspections should be regularly caried out - with no advance warning and places that fail to comply with rigid hygene and welfare standards should be closed forthwith.
Unscrupulous and cruel dealers in canine misery should receive a very lengthy prison sentence. By this I mean 5 years minimum for a first offence and no early release.
Only an updating of the laws pertaining to dogs and their welfare and breeding and a very strict adherence to them - with appropriate sentences, will be the only way forward.
Meg
Supervisor

20-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Nothing will alter and dogs will continue to suffer horrible conditions and treatment as long as the penalties attached to cruelty and mistreatment remain so ludicrous.
Licensing must be strictly controlled - not just a cursory say so or back hander from the local council. Breeding establisments should be restricted in the number of bitches kept and litters produced. Inspections should be regularly caried out - with no advance warning and places that fail to comply with rigid hygene and welfare standards should be closed forthwith.
Unscrupulous and cruel dealers in canine misery should receive a very lengthy prison sentence. By this I mean 5 years minimum for a first offence and no early release.
Only an updating of the laws pertaining to dogs and their welfare and breeding and a very strict adherence to them - with appropriate sentences, will be the only way forward.
I think that is so Gordon and we need someone with the will to do something about it but sadly to many people dogs are still of 'minor importance'
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >