Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I will try to dig out the link but i think it was something to do with the preservatives that go into kibble....

When I was researching what to feed Dexter, I read up about this - there are a number of 'nasty' things that appear in many kibbles.

I emailed various dog food companies to check if these chemicals were included, and they were in several which is why I rejected those particular brands.

The other problem with kibble is that it is extruded - i.e. cooked at an extremely high temperature. This effectively kills a lot of the nutrients etc.

My own feeling is that a good quality wet food is the best option if one doesn't want to feed raw or home cooked.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:50 PM
I will try to dig out the link but i think it was something to do with the preservatives that go into kibble. I don't think it is a solid fact though, and there is so much we don't know about cancer anyway...

You can read what preservatives are allowed in dog food on the PFMA website, again a lot of old wives tales and scaremongering goes on by the anti kibble food fascists.

I had always heard that too, until reading about raw. I'm not sure what the rationale is, but kibble and raw shouldn't be fed within the same meal as they digest at different rates, so i'm not sure if it is to do with that or something else...

Another old wives tale, thousands of people successfully feed their dogs a mixture of raw and commercial every day; just as thousands of people mix wet and dry!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
When I was researching what to feed Dexter, I read up about this - there are a number of 'nasty' things that appear in many kibbles.

I emailed various dog food companies to check if these chemicals were included, and they were in several which is why I rejected those particular brands.

The other problem with kibble is that it is extruded - i.e. cooked at an extremely high temperature. This effectively kills a lot of the nutrients etc.

My own feeling is that a good quality wet food is the best option if one doesn't want to feed raw or home cooked.
I read quite a few scary things when i was researching raw too...

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Another old wives tale, thousands of people successfully feed their dogs a mixture of raw and commercial every day; just as thousands of people mix wet and dry!
I know, i did when Jake first started raw i didn't say that was the reason, it was just an idea.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Oops, 'kibble' was meant to say 'raw' Tass said the vet was for raw, and against kibble... and i was trying to say that most vets i hear about are the other way, and are for kibble and against raw.

I assumed that was the way you meant it, as it made most sense that way
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
[/B]

I assumed that was the way you meant it, as it made most sense that way
i didn't even realise until it was quoted ...
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Interesting thread, nice to see the 'other' side of the discussion.
I haven't in the end, other than the occasional chicken wings/meat. The main reason I haven't is because we don't have space for a spare freezer. We only have a small freezer anyway for us and no space in there. This means I can't save money on bulk and it would add up to be expensive. Not just the money though and space, but the worry of not getting it right. I've started threads on here about giving it a go and got some great advice, but I'm just too nervous. If I had the space and money, it would be tempting, but I'd still be too worried. I also think the contamination issue is valid, when we have children, I'd be worried about them accidentally coming into contact if I miss a spot cleaning or something.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Listeria, one of the potential perils of undercooked meat

Listeria-meningitis-Father-46-left-paralysed-eating-undercooked-pork-chops
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I have fed all methods over the 30 years i have kept dogs, firstly Kibble Febo I dont think its made any more. I then had a dog that had chronic liver disease and he had to have a protein content of less than 8% so I home cooked for 5 years, initialy he was given 12-18mths to live. I then fed kibble for a short period and then raw for 15years, stopped in 2007 due to a dog with severe adverse reactions to meat proteins - he reacted quicker to raw than cooked. When I lost him in Dec 2009 I continued with the kibble, when my imports arrived once their food ran out I could not find a food in the UK with 70% meat content that their German food was so now I have found a kibble they will eat and add either some wet meat, cooked meat or raw tripe to it they rarely eat other types of raw when given.
I have come across many people on other forums that constantly promote raw and yet when you ask them for an example menu they are not giving a balanced diet.
The only dog I have had with any form of cancer was a spleenic tumor and he was fed raw.
I feed what suits the dog and I know the kibble I use is not one that is advertised and is manufactured in the UK where there are stricter guidance on what can go into the production of the food.
Re additives there are human foods and drinks in the UK that have these in that are banned in other European countries.
Re so called detoxification I have never had anything like the symptoms mentioned when swapping my dogs from one food to another.
Again re amount of feaces I find that they defecate more if they have had rmb, with their current diet my male goes once a day and my females x2 daily.
Re coat and condition again no difference to when I had raw fed dogs.
Re Health if you discount genetic conditions no difference in health or stamina
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 11:08 PM
one point I didnt mention is what I find supprising the amount of raw fed dogs not treated for internal parasites when these are the ones most at risk - just because people do not see the presence of them doesnt mean they are not there. My neighbour was shocked when he put a sample of his dogs feaces under the microscope. He hadnt wormed them for several years.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:46 AM
There's a long article in July's edition of "Dogs Today" magazine that is against raw feeding and the reasons why.
Page 8 of 56 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »