Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Most people don't----that is how the breeders of the crosses survive. By saying that because it isa cross it is therefore healthy.

It is such a generally held opinion that it is frightening. It doesn't matter how often you try and explain it it sticks.

Its very like having a 1 in 4 chance of a child having a genetic condition and thinking that because you have one child with it the next three will be OK----I have known several people get caught by that one.

rune
This is so true-even among people whom you would think should know better! For example there was a lady at our obedience classes who had previously bred Irish Wolfhounds but had stopped because of the hip problems in the breed. She had then decided to buy a "Labradoodle". When I asked her if the parents were hip-scored she didn't know yet both the parent breeds should be hip-scored due to possibility of hip dysplasia in both breeds.

"Magical" thinking!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I have to say I meet heaps of dog owners out and about. Aside from the Labradoodles,which have been around for ages, I don't see/hear of people looking for crosses because they are more healthy, indeed, out of the 5 puppies we have locally at the moment, there is not one cross, we have 2 Cockers, a Lab, a Wolfhound and a Boxer. Our of about 20 dogs we see regularly on walks...one is a cross that was bought because it was a cross..he is a Labradoodle and a lovely big hairy carpet he is too.

In my experience...and I do meet heaps of dogs..here I am only referring to the regulars, who I would see at least once a week,I have seen absolutely no increase in designer crossbreeds..people are stillbuying pedigree dogs, but sadly don't always research breeders as well as they should.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Why has no one commented on the RR womans interview or Ronnie Irvines (sp)?

They condemned themselves.

rune
If you say so.

I've only just come back to this thread, so now I can answer you.

Rr woman, out of order no doubt, her attitude has no defence, but she doesn't represent the views of everyone within the breed.

Irvine guy, will get back to you on that one, just as soon as I've relistened to his interview.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
If you say so.

I've only just come back to this thread, so now I can answer you.

Rr woman, out of order no doubt, her attitude has no defence, but she doesn't represent the views of everyone within the breed.

Irvine guy, will get back to you on that one, just as soon as I've relistened to his interview.
IMO the RR woman has no right to be in the dog owning world, despicable
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Scum would suit her attitude, and if she's well regarded within the breed then there are serious issues. Nobody can defend that attitude at all, then to try and cover up her callasness with absolute bullcrap about "hands of dog fighting people" and muntjack eating her roses, very snoozey, very low, and just indulged the negative view of certain aspects of the pedigree world!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Crikey---have you SEEN the prices asked for crossbreeds???

It is often more than a KC pedigreed dog.

rune
I have to say I agree with this. You only have to look on a certain dog website that promotes litters for sale to see this.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
IMO the RR woman has no right to be in the dog owning world, despicable
Totally agree---she IS a part of it though. I am more than happy to agree that she is the unacceptable face of showing/breeding------but I take issue with those who say that face doesn't exist.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I have to say I agree with this. You only have to look on a certain dog website that promotes litters for sale to see this.
I go on sometimes in the evenings and have a quick look----it is mad! So many!

rune
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
If they dont want puppies from show parents thats their choice, its not like decent show folk are having problems selling puppies. we have passed over many enquires since Fizzis litter and still have people enquiring, even with no puppies availble - I know the same can be said for other such breeders to.
It is their choice...but surely - rather than saying they don;t matter (because they will only go else where) It might make more sense to try and promote healthy breeding and try and present a 'better' image of showing.
The KC seem to understand this - hence the publicised health checking etc.

Attitudes like 'they don't matter' simply creates more of a split, which I find quite sad.

I have had 4 puppy sessions today - in 2 of the sessions (SBT and French Bulldog) I asked the people if they had any plans to show the pup (It is something I will often ask - not just about showing, but if there is something specific the people want to do with the pup, we try and start with that in mind as well)
Both people really looked quite disgusted at the idea - I find that quite sad, but it is an attitude I often find with people who are coming to classes.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
It is their choice...but surely - rather than saying they don;t matter (because they will only go else where) It might make more sense to try and promote healthy breeding and try and present a 'better' image of showing.
The KC seem to understand this - hence the publicised health checking etc.

Attitudes like 'they don't matter' simply creates more of a split, which I find quite sad.

I have had 4 puppy sessions today - in 2 of the sessions (SBT and French Bulldog) I asked the people if they had any plans to show the pup (It is something I will often ask - not just about showing, but if there is something specific the people want to do with the pup, we try and start with that in mind as well)
Both people really looked quite disgusted at the idea - I find that quite sad, but it is an attitude I often find with people who are coming to classes.
The thing is Tassle I have given up caring what people think of us that show. If they dont want to accept there is good to be done, no matter what I or others shall say will make them change their minds.
If people dont want to show, or dont want to support a show breeder then I wont force them. If people want to go to hobby breeders that breed to supply a pet market thats their choice, something I dont agree with but hey thats the thing we dont all agree with the same things.

I dont believe I said 'they dont matter' I said 'not by them that matter'. Which of course is the people entering and attending shows.
Page 93 of 103 « First < 43 83 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 > Last »