Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Prefers Simpsons to James Wellbeloved

I swapped to Simpsons Premium after reading a thread on here (which I can't find now). My dog's a v fussy eater & didn't like JW at all & much prefers Simpsons. Coat glossier too since she's been on it. Sample flavour packs work out expensive, but I risked buying a 15kg bag & they sent me sample bags of all the other flavours with it. It's a bit cheaper than JW too
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2011, 06:47 PM
We've got a simpsons premium fan here to Harris our viz, he's curled up on the sofa next to me. Just got our second bag of chicken and potato today, it smells nicer than some of the other dog food we've had, Harris is looking really well.

Very good service too, next day delivery and even lets you know the hour when it'll be delivered.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2011, 12:56 PM
We started Storm on Simpsons too recently and the service was excellent and so is the food!!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I am thinking of changing to this food, i thought it looked excellent quality, i would put her on the sensitive which is grain free. I would be interested to hear how your dogs get on with it

One of my dogs has a very sensitive tummy with bouts of colitis i have her on a wheat gluten free food at the moment but she is still itching alot, so it crossed my mind she may be grain intolerant.

I think this food is very reasonable priced to comapred to some i've looked at
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I am thinking of changing to this food, i thought it looked excellent quality, i would put her on the sensitive which is grain free. I would be interested to hear how your dogs get on with it

One of my dogs has a very sensitive tummy with bouts of colitis i have her on a wheat gluten free food at the moment but she is still itching alot, so it crossed my mind she may be grain intolerant.
I think this food is very reasonable priced to comapred to some i've looked at
Our vizsla is the same he had pravo when very young and has had colitis. Wheat gives him spotty scabby skin. He's now on the Simpsons sensitive chicken and is looking really well and has kept weight on.
caroldylan
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Ihave been using simpsons salmon and potato for a while now and my lab is allergic to almost everything, was nervous but thought i would give it ago and never looked back, i took him off acana as he couldnt tolerate the protein as i have said give it a go and you wont look back
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Since starting this thread, I found something on another dog forum which said that some kibble is spray coated with rancid fat (usually old fish & chip shop fat) to make it more palatable and this is a leading cause of cancer in dogs. As Simpsons is coated I contacted them, and below is their reply. I suppose this means it's OK & I'd like to keep Katie on Simpsons as the ingredients sound really good & their service is excellent, but am still slightly concerned, as, presumably, "rancid fats" wouldn't have chemicals added anyway. Am I being over-cautious? - I'd be pleased to hear what others think/know about kibble coating

This is Simpsons' reply:-

"There are articles on the internet regarding these
topics but these are usually referring to foods that have had the fats chemically treated/preserved either during the process of making the kibble or beforehand. Rest assured none of the fats or ingredients used in Simpsons
products have chemicals added to them they are naturally preserved using mixed tocopherols even before they get to the factory, and this is usually why naturally preserved foods only have a shelf life of 12 months instead of longer
(chemicals keep the foods preserved much longer than this)".
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I think it's probably the cheaper foods which have these rancid fats added.

As companies like Simpsons, Arden Grange etc produce more expensive, high quality kibbles/foods, then I would tend to believe that such companies do not add rancid oils to their kibble and being that we feed our Storm Simpsons too, I am quite happy with the response you got from them.
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for that reassurance, I'll carry on using it (must try to stop worrying so much about her & not to be so neurotic!)
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by rita1 View Post
Thanks for that reassurance, I'll carry on using it (must try to stop worrying so much about her & not to be so neurotic!)
I don't think it's a bad thing to worry about your dog and what you feed her, I am exactly the same. But I think as long as you feed the best food you can afford, then you haven't much to worry about.