Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Ok,,, If I were you I would use the clicker and target stick,,you can start by just getting her to sniff the stick,,eg if she mouths just ignore and when she stops mouthing even if its just as she is about to give up,,the min her mouth comes off, click and treat,, once you get this sniffing sorted,,begin to move the stick when she takes a step towards it click and treat,,after a few times give the command to follow,,,or target or whatever,,, once she gets to that stage,,,you dont need to have the clicker really just give the command and she should do it, but remember to treat her regularly,,,I think people get a bit fixated on the clicker,,but once the dog knows the command you dont really need it, The clicker is a method of getting there,,,so once there you dont need it, if she becomes a bit funny with it just go back to using the clicker,, but you shouldnt need to,,then move onto moving her with the target stick,,,again when she gets it right click and treat, but drop the click as soon as she has the idea,,,hth,,,
Ok that I can defintely do!

I am one of these people that is fixated on the clicker. I started training Isla's retrieve with the clicker over 6 months ago and even now when we do retrieve training I take the clicker! I guess I'm just worried that if I don't take it, she'll stop retrieving, which I know isn't true!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
we can all be a bit prone to fixating on the clicker, but its just a training aid,,,so once the dog knows what it is doing and knows the vocal command or the hand signal or whatever you really dont need the clicker, If a dog is really clicker savy,, you shouldnt need the click for too long, Kaos only really needs it untill he has done most things once or twice when I put commands to it, but its a god send for breaking down the things I want to train him, eg for beg if I want the front feet lower than normal I would just wait untill he begins to drop the front paws a bit, this normaly happens if I withold the click, when they get to where I want them I would click,,often when this happens his front feet shoot back up,,so I would withold the treat untill the feet come back down a bit, they soon get the idea,, let me know how it goes, xx
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3