Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Kidney transplants

Does anyone have any particular personal experiences regarding kidney transplants from non living donors? If so, what are they?

How long did the kidneys last?

Do you know someone who received a kidney transplant when in their late twenties and went on to live a full life or is currently living a full life at the moment?

Many thanks in advance. Thoughts and experiences greatly appreciated.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Does anyone have any particular personal experiences regarding kidney transplants from non living donors? If so, what are they?

How long did the kidneys last?

Do you know someone who received a kidney transplant when in their late twenties and went on to live a full life or is currently living a full life at the moment?

Many thanks in advance. Thoughts and experiences greatly appreciated.
Have a look at this site

I know someone who was waiting for a kidney transplant, but have lost touch, I know her parents were looking at live donor transplant, sadly I don't know what happened to her
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Have a look at this site

I know someone who was waiting for a kidney transplant, but have lost touch, I know her parents were looking at live donor transplant, sadly I don't know what happened to her
Thanks for that link, I'll have a look now.

The person I'm talking about had the transplant because of a kidney that didn't develop properly. I have no idea whether that make it any better/worse than if it was because of kidney disease.

I hope the person you know got their transplant in the end.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post

My sisters friend received a kidney transplant in his teens and is now 30, he lives a perfectly normal life now, the donor was his dad though.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
My sisters friend received a kidney transplant in his teens and is now 30, he lives a perfectly normal life now, the donor was his dad though.
Okay, thank you for telling me that. Much appreciated. Please to hear he lives a normal life now.

Do you mind me asking whether it was a live donation or not?
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes it was. I know that they tend to last twice as long than organs from deceased donors.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
Yes it was. I know that they tend to last twice as long than organs from deceased donors.
Thank you. Yes, live is definitely preferred.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm a staff nurse and worked as a kidney transplant nurse for 9 years at the Royal Liverpool Hospital.
I've seen many transplants both live-related and non living donors.
There are very successful ones and some not so successful. It depends on the match between recipient and donor and also why the recipient had kidney failure in the first place. Some diseases can recurr in the transplanted kidney.
Also the younger you are the better your immune system therefore the more chances of rejection...BUT....rejection is a normal part of having a transplant and usually occurs within the first weeks and can be treated with high dose steroids so don't panic!!
Most are successful and people go on to live a happy healthy life but sometimes they don't go according to plan.
My advice is if it's a live related transplant, make sure it's a good match. Ask them if it's good and they will tell you.
On average they last for 10 years. Some are more, some are less.
They have better anti rejection drugs now so things are better.
Let's put it this way...if I needed a kidney transplant I would go for it wholeheartedly. It's an excellent treatment for kidney failure and I wouldn't hesitate.
If you want more information then send me a private message and I'll be as much help as I can.
Good luck xxxx