Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 10:18 PM

ID cards

What is everyones opinion on new ID cards do you think it is good or bad?
I havent decided yet, upside it should help in theory with crime if they have everyones finger prints on file.If as they say it will be able to do something about benefit fraud then yipee(I wont hold my breath)
downside just who will be able to access all you details
Mary
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 10:22 PM
its just one step closer into living in big brother really isnt it. and at the end of the day they are saying it will be law to carry them and help fight crime but if people are into big crime then they are not going to be bothered about not having or carrying their id card are they! and there will be a trade in selling them
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 10:38 PM
I think it's a good idea.
If you've got nothing to hide, then you shouldn't have a problem carrying a card about with you.

I don't know if they are still going on about having to pay for it yourself - but I think it's not fair, cos it will probably be expensive!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 11:08 PM
I honestly dont see the point everything else is able to be copied and counterfeited so I dont see what difference these will make
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 11:08 PM
i dont watch the news... whats goin on?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 11:16 PM
agree with LEL on this one ...the fraudsters will just fake them and as for benefit fraud well that will not make any difference the gov already know who everyone is anyway !!!!!!..it's tracking where they are thats he problem....and i can't see a card keeping people in the right places....
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 11:20 PM
I dont really like the idea of them ,too much big brother ,after this what will they want us to do next ??? get identity chips like we can get for our dogs?
Anyway how will they stop benefit fraud or terrorists what difference will a card make?
And the cost of it and no doubt computer errors etc that will certainly happen

Nope I dont like the sound of them at all
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2004, 12:41 AM
I used to think they would not be a bad idea ( cos I am never norty )
Now I think it is a totaly useless idea and a big waste of money(ours ) I have heard talk of £80 each It will as the others say be so easy to copy them and any person who is a real threat to the security of the country won't be wandering the streets or going places where you need to produce an ID..Anway I shall always be losing mine..I lose everthing else
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2004, 01:46 AM
i think having ppl finger prints on file is a good idea as it would cut down on a lot of police work. but i dont see the point in cards.

and £80 each does that me i have to pay for 4 as i have 3 kids.
that is a lot of money
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2004, 06:56 AM
I'm in favour and think in the long run it will make life easier for us all, as more and more security checks are required by banks and such like a readily available proof of identity would be an asset. Also understand that it is likely the card cost will be added to the passport and no detail of cost is yet available but it seems likely that if you wish to travel in the future the details needed for the card will also be required for new and replacement passports so the cost will be there anyway for anyone who wishes to use a port or airport. It will only be those of us who do not have and do not want or need a passport who will in the end have to pay for a card, people who will be required to have one when leaving or entering a country and will be the main need for such detail along with providing proof at banks and when wishing to take out a lone, rent a valuable item such as a car or house, claiming anything you have a right to or take a job involving high security, medicine or children and one would hope the elderly and perhaps animals. One assumes they will also be used to allow hospitals and such to be able to get details of your health and blood group and drug tolerance, I personally hope that will include my wish to donate and not to be resuscitated but that will no doubt cause another out cry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >