Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alsatianpup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2005, 02:20 PM

Running with Dogs

Was wondering if anyone does this with thier dogs ?

I run usually about 5 times a week and with the early nights coming in I'm finding it hard to fit in my run and also a good walk for Meesha. So yesterday I took Meesha with me on my run and it all went well she seemed to enjoy it and it made my run less boring. My main concern was her feet but I checked them when I finished the run and they were fine. At the moment because she is only coming up for 7 months I'll only be taking her on runs every other day was wondering if this will be bad for her as she isn't getting off the lead . I take her to the park in the morning for a run about off the lead for about half an hour but not sure if this is enough off the lead freedom for her
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Well I have two fully grown gsd's who have a 40min. bike ride most mornings, except if it's chucking it down, we only go up on my village green with the ball then!

I used to take Cassie out with me when I rode my horse and obviously I used to go quite a long way, and quite fast sometimes, but she always managed an 1 1/2 hrs. ride, so I can't see a problem with your youngster going out with you on your runs. How far do you go then? Maybe it might be a bit much for a 7 month old dog, I don't really know, but a friend of mine who used to ride out with me sometimes, would bring her 6 month old gordon setter out with us, so I don't think there's a problem. I'm sure you don't run as far as we used to ride?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi If you run on soft ground I don't see a problem with paws but on hard ground If your worried about paws, you can get little dog boots! normally made from neoprene etc, lots of people use them for their dogs paws for similar activities.

Be careful the amount of time you take a 7 month old out for, you don't want to over do it...Remember it is recommended you take a pup out for 5 mins for every month of it's life...so 7 months would be 35 mins...Not sure if continuous running is ok for that length of time at that age?? Maybe you would want to halve that amount of time for running to be on the safe side
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Until your dog is fully be careful not to overdo it.
Ally is almost two now and fully grown and my bf takes her running (to get them both in shape ).

Its great and they both enjoy it very much
Alsatianpup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2005, 02:57 PM
I ran about 4 miles and it took me 45 mins. I think becasue she is still only young i'll only do this once a week. The problem is I have been sticking to one half hour walk a day ususally in the morning and when we first come in she is fine all tired out and all peaceful but then come the evening she is bursting with energy just running in a circle in the middle of the living room which is funny but I took this as a sign she isn't getting out enough but I don't want to over walk her while she is still growing so for the moment I think i'll keep it down to one run a week. was just curios if anyone else did it as when I was out running I was getting some very funny looks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 07:17 PM
I suppose you know too not to let her jump anything when she's out at that tender age, it causes havoc with their growing joints. I was told by a breeder once, no stairs, no jumping anything until 18 months old.

I think 4 miles every day is too much, but that's just what I think. Running will build up muscles, but in such a young dog I really don't know as I've never done it, can it be detrimental to their growing phase? Somebody will know! All my g.s.d. pups have had steady walks from a young age that I build up as they get older. Obviously they were allowed to run around as they pleased, but running alongside you the dog is made to run, after all, she wouldn't want to be left behind on her own would she, so whatever, she will keep going even if she's knackered! It's brilliant for a fully grown dog, but as I say, I've never done it with any of my pups at 7 months old, I only did steady walks with them exploring. Hope somebody knows who can help you.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Try getting some paw wax to put on before going, it helps toughen up the pads, our dogs wear it when they're racing inside.
Hazel & co.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Sounds wonderful!
Do you want to borrow a Red Setter?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 08:06 PM
The walk your dog is getting in the mornings is fine but the reason she has alot of energy at night is because you can take her out more than once a day for the same amount of time...maybe just a little bit more time would be fine each walk...

Running non stop for 45mins and 4 miles will be quite alot...You will want to really break that down for her...Just taking her once a week doesn't make the length of time better really I don't think...The best thing for dogs of this age is little and often, not alot but not very often if you know what I mean...

Maybe you could shorten your jog until she is a bit older and done growing?...Or at least if you do take her for that long right now, make sure she gets alot of stops where you can then see if she has had enough and check on her and give her water. You must really take it easy because even if your dog appears fine with it and it doesn't have any bad affect right now it may well do later on.

rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2005, 08:21 PM
I'd love to run with Bob two things stop we 1-unfit to run 2-he might think it would fun ti try and trip me up
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >