View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Flight kennel- anybody flown a dog abroad before?

Does anybody know what a "flight kennel" can be? I know it has to be certain regulation size for the particular dog & have a lockable door, be covered in signs saying "live animal" "this way up" and have suitable bedding, ventilation & water for the dog............. but what do they look like & are they like a crate with holes or a plastic dog carrier? can't seem to find any info other than the regulations & wonder if you have to have one specially made or can just buy one?
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:32 PM
found this online http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/sky...es-8725-0.html
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:33 PM
There are ones suitable for flying Vari kennels is one of them
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
found this online http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/sky...es-8725-0.html

Thanks - blimey doggie solutions are based just up the road from me!! never knew they existed

Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
There are ones suitable for flying Vari kennels is one of them
Thanks
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:31 PM
happy to help so where are you off to? lol sorry being nosey
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I flew Moon back from Vietnam. I used a VariKennel, another brand I think it Sky Kennel. Check with the specific airlines as they all have thier own regulations. KLM have very stringent rules, look on their website, it gives all the guidence on measuring etc. Most airlines say the min need the dog can lie down fully, turn around and stand up with a few inches clearence. I have a large Vari kennel which is too small for Cain so probably won't get used, if you wanted to buy a second hand one. they are good as they have ventilation on all four sides ensuring adequate air even if the crate gets push up against other boxes. Airlines mostly provide their own specific labels to our on the crate too. I think we had to tape a bag of food on the roof in case of delays.

Where are you flying too? Is it just short haul? I must day flying Moon was without a doubt the most stressful thing I've done in my life but I'm sure it was because it was being handled by Hanoi airport who packed my dog through the cargo bay and repeatedly swung him on and off the conveyer belt until I yelled at them to stop He threw up and I had to take him out of the crate, in a busy cargo bay with fork lifts scooting everywhere, to clean it up before he could fly! Although once checked in and in the darkened cargo bay I'm sure he settled down and slept. I nearly threw up with stress that day and cried with relief when I found out he'd finally landed. I'm sure a short haul flight within Europe would be much better, KLM seem very on the ball with it.

Anyway, want to know anything please ask
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
happy to help so where are you off to? lol sorry being nosey
Spain

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I flew Moon back from Vietnam. I used a VariKennel, another brand I think it Sky Kennel. Check with the specific airlines as they all have thier own regulations. KLM have very stringent rules, look on their website, it gives all the guidence on measuring etc. Most airlines say the min need the dog can lie down fully, turn around and stand up with a few inches clearence. I have a large Vari kennel which is too small for Cain so probably won't get used, if you wanted to buy a second hand one. they are good as they have ventilation on all four sides ensuring adequate air even if the crate gets push up against other boxes. Airlines mostly provide their own specific labels to our on the crate too. I think we had to tape a bag of food on the roof in case of delays.

Where are you flying too? Is it just short haul? I must day flying Moon was without a doubt the most stressful thing I've done in my life but I'm sure it was because it was being handled by Hanoi airport who packed my dog through the cargo bay and repeatedly swung him on and off the conveyer belt until I yelled at them to stop He threw up and I had to take him out of the crate, in a busy cargo bay with fork lifts scooting everywhere, to clean it up before he could fly! Although once checked in and in the darkened cargo bay I'm sure he settled down and slept. I nearly threw up with stress that day and cried with relief when I found out he'd finally landed. I'm sure a short haul flight within Europe would be much better, KLM seem very on the ball with it.

Anyway, want to know anything please ask
Thanks for the info - it's not imminent just yet, for me anyway, got another 12 months to wait until youngest finishes school, but the way things are panning out, hub may well go in advance & gets things going, whilst I sort out things this end. So I have a list as long as my arm about silly things like the house, removals etc... but the one thing playing on my mind is of course the dog!!
I've already found out that they can go as "excess baggage" at around £4 per kilo with Monarch as long as you are on the flight - sounds awful doesn't it (visions of Tilly been chucked down that thing were the suitcases go) I have found out that they go in a special ventilated area with soft lighting & temperature controlled by the pilot & you can collect them as soon as you get off the plane. The actual flight time from here is 2 hours 20 minutes, but then they have to be loaded/unloaded etc, just like us which adds on more time & I know I would be a complete nervous wreck with worry.
I wonder if it would be worth driving there which we have done before & it took 2 days going full pelt with one overnight stop in Orleans in France - coming back we took it a bit easier & did it over 3 days. So much quicker to fly though!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I've never flown a dog myself before, but a relative of ours has flown her ESS a few times and the crate she has got is massive!

Funnily enough, they are away just now so I can't even ask her what make the crate is.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I've never flown a dog myself before, but a relative of ours has flown her ESS a few times and the crate she has got is massive!

Funnily enough, they are away just now so I can't even ask her what make the crate is.

Well Tilly's would have to be fairly big even though she's a medium sized dog, they are very strict about the regulations of how much room they have like Moon's mum said. I did notice on the doggie solutions site that they do wheels for them to go on - that's a relief!!

I would happily get in the crate & fly in the hold with her if they would let me!!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I flew with a pup a few years ago but only from the UK to Ireland. I used Aer Arran and they were excellent. I was allowed to use my own crate which was just a normal crate. The only restrictions were that he could stand up and turn around comfortably.

I was really happy with the airline and they let me stay with my pup until last minute before they took him from me. I only had to go through check in just in time to board.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >