Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2004, 09:00 AM

Another litter

My hubby and I are thinking of breeding Tam & Jas again but want to have some thoughts and advice. As most are aware we had a litter back in February of only 2 pups (accidental mating) and were going to keep one pup from that litter, unfortunately the timing was not very good. We didn't breed her last season (April) but are now in a position to have a pup and would very much like to have one of Tam & Jas pups. She is due in season around end August begining of September. If we do decide to breed from them Tam will definately be spayed after this litter I don't normally agree with spaying but I think it would probably be better all round if she was.

Tam is 6 years old and Jas is coming up 7, I think. Is this too old for either of them and are the health risk going to increase? Both dogs have had a thorough check-up with the vets, both not KC registered as far as we know so can not have proper tests done, and their eye sight is good, no problems with their joints and even with Tam having a sensative stomach the vet cannot see a problem in us having a planned breeding from them.

What do you guys think?
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-07-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm going to stick my head above the parapet, sure to get shot, but. My feeling is that there are lots of staffords that are properly health tested, as your cannot be, I don't think it's a good idea at all. I would only ever advise buying a puppy from tested parents. By the way, you can have the dogs eye tested, and get a certificate, but the results cannot be recorded. Hips are a different matter. I say buy a puppy instead. A KC reg one, from health tested parents, I'm KC through and through.
Robert
Dogsey Senior

15-07-2004, 10:12 AM
I agree with Nursey, if you really want another puppy, it would be better to get one who's parents are both registerd and health checked.

On the point of testing, whats the reasoning behind not recording the results from non-registered dogs?

I can guess at the KC's reasons, but surely they could be recorded as from non-registerd dogs, to give a clearer picture of things.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Hi Staffy,

I will add my own thoughts to this. First, I believe that to be a dog breeder the reasons should be correct. I believe a breeder should be looking to better the dogs and produce a line which keeps on improving from what they originally had. I don’t think a good idea is because you wish a pup from your two dogs. There are plenty of dogs in rescues (particularly Stafford’s) that would make great pets. I have always believed that a bitch shouldn’t be bred after the age of 6 years although I am sure it does go on and many people do it. What you have to ask yourself is do you think by breeding your two you will make a difference to the breed as a whole, will you be producing a quality litter that has lots to offer? If not then I would think seriously about breeding the two dogs. Also you may end up with a large litter of 9 or 10 (as opposed to the two you had before) and how would you cope if you could not find homes for them all or some were returned to you? Another thing I am wary of is breeding dogs with no pedigree behind them, that is not to say it is the bee all and end all but a pedigree (I am not talking about KC registered – mine are not but they are Irish Reg) is important to provide a general idea of the pups background and from that you can trace back ancestors and any possible health problems they may have had.

Spaying is a good idea for bitches that aren’t being bred, there are so many health risks such as Pyometra etc that can occur its always wise to have a bitch spayed if she is not being used as a brood bitch.

Whatever you decide I hope that it works out for you though.

Laura
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2004, 10:28 AM
My head is alongside Nursey's. I am not an expert on Staffs, but see so very many dogs in pounds & pups advertised in Aust., UK, USA., most of which are not registered or health tested. Surely, if you love the breed, you do not wish to put puppies on the ground who may suffer from genetic health problems. These may not be apparent in the sire or dam, who may well be healthy, good natured & good looking, but serious faults/health problems may well be lurking in the background of dogs whose lines are not known. I can well understand the wish to breed from loved pets, but the responsible course of action is to purchase pups from registered breeders whose aim is to improve the breed using registered dogs which are proven to be from sound lines in respect of health, temperament, and conformation.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2004, 10:39 AM
I have nothing against KC registered dogs but I know a lot of people who have been sold KC registered animals and it has now turned out that on one of these pedigree papers the supposed sire of the litter was killed 6 months before the litter was born and on couple of the others the dam had not been registered as having a litter at that time. How do you know that you are getting what you have paid for? That is my main concern at the moment about getting a KC registered pup so many people forge the pedigrees.

I do understand that I could end up with a bigger litter and would have to find homes for them and then the possibility of having to have one or more pup returned to me due to change of circumstances.

This is going to be such a tough decision and a good long chat with hubby is definately in order before anything is set is stone.

Thanx guys
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2004, 10:42 AM
I know I'm not in a position to comment (having just asked if I should my 7 year old bitch). But my head is firmly with Nursey and Shadowboxer, there are so many homeless Staffys out there. You have to think of exactly why you want to breed.
Robert
Dogsey Senior

15-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by staffy
I have nothing against KC registered dogs but I know a lot of people who have been sold KC registered animals and it has now turned out that on one of these pedigree papers the supposed sire of the litter was killed 6 months before the litter was born and on couple of the others the dam had not been registered as having a litter at that time. How do you know that you are getting what you have paid for? That is my main concern at the moment about getting a KC registered pup so many people forge the pedigree
And the KC make it easy to do, by not having a system in place to prevent forgery. At the end of the day the KC's first concern is making money, secondly they care for dogs, IMO
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Robert

I agree 100% you only have to see the way certain breeds have declined to understand how much of a toss the KC give about their welfare and yes your correct about the way their priorities are based. Glad somebody is on the same wavelength as me here

Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Mmmm, I was lucky and got 2 fabulous dogs but most people are not so lucky with their rescue

I will have to come up with some ideas about persuading him to let me have a registered pup as he won't be able to see the justification on spending a couple of hundred on a pup especially as we have no intention of showing.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »