View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
snazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Mine wear collars when out. Why? Because it is a legal requirement to have a dog where a collar and ID tag (up to £5000 fine if you don't), whether or not you choose to walk your dog on or off lead.

At home the dogs don't wear collars, I have a friend whose dog knocked over a chair and got the collar caught on the chair leg and hung himself - this was a bull terrier.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by snazy
Mine wear collars when out. Why? Because it is a legal requirement to have a dog where a collar and ID tag (up to £5000 fine if you don't), whether or not you choose to walk your dog on or off lead.
Damn I knew there was something else, minor detail but yes a legal requirement.

Could somebody please tell me is it not a legal requirement to walk a dog on lead? I was almost certain that somewhere it mentions dogs having to be on lead in public...?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 11:44 AM
laura from memory i think its only by the road?? not sure tho but i wudnt dream of walkin my dog without a collar and with a lead on hand incase something happens
snazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Think the lead depends on local by-laws, eg in my local parks it says on a big sign dogs must be kept on a lead.

Sometimes it says dogs must be undercontrol, easiest way to comply is to keep the dog on a lead, depends on the level of training and trust you have in your dog.
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Posted by Snazy : Mine wear collars when out. Why? Because it is a legal requirement to have a dog where a collar and ID tag (up to £5000 fine if you don't), whether or not you choose to walk your dog on or off lead.

This was the first thought that came into my head when i read that jess takes her dogs out without collars on.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 12:12 PM
i have never had a problem with the law. and as i said if you have CONTROL over your dog, with or without a collar, then is there a difference? again, if i ever had a problem, i would think twice, and i always have adequate leadage with me, incase dogs fail!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by jess
i have never had a problem with the law. and as i said if you have CONTROL over your dog, with or without a collar, then is there a difference? again, if i ever had a problem, i would think twice, and i always have adequate leadage with me, incase dogs fail!
hi

- I think the point to make though - what if the problem you had caused your dog to be lost / stolen or hurt - then you perhaps would feel more guilty for not having had them on a collar or lead. Again - yes its your choice but I know from my point of view even if bruno was great with other dogs and trained to perfection I would still ensure he had a collar with tags on - more for my peace of mind as much as anything else -

example - what if your dog got seperated from you - now I know you say this wouldnt happen - but what if ?? and someone found him/her - with no identity they would perhaps take it to local shelter - ok - if they scan for microchip great and you would be reunited but sometimes it may take days - if it is taken to the police station for eample - they wait for dog warden to collect - it then goes to sheleter - then gets scanned - what about the added stress to your dog being away from you in those situations for such a long period of time. I know that my boy would be very upset - he doesnt ewven like when I go into a shop without him - so would be very upsetting for him to be taken by someone he doesn t know and locked in a cage !!

My boy always has a harness with tags on whilst out - in the house he doesnt wear anything - if I stick a collar on him he always tries to get it off and I cant walk him on a collar only as he chokes himself on it and it sounds like I am walking a pot bellied pig !!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2005, 01:16 PM
My lot don't wear collors indoors but I wouldn't dream of them not wearing them out side.

As dani says, "what if?"
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 01:19 PM
i also have a harness for prinz, he doesnt get on with a collar.

some good points, i wouldnt like my dogs to end up n a shelter either. jaz has got lost a few times, when he dissapears into the woods. he always gets home before me. i will think twice about it now!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 01:33 PM
HI Jess

well Jaz sounds quite clever as I dont think Bruno coudl find his way home - he would be too distracted by all the gardens he could get into on the way there !!!! LOL
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >