View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I woudl love to be able to walk my dogs off lead in areas where this is an option, however even if Bruno was an angel I would still have him on a lead in areas where there are other dogs ( unless I already knew that he was ok with said dogs, and they with him and their opwners were happy too)
Do you think this is cos Bruno is a staffy and you're worried about the backlash certain people would give you if you had him off lead or would it not matter about the breed of dog you owned? This is a genuine question not having a dig (tried to word as best as poss!!), just it seems that a lot of the people who say they don't let their dogs off lead round other dogs own staffs or similar.
You wouldnt run up to a complete stranger in the street and start talking to them or getting in their face - so why should your dog ???
Because they're dogs and not people, they're bound to behave differently. Thankfully Woody isn't the type of dog that gets in other dogs' faces, he seems very good at reading other dogs body language and if he sees the dog isn't going to play he comes back to me (Sulkily I might add! )

I can see your point, it must be very frustrating to own a dog that doesn't get a long with others. My last dog was very nervous as she got older, and it used to bug me when other dogs came over and she was clearly terrified but the owners would just stand there somehow finding it amusing??? In the end I used get hold of their dog and let mine go, if the owners didn't like it tough! (Obviously I know you couldn't do this with Bruno!)
Also I think the difference is when I go out it's usually in the village etc and I know everyone and their dogs or I go to Richmond which is a very walky area (if you know what I mean?) and everyones dogs are running free anyway which may be the reason I've never encountered any problems? Plus Woody's the best dog in the world, so there!!
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Well most of you know about Milly, so needless to say i am a bit uneasy on letting Heidi off the lead , also the fact that heidi has had her hips done and is still recoevering, and she is mad mad mad if i was to let her off i would have to put her back on when ever a person came near she just lovespeople, (could even eat a whole one) .
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 03:59 PM
I think I am worried that if he did anything to another dog off the lead then their would be accusations that its cos hes a staff and they would try and get him destroyed or something..

I am not that confident with him off the lead as i am always worrying incase I see another dog - even when we are on the top of a hill with noone around - My husband lets him off as he responds to him better I think too - I spoil him so therefore he walks all over me ( brun onot my husband !!!! LOL )

Obviously your doggy is the best in the world !! As is mine !!! LOL

I think with perseverance with Bruno I will get there and he will eventually be able to be walked off the lead to some extent. it is just the other dog owners who dont have their dogs under control more than those who dont have them on a lead - and as you say kinda find it amusing when I am struggling to cstop my 4 stone mutt from taking out their little yorkie that is trying to hump him !!!! LOL
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 06:49 PM
bitsy if i were you i would feel the same after milly xxxx
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 07:15 PM
me too bitsy x

Scrumpy cant be exercised off lead, he would run and run and run.
He did used to have lead aggression which i have now sorted out, he has definatly settled down in his older years
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2005, 02:56 PM
My Lucy and Tam are walked quite alott of the time off-lead, but I always put them right back on the lead whenever I see someone, though lately Tam will come and walk to heel without lead. But I don't take chances!

Sometimes there are occassions where I'm too late in seeing the person and Tam ends up loose by the time he sees the dog, so I drop him and actually go up and put the lead on (not drop from my arms, it's as in me telling him to "down" and him dropping). For me that works better as he's in a submissive position already and I know he'll stay.
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by BRUNDOG
That was a year ago - since then we have moved house and we now have a garden. i started to walk Bruno with my friends dog ( she has a 8 yr old bitch Heinz 57 ) We eased into it - basically I started walking behind my friend so that bruno could see josie and see she was no threat to him - we gradually caught up with her and were walkign side by side - bruno was wanting to sniff nothing more -

we did this over a period of weeks - and now we let the dogs off together up in the hills - Josie cant stand Bruno and growls and snaps at him and he follows her around like a lost puppy ( think he has fallen for her ) he never growls or anything else at her
Hi Dani

It sounds like poor Bruno had a pretty bad start in life

If Josie is growling and snapping at Bruno, it may be execerbating his aggression towards other dogs If they are not as "in your face" to him as Josie is, he may think that they are "fair game", and go for them

Just a thought - dog on dog agression is a nightmare to tackle though
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5