Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
misty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2005, 04:25 PM

windows xp

i have tried windows xp on 2 different pcs now & had trouble with freezing & crashing on both of them. after a lot of moaning i got someone to put m.e back on for me & had no problems now my pc looks like its on its way out. & if i have a new one i will have xp am i the only person to have problems with xp. we do have games (but only sims now ) could the problem be that we had profesional not home version.
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2005, 04:30 PM
XP is pretty much rock stable on computers less than 4 years old. Anything before that should be stable but occassionally has problems. Freezing generally (but by no means always) indicates a hardware fault.

Out of curiousity did you have anything like a webcam, printer, scanner that was plugged in to both computers at some point? Sometimes it's external hardware that is the cause of the crash/freeze rather than the computer itself.

Graeme
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2005, 04:32 PM
It could a mix of different things, ie. processor, ram, hard disk space.etc and etc.

I have had XP now for just over three years with no probs.

I think it just needs a fairly descent box of goodies to work on, for example it will work with 256mb ram but very slowly though.

Also it may be because it is the professional version too.

Ian
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme
XP is pretty much rock stable on computers less than 4 years old. Anything before that should be stable but occassionally has problems. Freezing generally (but by no means always) indicates a hardware fault.

Out of curiousity did you have anything like a webcam, printer, scanner that was plugged in to both computers at some point? Sometimes it's external hardware that is the cause of the crash/freeze rather than the computer itself.

Graeme
perfect diagnose would have said the same thing
misty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2005, 04:41 PM
the 2cnd pc was new everyone told me it was old games causing the problem. as my pcs main purpose is to play sims i had m.e put back on .
the only thing that was the same everytime is the internet programme & hotmail.As well as the moniter & speakers. it always starts off fine crashes once then crashes all the time sometimes taking 5 or 6 attempts to even boot up. as a friend put it on for me i was wondering if that was the problem & if i got a new set up from the shop with it already on would it be different. my OH is fed of my moaning he doesnt use it so dosnt see what all the fuss is about.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Could it be overheating, maybe the fan on the cpu has failed, this would do it.

Ian
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-08-2005, 05:47 PM
I too have always had probelms with Windoze XP, I have it installed on a laptop which is less then a year ago, I find it slow and ponderous, apllications like Mozilla thunderbird and Firefox take for ever to to open, this despite my doing a disc formatt and a clean install a month or two a go, there is now nothing on the laptop except a few applications and XP it self of course.

I also have a PC which I built myself, that has Windoze 98 SE, I tried XP on it but was less then impresseed with 98SE on,in comparison it flies, and the past few months has been pretty much immune to some of these new fangled web virus's you pick up while surfing and aimed at Windoze XP.

I Know little of PC's really, but I often read that XP is bloated and full of features the average user will never use in comparison to other operating systems available if your a tech minded type enough to be able to use them.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah i agree Xp is bloated
and i hate the look of it too (I always have mine in classic look)
i think the best is windows 98 SE
I only use XP because the software i use will only run on it

I've heard a lot of people have trouble with xp especially after installing sp2
my dad has a powerful modern computer and has had nothing but problems with xp
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
Could it be overheating, maybe the fan on the cpu has failed, this would do it.

Ian
That's would be a good diagnosis

Graeme
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Sounds like fan or CPU to me also, XP is what we roll out across the NHS and have it at home with no probs. Recently rebuilt our home pc from the ground up and now it's fine running XP.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >