Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amandah214
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Is my dog ready to give birth?

Hi everyone, i am lookin for a little advice.. i have a collie x spaniel called jess who is nearing the end of her pregnancy...
I believe i have got the dates right (hopefully) however she is showin signs of maybe goin a week early, she had a scan at 39 days and all was well with her and the pups..
However yesterday she became very sad and was poo-ing a little more than usual, i have already been takin her temp which was 37.6, yesterday it dropped to 36.7, i rang the vet who indicated this could be it so i stayed awake as much as i could through the night but nothing happened. i rang vet bk this mornin and she simply says to let her get on with it however her temp is now 36.4..
is it normal for dogs to go early, she isnt a large dog so i was wonderin if this had anythin to do with it, she is eatin but not massively but thats been the way for the past few weeks, i understand as with humans they are all different and can have different signs, its just with her temp keep droppin im a little confused..
Any help is appreciated, but please no nasty comments as i have had them in the past when askin for advice, i just want to do the best for my dog and her pups
thnx in advance..
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Unfortunately pups born before day 57 aren't 'usually' viable - too premature, my girls show signs of slowing right down and acting differently for a good week or two before delivering, fingers crossed it's the same for your girl.

My vet once told me it was a waste of time taking their temperatures, I've done it twice and each time it was wrong, so now I go by instinct, you get to recognise the signs.

Good luck.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Eating is not always a sign, my bitch ate a full meal less than two hours before whelping & a few biscuits between puppies as well. A massive increase in her nesting frenzy was my sign. Hope all goes well for you.
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2011, 06:39 PM
How many days is she at? The only thing about taking their temperature is that if it is not down, it does not always mean that she is Not going to have her pups, but I have found when it drops that low, they usually always have their pups within 24 hours.

If I have to be away somewhere when they are close, I usually take their temperature and if it is down, I don't go. That does not mean that they still cannot have them if it is not down, if that makes any sense.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:12 PM
What day is she now? What day of her season was she mated? The sperm can live for about 5 days inside the bitch, also the eggs can be inside for about 5 days waiting for the sperm. It's from the day of ovulation the gestation starts, so if she wasn't mated until 5 days after ovulation then she could have the puppies 5 days early. Unless you had her tested for ovulation then you won't know. My girl was mated on day 11 and 13 of her season and she had them 3 days early from the 1st mating.
amandah214
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2011, 11:54 PM
hi thanks so much for all your replies, Jess is currently at 55 days, her appetite has increased since my first thread so i have no clue whats going on lol, she mated 11 days from the start of her season and then again the following day, she has definately had a change in mood and is sleepin quite alot which i think is to be expected, the puppies are very active and she allows me to feel them and i actually think she really enjoys her belly rubs, i am just gunna sleep downstairs with her now until she has them... i have everythin ready so its just a waiting game i think, i will take her temp again tomorrow and hopefully this may give more indication... thnx again for all your help