View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I see why working dogs are docked, but dew claw removal I do not agree with, dogs use these when running, there are also studies showing the removal of them can cause carpal artirthitis.

http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/Mestena/dewclawsInjury.pdf

And,

Dewclaws may contribute to improved balance, too
Dewclaws are another &equently amputated dog part that are often thought to be use¬less, but in fact, the front dewclaws do have a purpose says Chris Zink, DVM, PhD. "The function of front dewclaws is to prevent torque on the leg," she says. "There are five tendons attaching the dewclaw to five muscle bundles, supporting this function¬ality. When a dog is running, the dewclaw comes into contact with the ground. If the dog needs to turn, the dewclaw digs into the ground to support the lower leg and pre¬vent torque."
"The rear dewclaws are vestigial in most breeds; that is not true for the front dew¬claws, which should be more correctly called digits or thumbs," says Dr. Zink. She works exclusively with performance dogs and has found that if a dog doesn't have dewclaws, the leg will twist when turning, which applies significant pressure on the leg. to the toes. carpus, elbow, and shoulders. The repeated twisting and pressure can ultimately cause chronic painful conditions, especially carpal arthritis. "Of the over 30 dogs I have seen with carpal arthritis, only one has had dewclaws. All the others had them removed," says Dr. Zink.
http://leeola.livejournal.com/

I also have two pics, one of Honey running, which would be after she would of used of her dew claws, and another of two NI on a beach which I asked the owner if I could use a while ago.

This is the better picture, both the pictures are natural running positions, but the human eye does not see them as it happens so fast.

Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documen...aws-injury.pdf
Thats all i can find with a quick search - I am sure I read more before but I cant find the links
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 11:20 AM
it would be interesting to see the break down of breeds, and or if these breeds were pets, or sports dogs,
Agility seems to rain quite high on these things,

lets face it, it does put extra pressure on dogs joints as many sports do with our dogs,

I have to say hand on heart that I have never yet come across a rottie with carpal arthritis, but im sure there are some out there,
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
yes I guess doing sprots or being very active with your dogs would put more strain on the dogs bodies and so make any potential problems show up that the average pet owner would not say
(having said that I would say my dogs day to day life is more stressful on their joints than the weekly agility - running and leaping and twisting on rough gorund at full speed)

The only rotties doing agility I know have their dew claws - so I have no idea

What is the reasons for removing them?? Mine do use them in day to day life - holding bones and getting the gunk out of their eyes
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
getting the gunk out of there eyes can cause many problems if the claw catches on the eye,
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 02:58 PM
I think that the reason/argument for removing front dew claws is the risk of damage, (which is , I think, debatable) although with a show or non working dog I think it is done to make the line of the leg down to the foot more streamlined. This was the reason a breeder gave for having a litter of shelties dew claws removed.
As for docking tails, flatcoats are a working breed and tails are never docked - even though they go through rough undergrowth, water, etc. etc. Like springers, their tails are always going and they can have accidents. I concede that springers are a bit lower on the ground, but both breeds often work in a similar fashion. Setters are never docked, but weimerranas and german shorthaired pointers are/have been routinely docked and they are large dogs, same as flatcoats and setters. I am generally against docking dogs, but it would be interesting to know what the breed specific arguments are for docking, as it does not seem to add up to me.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I think that the reason/argument for removing front dew claws is the risk of damage, (which is , I think, debatable) although with a show or non working dog I think it is done to make the line of the leg down to the foot more streamlined. This was the reason a breeder gave for having a litter of shelties dew claws removed.
As for docking tails, flatcoats are a working breed and tails are never docked - even though they go through rough undergrowth, water, etc. etc. Like springers, their tails are always going and they can have accidents. I concede that springers are a bit lower on the ground, but both breeds often work in a similar fashion. Setters are never docked, but weimerranas and german shorthaired pointers are/have been routinely docked and they are large dogs, same as flatcoats and setters. I am generally against docking dogs, but it would be interesting to know what the breed specific arguments are for docking, as it does not seem to add up to me.
Flat Coats are retrievers though. So while their job may require them to push through cover to make a retrieve sometimes, their main function is retrieving and not working cover extensively like Spaniels and many HPR breeds. That is why they are not docked.

Plus, I think Flat Coats have a similar orgin to Labradors for use in water? Labs use their thick tails as rudders, which is one of the reasons they are excellent in water. Most Spaniels that I have seen are not as quick or confident in the water as Retrievers, which is again why they are not docked.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I like my dogs to have all the bits that they were borne with - Tai unfortunately had his dew claws removed before we inherited him, but he has everything else intact. I would never have any pups I bred de-dewclawed or docked, I like my dogs to be as nature intended.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Fair nuff, I havent seen days old pups
I still question the need to remove them at all when the dogs do use them
Exactly ! Good point !
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
My eldest (who is docked - I must add here that I am not for docking but do understand the preferal to dock certain breeds) had to have surgery today for a polup on his eyelid.

The tip of his tail has been agrivated for some time now, my vet examined this thoroughly whilst he was under GA an said that he may has to have the stump amuptated in the future if it gets infected. the reason, over active glands!

Now as I said before - I am not really for docking, but NOT against those who work 'genuinely' work their dogs (yep have seen tail damage) but what I am against is these wannabes who want to dock for the 'wrong' reasons!
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »