View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I want a cuddle with cruiser after seeing those pics!!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 08:51 AM
dogs and kids make great companions if raised to respect one another. Ignore the ignorant people!
Hannah and Rio
Sam and Loki
The kids and Dandy

My dogs and kids have never hurt each other. We also have two cats and my youngest was two when we got our first pet. My kids aren't scared of animals like a lot of kids are. It must be awful to be terrified of something you will come across in every park and beach. Some parents have a lot to answer for.
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-09-2009, 09:21 AM
There is, without doubt, a stirring of unrest out there. It came up at our local residents’ association recently. The two main issues seem to be dog poo and dogs that are not under control and “chase” children. Someone local to me had their young child bitten (not sure as to what her definition of a bite is) and a ball burst and something happened to the third child. This, to me, raises questions about how well the children were being supervised. However, this woman was insisting that all dogs should be kept on a lead in public places and had no right to run around on a playing field. Yes the idea is bordering on the hysterical but, as we so often see, in the morally bankrupt world of this current government the vociferous complainer often wins the day against logical thought and common sense. As dog owners we need to be ready to argue against the sort of nonsense that Brundog received and start to educate the ignorant.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi,

It's a shame we don't have dog parks here in the UK as they do in the US. Then dog owners can allow their dogs off lead (those that behave reasonably well anyway) and know there won't be any unruly children to get i the way, thus causing long term poblems for dogs and owners alike.

If just one section of one main park in every city in the UK was designated a doggy area this would solve a lot of problems and may even go so far as to educate a few of those who haven't completely closed their minds to dog ownership.

As far as children, supervision and dogs running free are concerns - I read about the KC scheem called "Safe and Sound" which educates and reinforces a few rules in order for children (nut it works for everyone) to stay safe. For example, it tells what to do if a dog running free approaches you in a park etc
I am currently in the process of attending many of the primary schools in and around Birmingham with at least one of my dogs (usually Zne) in order to demonstrate this and to show children that dogs are not scary, aggressive beasts to be afraid of. Tjose children who are not comfortable around dogs for whatever reason don't have to come anywhere near them. But those that do wish to come and say hello are given the opportunity to do so and they ask a lot of very sensible questions too.

So maybe by educating the children first, the adults will eventually catch on!

Laura xx
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Mrs.S' grandson with the late Snorri-dog = his first visit to a beach and his first-ever "hands-on" with a dog. No problem!

Snorri
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2009, 10:17 AM
While that person is likely hopeless, perhaps you owe it to the other children to dig up some references to the positive side of having dogs, the social aspects and the allergies thing, and work at educating the more open minded there. Even if you are a small minority, if you present a reasoned case backed up with good references, the more rational will accept it. And hunt down good references, not something that sounds good, but could be a front for Pets at Home or other wise with an agenda.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

It's a shame we don't have dog parks here in the UK as they do in the US. Then dog owners can allow their dogs off lead (those that behave reasonably well anyway) and know there won't be any unruly children to get i the way, thus causing long term poblems for dogs and owners alike.

If just one section of one main park in every city in the UK was designated a doggy area this would solve a lot of problems and may even go so far as to educate a few of those who haven't completely closed their minds to dog ownership.

As far as children, supervision and dogs running free are concerns - I read about the KC scheem called "Safe and Sound" which educates and reinforces a few rules in order for children (nut it works for everyone) to stay safe. For example, it tells what to do if a dog running free approaches you in a park etc
I am currently in the process of attending many of the primary schools in and around Birmingham with at least one of my dogs (usually Zne) in order to demonstrate this and to show children that dogs are not scary, aggressive beasts to be afraid of. Tjose children who are not comfortable around dogs for whatever reason don't have to come anywhere near them. But those that do wish to come and say hello are given the opportunity to do so and they ask a lot of very sensible questions too.

So maybe by educating the children first, the adults will eventually catch on!

Laura xx
I'm not at all sure about that. The reason they have these dog parks is that dogs are banned from just about everywhere else or at best they have to be on lead. I'd rather have the freedom to walk where I like with my dog, as long as I use common sense. Unless the dog parks were acres and acres (unlikely in British towns) I'd get bored senseless of having to walk in the same place every day.

And by segregating ourselves more, I think it is even more likely to spur on those who think that dogs are a bad thing because they will have even less understanding of them.

I'd much rather we were heading towards most of Europe where dogs are accepted in most places without raised eyebrows than towards the American way.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 11:06 AM
More children are harmed each year by adults so does that mean children should never be photographed with adults ?
My children were brought up having 2-5 dogs at any time and I think it has taught them to be kind and considerate adults toward animals and people
sbt4eva
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2009, 11:26 AM
My sons who have just turned 18 and 12 have been raised sbt,my breed of choice.My youngest who is into his motorbike,plays footy for school and local club is a real lads lad so to say,but every time he comes in the dogs are so pleased to see him and visca versa.
He expressess his self,isnt affraid of showing his emotions,and is a cuddle monster,he and my dogs inter act beautifully together,he talks to them,and they listen,he may have had a bad day at footy or school etc,but one cuddle from his dogs makes everything better.
may sound soppy all this,but i think it has made both my sons better young men having shared their lifes with dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry you are having a hard time on the mums forum Dani (which forum is it, as I would like to add my twopennyworth!?)

All the photos so far are fabulous. I love seeing children with dogs. I couldn't have a dog as a child so spent all my free time walking dogs in the village where I grew up and longing for a dog of my own. I think Ben (my son) is soooo lucky to be able to grow up surrounded by my (and hubby's) dogs. I would have killed for a childhood like his

Dogs bring an awful lot into a child's life - companionship, a playmate, a protector and guardian, the child learns about responsibility, how to care for another being and about life and death. Studies have shown that children who grow up with pets suffer less allergies than children who don't. The positives far outweigh any negatives as far as I am concerned and as long as child and dog are taught to respect each other then they are the best of friends and accidents are avoided.

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »