Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2005, 10:07 PM

Scams ??

My hubby is selling his car (wahey) and has advertised it online. The first day of advertising he got an email from Spain in very poor english asking about the cars condition and showing interest in shipping it etc. staight away I said it's one of those scammers I bet they offer to give you twice the amount and you pay them back the rest ... sure enough this evening another email arrived offering a cheque for almost double the asking price for him to forward the remainder to them ??? I know it's a con but how does this work is it money laundering or are they trying to get your details or what??
How stupid would you have to be to think that some stranger was going to pay you thousands for a car they haven't even seen and they also trust you enough to give you a cheque for double the amount .... yeah right ...
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2005, 10:11 PM
they give you the cheque which you put into your account and then forward the other half to them and then they cancel the cheque- but they still recieve the money from YOUR account
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Thats what I thought but it said once the cheque has cleared
girlsmum
Dogsey Junior

02-01-2005, 10:27 PM
I watched a news report on this the other day - the banks put it through as cleared balance without checking!

So you pay out the difference and then it can take the bank up to three weeks to realise, by which time you are scre**d!
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Ahh I see GM, I'd heared about it somewhere too but couldn't remember the details
Thanks