Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 05:27 PM

How can I stop pup crying in the crate when we're out

My neighbour approached hubby today and told him that Ranger is crying and barking whenever we go out, until we come back in. Obviously I had no idea this was happening and I'm gutted I've been slowly crate training him since we got him, and I thought he was happy with it (he's in there at the moment chewing on a bone, door open). Doing it bits at a time during the day when we're in etc, and he's happy to go in and out the rest of the time. What can I do, as I'm not happy to leave him roaming the house free on his own yet as he's teething.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 05:38 PM
The only thing I could suggest if you're leaving him when you're in, is putting him in his crate, then leaving the house, but coming back about 20 seconds later, not making any fuss of him (basically just ignore him), then work up the time, but leave the house (and lock up as you would if you were leaving) each time.
DexNjj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Practicing leaving the house is a good idea. Perhaps you can employ a webcam to help you figure out what triggers the whining and barking.

Here are a few more things you might try:

Have you tried covering the crate?
My dogs are happy to be in a crate with a blanket draped over the top, but will whine if left uncovered. I guess that with the blanket they feel cozy, whereas they feel confined when they can see the whole house.

Does he have things to occupy himself in the crate?
My dogs each have their own stuffed animal to cuddle with that is a crate-only toy as well as Kongs and the occasional bone to keep them occupied. This seems to help them stay mentally engaged.

Have you experimented with the kind of bedding you use?
My dogs do NOT like any bedding in their crates unless it is really cold out. If I put any pillows or carpet down for them, then they will wad it all up in one corner.

Have you tried restricting him to a bathroom or kitchen where he can do little damage?
Perhaps once he gets used to a smaller room, then you can transition him to the crate.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Thank you for the replies And I'll certainly be giving the going out and coming back in a good trial, excellent idea. Also the covering the crate, hadn't thought of that.

He has toys and chews in his crate, and we also give him bulls pizzles in it, just for crate time He has had a bed/not had a bed/back to a bed and tbh I can't say I've noticed him have a preference, but I'll try having the bed in only half and observe.

The kitchen is a no go area for him (safety gate on), that is the cats sanctuary. Means they have someplace to go to get away from him when he wants to 'play' , and I'm afraid the bathroom wouldn't work as it's actually less floor room than the crate!

But as I said, I like the other ideas and will be trying them from tomorrow morning Thank you.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 08:05 AM
I see he`s a GSD? These are a vocal breed and also hate being separated from their mum, so it`s not going to be an easy one IMO.
I`ve never crated any of mine. I`ve always found they settle better when they can find their own place to be. (Usually beside the front door waiting pathetically for me to return).
GSDs are sensitive souls.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Thank you for the replies And I'll certainly be giving the going out and coming back in a good trial, excellent idea. Also the covering the crate, hadn't thought of that.

He has toys and chews in his crate, and we also give him bulls pizzles in it, just for crate time He has had a bed/not had a bed/back to a bed and tbh I can't say I've noticed him have a preference, but I'll try having the bed in only half and observe.

The kitchen is a no go area for him (safety gate on), that is the cats sanctuary. Means they have someplace to go to get away from him when he wants to 'play' , and I'm afraid the bathroom wouldn't work as it's actually less floor room than the crate!

But as I said, I like the other ideas and will be trying them from tomorrow morning Thank you.

Hi, nothing has the range of vocalisations of a GSD, one minute they are a Wookie, the next a sea lion!

I will post a couple of links that might help you, my GSD was crated from 7 weeks (I always use crates it can save a pup's life) and you will find a crate invaluable at all stages of life eg when ill, if you have something dangerous on floor, when travelling, for visitors etc etc.

But your dog needs to be comfy and your neighbours deserve some peace.

Just because a dog makes a noise in a crate does not mean it is distressed, quite often it means they are frustrated and it is up to us to teach them how to deal with it and that they cannot always have what they want when they want it!

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/cratetrianing.pdf
http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/te...yhomealone.pdf

HTH
Kevin Colwill
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2011, 10:37 AM
If the dog is happy in its crate when you’re about then the crate (I call it a cage but what the hey!) is not the real issue. The crux of it is the separation.
If the dog wasn’t in the crate separation anxiety would still exist although it might manifest itself differently.
I’ve know a good few GSD’s and for all their bravery as police dogs are not the most stoic of breeds and do tend let you know if they don’t 100% approve of what’s going on. Unfortunately that makes it hard to gage if they are genuinely distressed or just “whinging”.
I’d put the dog in its cage regularly for, say, 15 minutes twice a day while I was around the house. To begin with I’d spend the whole time in the same room as the dog. After a couple of days I’d spend the middle five minutes in another room and slowly extend that to the full 15 minutes.
I’d make the experience very matter of fact with no fuss about going in the cage and no fuss when let out again.