View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Wish i had the problem of my bitch no standing . .

She is 5 1/2 months old not in season and stood for her grandfather the other day. Little mare!!! Some quick reactions and shouting meant nothing happened but she is a dirty thing.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Just wondering your thoughts on 'Artificial Insemination (AI) in Dogs'. I do not know how common it is or much about it. Just wondering what you guys think and know about it?
I think it is a great tool when used properly and for the right reasons. I do not agree with using AI just because they can not get a natural mating, in this case they should use a different stud or, if it is due to a fault with the bitch, then they should not be bred from. AI can be a fantastic method of widening the gene pool by using dogs that wouldn't have previously been possible (such as deceased dogs). It isn't very common (not over here anyway, it is common in the States) but I am rather glad the option exists (I wouldn't have my little lad otherwise ).

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I think its brilliant..

It enables people to breed from deceased dogs which had wonderful quality's..

I have seen pups from an AI litter and they are exceptional.. The breeder put a huge amount of thought and work into the litter and they have all done her proud..
Couldn't agree more Lou

Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
... and isn't too hot on breeding for perfection and type, i prefer health and temperament.
Who is saying you can not get good health and temperament from an AI mating?

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
As far as I am aware AI is only allowed (resulting pups being KC registered) by the KC if the stud (donate) is not in this Country/to far away to travel or Dead.!!
Yes and there are certain procedures you need to adhere to before the KC will register the litter. They are very strict about the surgical AI.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
I think it is a great tool when used properly and for the right reasons. I do not agree with using AI just because they can not get a natural mating, in this case they should use a different stud or, if it is due to a fault with the bitch, then they should not be bred from. AI can be a fantastic method of widening the gene pool by using dogs that wouldn't have previously been possible (such as deceased dogs). It isn't very common (not over here anyway, it is common in the States) but I am rather glad the option exists (I wouldn't have my little lad otherwise ).

Couldn't agree more Lou

Who is saying you can not get good health and temperament from an AI mating?

Yes and there are certain procedures you need to adhere to before the KC will register the litter. They are very strict about the surgical AI.

No i was saying that my stance may well be explained by the fact that i am not that keen on breeding for type. I'm sure you can get the same results from AI but personally it's not what i would choose for a dog of mine.....but then i won't ever be breeding from any of my pets.
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
I agree.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5