Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Please excuse my prurient interest but just how does the vet collect the sperm???

J
In simple terms , the vet will "tease" the dog, and collect the semen in a bottle............

It will be a little more technical than that, with sterile equipment, and guidelines...but basically thats it!!

They use what is called "straws" to hold and distribute the semen .

Well thats what they do with horses, so am guessing the principal will be the same.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Personally i don't agree with it, but then i don't agree with it when it is done with farm animals either. I suppose that is a pretty obvious stance from a vegetarian who doesn't believe in mass farming of animals, and isn't too hot on breeding for perfection and type, i prefer health and temperament.

Personally i feel it should be more natural. Animals have been reproducing without human assistance forever, i think it is a step to far. We interefer enough already.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by kachinas View Post
I tried AI, with my dog, when I was told she had ovulated but would not stand for the stud,

It's a fairly easy procedure, but in my, or I should say my dogs case it didn't work.

In that case then I don't agree with trying to force dogs to have pups if they don't want to stand
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
In that case then I don't agree with trying to force dogs to have pups in they don't want to stand
Well said Fern. If a dog doesn't want to stand, then why should they be made to have AI......don't animals have a say in anything anymore?

If anyone watched that programe about the tribe from Vanuatu "meet the natives", you would have seen a really good reaction to AI in pigs. They could not believe that we did it and made comments like:

- where is the respect for the animal
- they should have privacy when they mate and humans are not needed
- why do you need to do that when animals have been doing this without human help
- it can't be a nice for the pig etc.

They didn't agree with the explanation that it meant there could be more pigs, better quality animals etc, and said that it wasn't right or normal.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I know someone who bred their dog , it wouldn't stand either so it was held in some sort of device and basicly raped . The owner thought it was ok I thought it was a disgusting way to treat a dog
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I know someone who bred their dog , it wouldn't stand either so it was held in some sort of device and basicly raped . The owner thought it was ok I thought it was a disgusting way to treat a dog

It is disgusting. Whose benefit was it for? I'm sure it wasn't for the dogs benefit rather for the benefit of the breeder. either for their pocket, kudos, or "to better the breed" (i'm always doubtfull when this phrase is used), none of these consider what the dog wants! Why should they be made to get pregnant if they are not happy with the mating situation, AI or not!
kachinas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2008, 08:25 AM
In that case then I don't agree with trying to force dogs to have pups if they don't want to stand
I understand that.
I was offered the opportunity, I was told what it would involve. Because she was in season, and the male was with us, the vet just waited till the dog tried to mount my girl and then he took over with a plastic glove and a plastic bag. I don't think the dog knew the difference really, as far as he was concerned he did his bit! He was quite happy

My girl then was Inseminated, using a long thin tube, I know it sounds awfull but it wasn't that bad really, she was ok, well apart from the funny looks she gave me!

The vet was also able to check the dogs sperm count at the sametime, which was also very handy.

Would I do it again? To be honest I don't know, it would depend on a lot of things,

I have since found out the reason she would not stand. However, this was neither picked up by myself or my vets pre-mate check.

I felt at the time this was better than the tying down that was also suggested! , I would never forgive myself for that!

I hope that answers some of your questions,
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Personally i don't agree with it, but then i don't agree with it when it is done with farm animals either. I suppose that is a pretty obvious stance from a vegetarian who doesn't believe in mass farming of animals, and isn't too hot on breeding for perfection and type, i prefer health and temperament.

Personally i feel it should be more natural. Animals have been reproducing without human assistance forever, i think it is a step to far. We interefer enough already.
After all the revelations about dogs and their limited gene pools, I think that getting frozen sperm sent from somewhere like Australia is a better option than shipping a dog thousands of miles and keeping them in quarentine. Part of todays problems with in breeding is caused from being an island, it just seems a better option to get healthier dogs
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by kachinas View Post
I understand that.
I was offered the opportunity, I was told what it would involve. Because she was in season, and the male was with us, the vet just waited till the dog tried to mount my girl and then he took over with a plastic glove and a plastic bag. I don't think the dog knew the difference really, as far as he was concerned he did his bit! He was quite happy

My girl then was Inseminated, using a long thin tube, I know it sounds awfull but it wasn't that bad really, she was ok, well apart from the funny looks she gave me!

The vet was also able to check the dogs sperm count at the sametime, which was also very handy.

Would I do it again? To be honest I don't know, it would depend on a lot of things,

I have since found out the reason she would not stand. However, this was neither picked up by myself or my vets pre-mate check.

I felt at the time this was better than the tying down that was also suggested! , I would never forgive myself for that!

I hope that answers some of your questions,

I think that bit is interesting. Sometimes dogs know far more than we credit them for, e.g. when they chose not to stand for a particular male, or for any male, or they shun a certain pup ....sometimes people interfer and then discover medical issues later on that the bitch maywell have been well aware of !
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
After all the revelations about dogs and their limited gene pools, I think that getting frozen sperm sent from somewhere like Australia is a better option than shipping a dog thousands of miles and keeping them in quarentine. Part of todays problems with in breeding is caused from being an island, it just seems a better option to get healthier dogs

Yes, good point. But also the gene pool could be adjusted by out breeding from dog which aren't neccesarily pure bred dogs or dogs from the same breed. Something that has been discussed a lot recently after the BBC KC program.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >