Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Article in local Paper

A friend sent me this yesterday and I can only say I'm really shock at the irresponsbility of this dog owner !

Here wee go

From the archive, first published Thursday 23rd Mar 2006.

MEET Basil, probably the most streetwise Dalmatian in the world. The dog has taken himself for a daily walk across busy main roads for the last NINE years.

But somehow the crafty canine has managed to dodge the rush-hour traffic at a busy Poole junction.

Animal lovers have tried to alert his owners to the risk. But they get more than they bargained for at the door of his luxury home in Branksome Park.

Instead of grateful thanks for returning the family pet, callers have been handed a leaflet telling them to "get a life".

It reads: "Congratulations! You are now a full member of the `Basil takes himself for a pee' club'. If you see him again please do not waste your precious time in informing us he has emptied his bladder.

"If, however, you have time to spare, we suggest you join a voluntary organisation as you are obviously a very caring person with plenty of time to spare. Details can be found at www.getalife.com. Thanks for your time!"

Charles and Sarah Charlick were driving along Lindsay Road, near its junction with Leicester Road, when the dog ran in front of their vehicle at about 9am on Monday.

"I nearly hit the dog but I managed to avoid it and was obviously concerned about where it had come from," said Mr Charlick.

"A lady told me which house it had come from and I went to the door. A young woman opened the door and called to her mum.

"Her mum just gave me the note and closed the door.

"I was absolutely gobsmacked. Not only is the dog in danger, but it could have caused an accident leading to people being injured."

When the Echo called at the address in Leicester Road, there was a note pinned to the front door which read: "Any inquiries about the Dalmatian please do not knock but take a leaflet."

Underneath the note was a plastic bag filled with leaflets printed in three colours on A4 paper.

"This person has obviously gone to a lot of trouble making the leaflets, but she should be looking after the dog," added Mr Charlick.

"I have reported her to the RSPCA and to the dog warden and hope that they will take action."

But a woman at the house told the Echo: "They can report me if they want to, I don't care. My dog has been doing this for nine years.

"If I didn't give him any freedom I would be criticised for being cruel to animals. I can't believe these people bother to knock when they see the dog come back and it is obvious this is where he lives."

Our photographer spotted Basil strolling from his front gate, ready to make his morning "call".

He waited for the traffic to ease before crossing Leicester Road and then Lindsay Road. Basil then relieved himself on a nearby tree before crossing the road and heading back up his driveway.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 made it an offence to have a dog without a lead on a designated road.

A spokesman for Poole council confirmed a complaint has been received and that the matter will be investigated.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2006, 01:47 PM
What an IDIOT!!!!! People like that just shouldnt be allowed to have a dog. It is too much for the bit** to get off her a*** and take her dog for a walk then? If the answer is 'yes' then DONT HAVE A DOG!!!!!
Poor dog! It must be a miracle that he hasnt been hit yet. It only takes one person a momentary lapse in concentration and the dog to not move quick enough and you have a disaster on your hands. I hope that family are never allowed to own any sort of animal again.

Things like this make me SO SO mad! GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2006, 02:13 PM
woman round the corner here does this with her 2 dogs ( no leaflets though!) One day they will cause an accident.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2006, 02:27 PM
I wish I lived closer I'd be straight up to Leicester Rd. Stupid woman!!!!!!!!!!

The sheer lack of care. Sorry I know this is cruel but someone should go round there without the dog (ie, when the dog is out) and say 'sorry but I've hit Basil'. Maybe the shock would kick her into action.

Stupid woman! I can't get over that. Plenty of people round here do it, just let their dogs out, but it's the attitude of this woman!

Sorry but if she gave me a leaflet telling me to 'get a life' and shut the door, I'd knock again and when she opened it, give her a fist sandwich!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Kristina
Poor dog! It must be a miracle that he hasnt been hit yet. It only takes one person a momentary lapse in concentration and the dog to not move quick enough and you have a disaster on your hands.
Yep! and who's fault would it be?? The person driving the car I expect!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Some people are so stupid They don't deserve to own a dog
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2006, 02:54 PM
I think someone should take the dog, put a little note on her door 'taken your dog' - that SHOULD scare her into keeping it safe.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2006, 02:59 PM
If I saw that dog, I would just take it home with me.
sez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2006, 02:59 PM
complete and utter prats ,but why has it taken the dog warden and local council 9 yrs to look into it
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2006, 03:34 PM
That's a good Q .. never thought of that .....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >