Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 10:04 AM

Max has cut his foot

Hi guys just need some advice. We were walking through the woods today for about an hour and all seemed fine. I put max in the car and he jumped in and out fine and i didnt notice anything. Anyway came in went to the loo and came out and saw a trail of dots of blood. Thought it was cat to be honest but followed trail (all round the house every carpet!) to find a sad looking max at the end of it licking his front left foot. He has a little triangle shaped flap of skin on one of his big pads about half a centimetre i reckon lol. Anyway I have washed it in salt water put a bit of savlon on it then cotton woll then a sticky bandage round his whole pad! Its the first first aid i have had to do to him. Did I do it right? Should I take him to vet? He wont walk on it cos of the bandage but how long do I leave that on? He looks very sad but Phil says he always looks like that lol
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
awww poor max i have never had to do it katy so dont know what to advise, someone with brains will be along in a second, just wanted to tell you to give him a hug from me
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Poor max!!! ((hugs)) Cant really advice you, sure someone else will be more helpful!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Pads do bleed alarmingly sometimes. If it is just a small cut I would not bother with a dressing. Allow the air to get to it to dry it up and just make sure it is quite clean after he has been outside. If it starts to really bother him or looks at all inflamed & nasty then take him to the vet.,
Carole
Supervisor

05-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Star is always cutting her pads I usually clean out with salt water and make sure there is nothing in the cut and leave it up to Star to keep it clean herself It usually heals within a few days on its on.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

05-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes SB and Carole that would be my advice too.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Awww poor ickle Max

When Luna cut her pad I used something called "woundpowder".. Its chlorine hexidine (dont know wot it would be called in english) in powder instead of liqiud.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Agree with the above, and wound powder is great for fast healing, used it a lot on Lurchers.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Katy, I am inclined to agree with the others as I think you should put the wound powder on it and let the air get to it. If you are going to bandage it, don't use cotton wool as it will all stick to it, you have to get the proper dressings, also vet-wrap is brilliant as a bandage as it all sticks to itself and he won't be able to get it off easily. Pets at Home do a special little boot, which you could put on him when you let him outside as you don't want any dirt getting in there if it's so open. If it's quite a big flap of pad that's hanging off they can stitch it, maybe phone your vet and get his advice too? Good luck, not a good place to have a wound poor Max. You mustn't get an infection in there as you will end up with what Steve and Abe had with his paw as it wenton for months! Maybe you should phone your vet in any case for advice as he may want to put him on some antibiotics for fear of any infection.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
thanx guys off to take off the cotton wool!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >