Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
[/B]

Oh yes there are plenty of those! My mum's dog once used a Westie as a hand towel. The owners were not impressed!
Ha ha!!!! Love it! There's a lot of Westie owners round here who don't want their dog to get muddy - why buy a white dog then if you live near a load of muddy fields!!!!!!

Gorgeous pics Scarter. It's the same where I live - loads of dogs all playing together, it's great. And you're right, lone dogs do tend to stay away from the 'pack' of dogs who all know each other. Sometimes though we get a new one. The latest addition is a black lab (1 year old) called Jasmine. So that brings the pack to 11 on a good day!
Gemma27
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I have a small JRT who has always been off lead, is under control and rarely goes up to other dogs. Unfortunately she was badly beaten up by two other dogs some months back and now demonstrates some fear agression, though it is getting better all the time.

Although she is fearful if confronted by more than one dog at a time, we were advised not to put her on the lead when we saw other dogs approaching but rather take a wide berth or walk off the path until the other dogs pass.

This has not always been easy as often the other dogs are not under control and try to get to her. However, it is worth it as she is much better now and much more relaxed and confident.

I am told that by immediately putting them on the lead it reaffirms their fear. Keeping them off lead but contolling the situation by getting them to follow you away from the situation gives them confidence in your leadership.

I am no trainer so I don't know whether this is total rubbish but is seems to be working for ours.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2008, 05:07 PM
That must be hard. All your instincts are to mollycoddle them and keep them safe, but it's not in their best interests. Well done for being brave!!

I really think the most important decision we made for our dogs is to let them play off lead every day. I wouldn't have been brave enough on my own. For a good few weeks when she was going though the worst of her teenage rebellion my partner had to do all the walks without me as she used to pick up on my anxiety and really play up. She behaved much better when I wasn't there.

Anyway, I promised to post up the snaps of our little 11 week old boy's first off lead experience in the park.

Here's a video clip showing the moment he got his first taste of freedom :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27172079@N08/3029935818/

He was just like his big sister - stuck to us like glue. If things go the same with him as they did with her it'll all start to go pear shaped at 4.5 - 5 months. That's when the hard bit starts!

Some more piccies....

Just a little taste of what's to come. On Sunday he'll get his first experience of 'Beagle Hill'

Out of interest have any of you looked at these pet tracking gadgets? There's one that looks quite promising called Roameo. You have a little hand held device and it will tell you where your dog is, how fast it's moving and in what direction. I think it would be very reassuring to know that if your dog does go out of sight for a moment in hte trees that you know exactly where she is. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem getting them in this country. I suspect something to do with regulations over radio broadcasting.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 05:30 PM
He is so adorable. Glad you are over the hill with the teenage stage with your girlie. Enjoy Biggles now that he is a very little puppy and try not to think of it going pear shaped once the teenage stage kicks in. You'll get over it same as before.

Love his ears, and his little jacket. Very smart little fellow!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
That must be hard. All your instincts are to mollycoddle them and keep them safe, but it's not in their best interests. Well done for being brave!!

I really think the most important decision we made for our dogs is to let them play off lead every day. I wouldn't have been brave enough on my own. For a good few weeks when she was going though the worst of her teenage rebellion my partner had to do all the walks without me as she used to pick up on my anxiety and really play up. She behaved much better when I wasn't there.

Anyway, I promised to post up the snaps of our little 11 week old boy's first off lead experience in the park.

Here's a video clip showing the moment he got his first taste of freedom :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27172079@N08/3029935818/

He was just like his big sister - stuck to us like glue. If things go the same with him as they did with her it'll all start to go pear shaped at 4.5 - 5 months. That's when the hard bit starts!

Some more piccies....

Just a little taste of what's to come. On Sunday he'll get his first experience of 'Beagle Hill'

Out of interest have any of you looked at these pet tracking gadgets? There's one that looks quite promising called Roameo. You have a little hand held device and it will tell you where your dog is, how fast it's moving and in what direction. I think it would be very reassuring to know that if your dog does go out of sight for a moment in hte trees that you know exactly where she is. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem getting them in this country. I suspect something to do with regulations over radio broadcasting.
Fab , glad all was well with your boys first off lead walk xxx
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Both my dogs are 'on lead' breeds, but that's more to do with the fact that they are a bit selectively deaf at times. I have always let Loki off in safe areas, however and he's really quite good, especially if I have tasty treats! Rio has a long line, but she runs free at our local fenced in park and at the beach. Estrelas aren't noted for their recall, but then, the Portuguese police use them the way our police use GSDs, so they are very trainable, they just have to know you mean business. So far Rio is much more responsive and obedient than Loki was at her age. But then, she came from a good breeder, too - Loki didn't.

I believe that the problem with letting Huskies, Mallies, Akitas etc. off lead is not just the tendency for poor recall, it's the high prey drive. Whilst Beagles and Elkhounds love to track, they generally don't do the killing thing.

I know that my dogs have a great time off lead, and I do love to watch them run.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I believe that the problem with letting Huskies, Mallies, Akitas etc. off lead is not just the tendency for poor recall, it's the high prey drive. Whilst Beagles and Elkhounds love to track, they generally don't do the killing thing.

The instinct to chase and to run..

If they decided to chase a rabbit etc..they would run and go deaf.. for as far as the rabbit could run.. these dogs can run at up to 25mph (thats a long way away in a short time..)
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I think that with a little bit of patience any dog can be trained to be reliable.

I can call Nala (Akita) off of a rabbit when she is within a foot of it and always have been able to, the same with my father-in-laws Shiba.

It just takes a different kind of training to other breeds.

Nala is rarely on a lead (virtually never) and, in her 13 and a half years has never run off or failed to recall. I too, had her off the lead from the moment she was on the ground.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Do you have any particular methods that you felt worked well for your dogs Chellie? We got some success and ideas by using the Natural Dog Training methods:

http://www.naturaldogblog.com/blog/

Particularly good for dogs with a very strong prey drive. I feel it needs a little tweaking for scent hounds, but a good way of looking at things.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
The instinct to chase and to run..

If they decided to chase a rabbit etc..they would run and go deaf.. for as far as the rabbit could run.. these dogs can run at up to 25mph (thats a long way away in a short time..)
Wow that's fast! Loki is too lazy to run. He only bothers chasing squirrels but as they run straight up trees it's not a problem, and he will leave if I shout.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >