View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I totally agree it is rude but i just let it wash over me. When i am out walking my dogs i can just let it go and enjoy my walk but if i am in town commuting i turn into a monster. I can't help but comment on people's rudeness and my OH constantly worries it's going to get me knifed some day! Had to go in early the other day so it's the middle of the rush hour and all the commuters are trying to get off the train and through the barriers. An old guy in front is holding it up very slightly as he is obviously VERY old and barely capable of walking. A young guy behind me says "get a fcuking move on mate". I just gently said "be patient, he's obviously got problems". He replied "we've all got problems" so i said "yes and i think his are worse than yours". The young guy then tells me to "go fcuk myself" to which i simply said "actually mate, go fcuk yourself, you're the complete a***hole". Charming.

Anyways, the one thing to be said in defence of these walkers i bumped into a friend of mine in the pub the other day, he teased me for being rude as he said he had seen me on my morning walks and shouted hello but i had ignored him. I was shocked as i couldn't even remember seeing or hearing him so was really apologetic. I do tend to go off into my own little doggy world on my walks - and it was a 6.30 am!!!!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 10:40 AM
tch people eh!

last time we went along the walkway a cyclist whizzed past us at full speed luckily i'd seen him coming and put the dogs in a down at the side, my Mum (theres just no controlling her sometimes!) shouted 'slowing down wouldnt kill you mate, kids and dogs might run infront of you!' he shouted back that its a 'fcuking bike track and we shouldnt be walking there' - which is absolute twaddle, his son - who was about forty! just avoided our eyes but slowed down. On the way back he approached the other way, I called the dogs in behind me and put them in a sit, he then proceeded to give us a lecture about how we shouldnt be there until I pointed out the notice on the gate that says 'cyclists slow walkers right of way' he then went into a rant about how dogs should be under control!!! I just looked at the four dogs sat patiently round my feet and said 'your point is?' at that point his son told him to shut up and move on
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
This afternoon, I was blanked twice...both men, both refused to acknowledge or even look at me! I really don't get this mentality - why is it so hard to say 'hello' back?
I usually find it's men that don't speak. My OH doesn't lke to talk to people when he's walking the dogs and my friend's husband is the same as well. It's just men - they don't like to talk as much as women

I like to say hello and give people a big smile - especially when they are giving my little terrier dirty looks for barking
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 11:36 AM
u should try talking to my OH when hes out with ben, he will happily chat away for ages.
earlier on in the year he came home all in a fluster, a woman who he had been talking to for a while took his friendly manner as a come on and invited him back to her car for some *rumpy pumpy* he said i dont effing well think so he then avoided that part of the park for months LOL
but i normally walk be with a friend so we natter on. some times a couple of other walkers will join us. so its one heaving mass of dogs all knowing who has the treats LOL
its when the warm weathers here thats when all the strange dogs AND OWNERS come out.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 12:36 PM
If someone doesn't reply when I say hello or good morning/afternoon/evening, I usually make a comment to Poppy along the lines of "Blimey, he was rude wasn't he Pops?" and carry on walking.

If I move Poppy out of the way of a cyclist or jogger and they don't thank me, I usually say "You're welcome, but I won't bother next time".
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
I'm a hermit... I don't want to talk... I just nod my head at people so they can see I recognise them... as in 'I know they're there', and I saw them. I 'nodded' hello..
Me too, although sometimes I get cornered by an old guy with his dog, our dogs get on so thats ok, but hes a bit forgetful and deaf, and its like groundhog day we have the same conversation every time, its so boring, I groan when I see him.He is a nice enough chap and its not his fault, but everytime he seems suprised that I'm walking the dogs, and its their 2nd walk of the day because he always sees my OH walking them early in the morning, and I take them out in the afternoon.Then he always asks me what one of my dogs name is and I tell him its Betty, and then he says, Betsy I remember now, and I have to say no its Betty, and then we walk around having the same conversation each time.I actually like being on my own with the dogs throwing the ball and enjoying their company, it spoils it for me having anyone other than my OH walking with me.
bobbym
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-10-2008, 07:52 PM
sometimes i think it can be peoples conceptions of how people look to. take me , if people see me and my newfie ollie dandering along usually in the dark (i,m like a good looking version of buster bloodvessel lol , younger people may need to google) it is as quick as they can get passed me no matter how big my cheesy smile is or polite i am , but the both of us are big softies!
Duracell
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I *always* say hi to other dog walkers, and if we're on a walking trail, I normally say hi to other people anyway, I think it's rude not to when you're in such close proximity.... But on the other hand, my wife thinks it's a bit weird to say hello to people that you don't know and will never see again!

I think it's just some people think it's a bit weird. Even if I did think it was weird, if someone said hi to me, I'd most certainly say hello back to them, just to be polite
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 11:17 PM
I think it depends alot on how you are brought up. My dad will speak to anyone and everyone and i always say hello to passers by.
My cousin who is lovely to everyone she knows on the other hand seems confused and very unsure on our random dog walking and pram pushing mornings when we meet other people who say hello!!!
I must admit i was rather amazed at all the people who stop and say hello when i have the dogs with me. Lots of these people walked past me, waited at bus stops with me etc for years and didnt say a word, they seem to be a really good ice breaker!
I love talking to other owners and comparing notes! Invaluable for me as a new dog owner.
Duracell
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by grommit View Post
I think it depends alot on how you are brought up. My dad will speak to anyone and everyone and i always say hello to passers by.
My cousin who is lovely to everyone she knows on the other hand seems confused and very unsure on our random dog walking and pram pushing mornings when we meet other people who say hello!!!
I must admit i was rather amazed at all the people who stop and say hello when i have the dogs with me. Lots of these people walked past me, waited at bus stops with me etc for years and didnt say a word, they seem to be a really good ice breaker!
I love talking to other owners and comparing notes! Invaluable for me as a new dog owner.
I think that's probably it, actually

My parents both do it, whenever we've been out for walks with them, they always say hi to people, it's probably where I've got it from, and it's probably what was missing from my wife's parents.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >