View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Currently Jet's favorite toy is a full sized rugby ball. It holds his attention really well and stops him running off to play with other dogs, but it's really BIG! Other toys we take are balls (which he usually ignores), a mini football (which is fairly good but can loose to other dogs), frisbee (variable interest), a tuggy and a small plush pheasant.

We also carry poo bags, treats and a whistle.

Overkill perhaps, but whatever keeps him close to us at the moment!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I take the dog when we go for walkies! sorry, couldn't resist.

Depending on where we are go varies what I take. I usually just take poo bags, treats, tissue that go into pockets and then I carry a ball or frisbee.

If we take a bag then it usually contains:

Frisbee
Football
Towel
Treats
Poo bags
Water & bowl
Spare lead
Small torch

I also carry my camera with me most times and my purse
and phone.

The first aid kit is a good idea, I usually a have a few sterile wipes as well in the bag.

Must remember to take the dog!!
I've nicked a small animal backpack I found in daughters room so think will start taking that! Now I have more room, can take the camera too.
Tilly will only carry the rope and I must remember to put the emergency cheese triangle back in the fridge as I haven't used it yet - but keep leaving it in my pocket for days & then throwing it away & taking a fesh one!!

Why do people take a spare lead??
Mika's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post

Why do people take a spare lead??
I personally take a spare lead for two reasons. Originally it was so my daughter could walk her too but I'd have the longer lead on her just incase she pulled her.
Also some of my friends kids like to "walk" mika if they see her so again it comes in handy.

I also carry the spare lead in case I see strays or if someone elses dog runs off and asks me to hold it

Natz
xx
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Sorry but if you blasted my dog with an air freshner spray I'd kill you...
Fair enough. But would your dog be out of control and attacking mine?

And I don't mean in the face, it's the noise and maybe the smell that might put 'em off. I might not have worded that right.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Mika's Mum View Post
I personally take a spare lead for two reasons. Originally it was so my daughter could walk her too but I'd have the longer lead on her just incase she pulled her.
Also some of my friends kids like to "walk" mika if they see her so again it comes in handy.

I also carry the spare lead in case I see strays or if someone elses dog runs off and asks me to hold it

Natz
xx
I seee!! good idea though, (rushes out to buy a spare lead!)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Shoulder bag with
ballies - one floaty, one on a rope
poo bags
purse for train ticket and cafe!
Something to read if the weather`s nice.

The whistle goes round my neck, the leads go on the dogs and the treats go in my pocket.

eta - if you have a double ended lead you don`t need a spare!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I really envy those dog owners that just stuff a couple of poo bags in their pockets and they're set.

If you have a high maintenance dog like Pepper the required walking kit is....

Long line (I'm going to post in the behaviour section about this - looking for some advice)
Loads of poo bags - she rarely restricts herself to one
Squeaky cuz or rubber chicken - her most fav toys
3 kinds of treat - for different levels of reward
water - for longer walks or hot days
whistle
kitchen sink - not really! It just feels like it sometimes!

Keys, money, phone for me.

I have one of those messenger bags you wear over your shoulder and across your body to carry it all in.

J
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I dont wear shorts or skirts, mainly walking/hunting type trousers with plenty of pockets so my car keys and phone plus poo bags fit fine in them. I carry the leads in my hand and have the whistle round my neck. If i'm planning on taking dummies etc then I take my game bag with me (which is always handy anyway since the dogs often catch their own tea and it's a bit frowned upon to walk round dangling a pheasant or hare!)

I never take a water bottle and water, I simply let the dogs find their own source be it a puddle, river or whatever. I dunno, maybe thats the wrong attitude but I dont want to be weighed down with stuff like that. I dont even carry a drink round for myself!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I carry a lead, poo bags, keys, phone and water bottle for dogs that has a cord to go over the shoulder. Chip carries a Kong. I don't usually bother with treats unless I'm training something new and even the toy isn't essential.
So much easier than last summer when I needed a long line and treats as well.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I never take a water bottle and water, I simply let the dogs find their own source be it a puddle, river or whatever. I dunno, maybe thats the wrong attitude but I dont want to be weighed down with stuff like that. I dont even carry a drink round for myself!
Every walk we go on there is a water source somewhere, so I don't ever bring water either. My dog has been drinking out of dirty streams/rivers/puddles for 6 years to no ill effect!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >