View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lab Gunner
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2007, 11:06 PM
I did hear that with agility compitions there is a 3 week rule the dog must be clear of medication and coughing and only after 3 weeks being free of this is safe to compete and be in the company of other dogs again
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Two out of the three vets I spoke to, said 3/4 days after all symptons have gone is ok. One said, as long as the dog is on antibiotics, its fine (which I dont believe).
Have told all clients to wait 5 days after all symptons are gone before we can resume, and then it is at my discretion as to if I think the dog is ready or not.
Have offered them all private walks where time is available for the same price as group walk, or at least to let their dogs out for a toilet break for free.

From what I understand, there are 4 types of kennel cough, and only 1 (the most serious) is treated by the kennel cough jab.
The other 3 are milder but can still affect the old, young, and fragile dogs quite badly.
A vet told me that because these 3 are less serious, many dogs can be carrying it with few symptoms (i.e, sneezing, and a day of being tired), and thats one of the main reasons they spread so fast- as not many people notice anything wrong.

The vets dont make it easy for us so they? lol
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 12:30 AM
I had a terrible bout of it a few years ago, poor dogs with thick green snot coming from there noses,,,they coughed up flem,,,it was horrid to watch,
I have seen several diff types,, my bc once had a terrible dry cough,,,no other symptoms but he coughed all night so no one got any sleep, I recently seen a very mild case hardly any symptoms,
antibiotics only work on some straines not all, my own vet recomended I dont take them to shows and so on untill they had been free of symptoms for 14 days,,,stange how there seems to be a huge variation on time to keep them clear of other dogs,,,,x
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lab Gunner View Post
I did hear that with agility compitions there is a 3 week rule the dog must be clear of medication and coughing and only after 3 weeks being free of this is safe to compete and be in the company of other dogs again
This would make sense really wouldnt it? I certainly wouldnt be wanting my dog to be jumping around if it had an URI. A bit like us running around jumping over things etc., when we have the cold. How awful do you feel if you attempt anything energetic?

I was at a show about 3 weeks ago. Following that my youngest Brac had a slight sneeze and cough (like something was caught in her throat) for a day and nothing more. I didnt really think anything of it. One of my other friends old Brac was like Stella too. However, my friend that lives in England called the other day and her young male Brac had caught KC and now her older bitch had it. I could hear her in the background - poor soul!!!

It makes me really angry when people take their dogs to places like shows etc., when they know they have KC> I heard that one person put her dog in the car because it was coughing slightly. It must have been coughing in the morning too before she left!!! She was sitting around the Import ring with her GSP. That's the type of people you are dealing with. Not everybody is considerate to others needs.

I think you've done a good thing advising your clients about KC. It would be an idea to keep a pair of waterproofs etc., in the car so that you can put them on when you are walking the dogs with KC alone. That way you can slip them off and put them in a bag when you get in the car. Better to be safe than sorry!!!! Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Annie
walkiespetcare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I am a dog walker too and would have done excatly the same.

The first sign of a cough and it wont go out with my others, but i do let it out for a wee in their garden, it is so easily spread.

I was told by my vet there are two strains, one would be mild and only last a couple of days (which one of mine had a few years ago) or the more serious type, which can knock a dog down for upto 3 weeks. Was told by same vet, cough no longer contagious once dog has stopped coughing.
katia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I have always understood that the'incubation' period was 3 weeks - in other words if you have been in contact with it you should keep away from others for that time. My vet did tell me some years ago that dogs can remain 'carriers' for about 6 months, no wonder it keeps going around! No-one would keep their dogs in for that long... maybe modern anti-biotics make things better, but then you have to assume that the owner of a sufferer has taken it to a vet.
Katia
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by Lab Gunner View Post
You have learned well glasshopper

This is the actual rule for KC licensed agility competitions :

"Competition of Dogs Suffering from Contagious or Infectious Disease – No dogs suffering from infectious or contagious disease or having been exposed to such disease during the period of 21 days prior to the Competition may compete. Competitors infringing the Regulation will be liable to be fined and/or dealt with under Kennel Club Rule A42."
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
You have learned well glasshopper

This is the actual rule for KC licensed agility competitions :

"Competition of Dogs Suffering from Contagious or Infectious Disease – No dogs suffering from infectious or contagious disease or having been exposed to such disease during the period of 21 days prior to the Competition may compete. Competitors infringing the Regulation will be liable to be fined and/or dealt with under Kennel Club Rule A42."
I did think that 3/5 days was a bit quick, its not like my vet to say somit,,,if its not totaly ness,,,thanks for that patch
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Is there a rule for showing?
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
ok, now I am getting confused.
Any vets on here with official advice?
lol
I can only assume that the show rule applies because the dogs are generally going to be alot more tired, and not in peak condition after having a virus. Or are they still infectious at that stage (because I know that a person wouldnt be if they were getting treatment)?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >