Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by arthur. d. View Post
but i am slightly concerned about any physcological effects it may have on her if any, your thoughts would be appreciated.
You would probably need a vet or experienced dog trainner to say but personally I can see no reason to worry.

Over time your dog will come to see your friend as part of the 'pack' and best of all is the fact that you have solved the potential problem of 'seperation anxiety'

One of the reasons we love our dogs so much is that they absolutely crave company, they are first and foremost social animals, much more so than almost all other species.

Just being boring for a moment have you discussed with your friend the question of 'ownership' Who will feed him, vets bills, insurance, and most sensitive of all is what will you and friend do if there is some 'incident' with Joe Public, will you be the responsible party all the time or only when you have the dog with you and your friend be responsible when he has him.

I say again, I feel it is good that you have someone who can look after your dog when you are at work and vice versa, but please try to cover all potential situations at the beginning and then there should be no problems latter.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I've done this with dogs that I own in partnership with a friend for years. The two that normally lived with her came to me Monday evenings to Thursday/Friday most weeks. It's down to just Roodee coming here now we have lost Loukar.

From July last year Roodee was here full time as Loukar due to his Syringomyelia his behaviour had changed towards Roodee & him staying with Loukar at my friends home would mean one of them being crated at all times all week as Loukar had started attacking Roodee for no reason, here I could separate them & Loukar could have free run at my friends & Roodee here the rest of the tme.

Roodee has gone back to the old routine with no problem at all & enjoys being back"home"again.

You have a really good routine for your girl & she has company that otherwise she wouldn't have.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Think this is an excellent idea fo all concerned.Had a friend with kennels who had 2 dogs who boarded with her from Tuesday to Friday every week & then went home for weekends. They lived this life for many years & were happy to go home but also to come to the kennel. Never seemed to do them any harm.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Sounds to me like all three of you are happy, so it must be working
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I "dog-shared" for a couple of years when we weren't in a position to have a dog of our own permanently. We were renting a bungalow from someone I used to work for and they weren't happy about us having a dog there all week but were fine with us having my Mum's rescue Cairn terrier Badger at weekends.

Badger was rehomed from a farm as a stud dog at 8 years of age and my elderly parents had him during the week and he would potter about on short walks with my Dad a couple of times a day.

I would collect him on a Friday evening and we would take him out to different places and he would have longer walks. He would then be returned to Mum and Dad's on a Sunday evening. He would always be very happy to see me on a Friday night and always be very happy to go back to my parent's house on a Sunday and curl up on the hearthrug.

It worked out well for everyone-Badger was a very special dog and it was a priviledge to have him for the sadly short time that we did.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I share Sadie. I have done for the past 5 years. Walked her for 8. Known her for 9.
It started out I had her holidays and let her out Sundays when her owners went to their Sons footie matches.
Then somewhere along the line she decided she'd come over to mine during the day and go home at night - before we built steps for her she jumped the fences.

So I class her as mine and I have her most weekends and sometimes a week. It gives her a break from the kids and gives her owner a break from poo duty (kids and poo don't mix)

Go for it - if the dog is happy then thats that.
arthur. d.
New Member!
Male 

24-01-2011, 11:13 AM
thanks for all the replys, definatly put my mind at rest about any problems, Losos, my mate has agreed to keep her on the lead when he is in charge to avoid any incidents with joe public, but he will walk her for a lot longer than i do because he is younger and fitter, as regards the vet bills she had to go for a booster jab and worming tablet last week, cost £34 and i jokingly told my mate that he owed me £17.00 he nearly split his sides laughing! but i am fine with that after all he is helping me out.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2