View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:08 PM
It's interesting how folk react to new comers n their dogs sometimes and vice versa. I get bit frightened about going off to new places on my own(without human company) n walking nowadays even though would love to go to countryside and explore.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:40 PM
If we meet someone new - it depends who I have with me at the time. Benjie = avoidance like the plague, unless the other dog is very calm.
Sadie and Louie can meet whoever but like Leanne - I keep mine onlead until I know the other are fine.

I know I shouldn't but with certain breeds that have got a lot of bad press - I take extra caution - but will ask the owner just incase, not because I don't like the other breed, but because most (I know not all) of the breed owners are using the dogs as status symbols.

I do put Louie on lead when meeting little dogs also as he doesn't know how big his paws are.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
It's interesting how folk react to new comers n their dogs sometimes and vice versa. I get bit frightened about going off to new places on my own(without human company) n walking nowadays even though would love to go to countryside and explore.
Just out of interest, why do you get frightened going to new places alone? Is it down to your personal safety?

I ask because I nearly always walk alone and I go to some pretty quiet places where I perhaps see only a couple of people in the distance. I'm quite an explorer, always have been, so I never stick to main paths, I always go off the beaten track and just have to discover where new paths lead. Sometimes i'm fighting my way through the undergrowth because i've gone that far off the trail! It amazes my Mum how I never get lost.

I'll go to the Peak District, forests, anywhere really on my own and it genuinely doesnt bother me. I suppose it should but I love getting out in the countryside too much to let it bother me.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2011, 07:59 PM
I walk my dogs around the fields and along the river close to home at least twice a day. Reading all your comments has made me think I need to change my route occasionally. My 10 month old border collie has become quite lax on her recall and so I'm retraining with a squeaky and lots of fuss. I've been out today hoping to come across some other dog walkers to be able to practise my recall and have only seen one person out walking and that was my neighbour with her very bouncy bouvier, beautiful! The squeaky for my recall worked beautifully but I think I need to take her to some of the busier areas to encounter foot traffic that you all mention!! I never mind another dog bounding up to me as my two just love other dogs to play with but then again I've never had a negative reaction and can see very quickly if one of mine gets their hackles up.....time to move on !!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Its the men in the bushes without a dog that I'm more wary of.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Just out of interest, why do you get frightened going to new places alone? Is it down to your personal safety?

I ask because I nearly always walk alone and I go to some pretty quiet places where I perhaps see only a couple of people in the distance. I'm quite an explorer, always have been, so I never stick to main paths, I always go off the beaten track and just have to discover where new paths lead. Sometimes i'm fighting my way through the undergrowth because i've gone that far off the trail! It amazes my Mum how I never get lost.

I'll go to the Peak District, forests, anywhere really on my own and it genuinely doesnt bother me. I suppose it should but I love getting out in the countryside too much to let it bother me.
I walk alone more now too but then I have a Dobermann....
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post

I've always been the same - then I got a OH who doesn't really like exploring and the last time I explored - there was a real gun pointed towards me and a man in camo - rabbit shooting - scared me so I didn't take that path again

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Its the men in the bushes
without a dog that I'm more wary of.
When Louie was about 5 months I took him and Sadie down the path that goes to a local country park at my parents (it's about 20 minutes away walking) I saw a man with no dog and you know when your gut tells you somethings wrong - well I felt that so I turned tail and ran - Louie closely following - bless him.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:58 PM
We have been well accepted in our local park behind our house and generally further afield. There has been one place that we first took Rolo too when he went off lead, this was a bit strange and you could tell that some of the existing walkers in these huge football fields away from the roads where uncomfortable and not sure of a new kid on the block, we felt a little as though we shouldnt belong.

The other main place that we have been too we have found the complete opposite and people have welcomed us enthusiastically and been really friendly.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:03 PM
I think its nice to see new dogs and thier owners out, I still say hello if I dont recognise them. Sometimes people dont speak back but stuff them
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:08 PM
When Louie was about 5 months I took him and Sadie down the path that goes to a local country park at my parents (it's about 20 minutes away walking) I saw a man with no dog and you know when your gut tells you somethings wrong - well I felt that so I turned tail and ran - Louie closely following - bless him.
There are times I have seen a few of those, my loui goes a bit mental at them if he is onlead and cant go and 'check them out' if off the lead he goes stomping right up to them but dosnt want them to pet him.

Two I didnt realise were there, til he went daft and they were watching.....

I remember one I just had a 'he's weird' feeling, the dog went up and I said wait - well he slowed but kept ahead. the guy says 'struggling' to me. I just smiled, I though better not tell him the truth that he is restraining himself and that we dont like you one bit which is why he wants to go first and put himself between!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >