Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
headchefski
New Member!
Male 

07-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Puppy wees on the floor!

We have house trained our puppy but just lately he has started to wee on the floor even if the door is open for him to go out, can anyone help please!
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 08:03 PM
How old is your puppy?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Ditto the question above...

Also, you shouldn't keep the back door open as technically the pup isn't learning to hold it if he can go out any time he wants.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi,

How old is your pup? How long have you had him and how long have you been hosue training him?

i think it may be worth (assuming there's nothing wrong with him) goin gback to basics and taking him outside after each meal, when he wakes up, after playtime etc so he getsinto a routine again and also knows exaclty where to go to the toilet.

Once he's properly house trained you can leave the door open for him. I think in the first instance, as you'll be taking him out quiteoften, you shoul dkeep the door closed - not least because it's cold outside.

Laura xx
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
hay,
could it be a water infection? if not, i wouldnt leave the door open all the time as has been said this isnt actually teaching house training.
What are you cleaning the floor with anthing pine could induce sent marking.
Everytime there is a slip in the house training, then take the training back to basics.
ATD x
headchefski
New Member!
Male 

08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Guinness is 10 weeks old and we have had him for 3 weeks, but he was really good after only a week.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by headchefski View Post
Guinness is 10 weeks old and we have had him for 3 weeks, but he was really good after only a week.
Hi Paul at ten weeks old your puppy is unlikely to be house trained. Puppies don't begin to get control of they bodily functions until 16 week old. Until then your aim should be to teach him the behaviour you require then keep reinforcing it so it becomes natural behaviour . By this time he should be able to wait a little time to go out.

Until your puppy is house trained I would keep him in the kitchen and only allow him in other rooms when he has been out and you know he is 'empty'.

To house train your puppy take him out at times when when it is most likely to want to relieve himself, that is first thing in the morning/last thing at night/ straight after food / after play/excitement/when the puppy sniffs the ground and circles/about an hour after the puppy last went out.

I would take him out for a short walk (not for long exercise after food) at the times listed above preferably to a place where other dogs have been , their scent and a little exercise will help to prompt him to eliminate. When he does go give a reward (something tasty) and lots of praise .

It is a good idea to teach your puppy to eliminate on command too so that he learns to 'go' when requested and that doing so outside in your presence is rewarding (going inside brings no reward).
First your puppy needs to learn a 'prompt' word and what a word means, (I say 'beclean' ) .
To teach the puppy the meaning of the word it is important to say the word when the puppy is in the middle of relieving itself so that he associates the word with the action, then the moment he finishes going treat/praise. Timing is very important here, get it wrong and the puppy will be receiving praise for the wrong thing .

Once the puppy has learnt to associate the word with the action you can then use the word to prompt your puppy to eliminate . I use high value treats like chicken pieces to train this , after a while the treats should be given randomly then not at all but always give praise.

You also need to thouroughly clean any previously soiled areas with a none ammonia based cleaner or the scent of previous accidents will prompt your puppy to soil again in the same place (biological washing powder or special stain devil is good for this) . I would not acknowledge when your puppy has an accident, no word no eye contact or it may become afraid to relieve itself in your presence and you don't want to reward the unwanted behaviour with your attention
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I would like to say that Minihaha gave me advice last week and it worked 100%
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-02-2010, 06:30 PM
At 10 weeks a puppy usually will show signs it needs to go out if you are watching carefully. It could be you have relaxed too soon. Use closed doors or gates to keep the puppy where you can watch it.

It is also possible it has a UTI. If he is frequently straining and dribbling, see the vet. Take a sample of urin if you can. Those that don't housebreak many puppies may forget details. Having done one each year since 1991, I don't miss a trick.
headchefski
New Member!
Male 

08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Paul at ten weeks old your puppy is unlikely to be house trained. Puppies don't begin to get control of they bodily functions until 16 week old. Until then your aim should be to teach him the behaviour you require then keep reinforcing it so it becomes natural behaviour . By this time he should be able to wait a little time to go out.

Until your puppy is house trained I would keep him in the kitchen and only allow him in other rooms when he has been out and you know he is 'empty'.

To house train your puppy take him out at times when when it is most likely to want to relieve himself, that is first thing in the morning/last thing at night/ straight after food / after play/excitement/when the puppy sniffs the ground and circles/about an hour after the puppy last went out.

I would take him out for a short walk (not for long exercise after food) at the times listed above preferably to a place where other dogs have been , their scent and a little exercise will help to prompt him to eliminate. When he does go give a reward (something tasty) and lots of praise .

It is a good idea to teach your puppy to eliminate on command too so that he learns to 'go' when requested and that doing so outside in your presence is rewarding (going inside brings no reward).
First your puppy needs to learn a 'prompt' word and what a word means, (I say 'beclean' ) .
To teach the puppy the meaning of the word it is important to say the word when the puppy is in the middle of relieving itself so that he associates the word with the action, then the moment he finishes going treat/praise. Timing is very important here, get it wrong and the puppy will be receiving praise for the wrong thing .

Once the puppy has learnt to associate the word with the action you can then use the word to prompt your puppy to eliminate . I use high value treats like chicken pieces to train this , after a while the treats should be given randomly then not at all but always give praise.

You also need to thouroughly clean any previously soiled areas with a none ammonia based cleaner or the scent of previous accidents will prompt your puppy to soil again in the same place (biological washing powder or special stain devil is good for this) . I would not acknowledge when your puppy has an accident, no word no eye contact or it may become afraid to relieve itself in your presence and you don't want to reward the unwanted behaviour with your attention
Thank you very much for that I will try and take all your advice and let you know how I get on,
Paul
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >